Social Effects of Robot Therapy in a Care House
– Change of Social Network of the Residents for One Year –
Kazuyoshi Wada*,** and Takanori Shibata**
*Tokyo Metropolitan University, 6-6 Asahigaoka, Hino, Tokyo 191-0065, Japan
**National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, 1-1-1 Umezono, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8568, Japan
– Change of Social Network of the Residents for One Year –,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.13 No.4, pp. 386-392, 2009.
-  T. Shibata, et al., “Emotional Robot for Intelligent System - Artificial Emotional Creature Project,” Proc. 5th IEEE Int. Workshop on ROMAN, pp. 466-471, 1996.
-  T. Shibata and R. Irie, “Artificial Emotional Creature for Human-Robot Interaction - A New Direction for Intelligent System,” Proc. of the IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on AIM'97 (Jun. 1997) paper number 47 and 6 pages in CD-ROM Proc.
-  T. Shibata, et al., “Artificial Emotional Creature for Human-Machine Interaction,” Proc. the IEEE Int. Conf. SMC, pp. 2269-2274, 1997.
-  T. Shibata, T. Tashima, and K. Tanie, “Emergence of Emotional Behavior through Physical Interaction between Human and Robot,” Procs. the 1999 IEEE ICRA, 1999.
-  T. Shibata, T. Tashima, K. Tanie, “Subjective Interpretation of Emotional Behavior through Physical Interaction between Human and Robot,” Procs. of Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 1024-1029, 1999.
-  T. Shibata, K. Tanie, “Influence of A-Priori Knowledge in Subjective Interpretation and Evaluation by Short-Term Interaction with Mental Commit Robot,” Proc. the IEEE Int. Conf. IROS, 2000.
-  T. Shibata, et al., “Mental Commit Robot and its Application to Therapy of Children,” Proc. of the IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on AIM'01, paper number 182 and 6 pages in CD-ROM, July. 2001.
-  T. Shibata, K. Wada, T. Saito, and K. Tanie, “Robot Assisted Activity for Senior People at Day Service Center,” Proc. Int. Conf. ITM, pp. 71-76, 2001.
-  K. Wada, T. Shibata, T. Saito, and K. Tanie., “Effects of Robot Assisted Activity for Elderly People and Nurses at a Day Service Center,” Proc. of the IEEE, Vol.92, No.11, pp. 1780-1788, 2004.
-  K. Wada, T. Shibata, T. Saito, and K. Tanie, “Analysis of Factors that Bring Mental Effects to Elderly People in Robot Assisted Activity,” Proc. the IEEE Int. Conf. Intelligent Robot and Systems, 2002.
-  T. Saito, T. Shibata, K. Wada, and K. Tanie, “Examination of Change of Stress Reaction by Urinary Tests of Elderly before and after Introduction of Mental Commit Robot to an Elderly Institution,” Proc. of the 7th Int. Symp. on AROB, Vol.1, pp. 316-319, 2002.
-  K. Wada, T. Shibata, T. Saito, K. Sakamoto, and K. Tanie, “Psychological and Social Effects of One Year Robot Assisted Activity on Elderly People at a Health Service Facility for the Aged,” Proc. IEEE ICRA, pp. 2796-2801 2005.
-  K. Wada, T. Shibata, T. Musha, and S. Kimura, “Effects of Robot Therapy for Demented Patients Evaluated by EEG,” Proc. the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. IROS, pp. 2205-2210, 2005.
-  K. Wada and T. Shibata, “Robot Therapy in a Care House - Its Sociopsychological and Physiological Effects on the Residents,” Proc. IEEE ICRA, pp. 3966-3971, 2006.
-  K. Wada and T. Shibata, “Robot Therapy in a Care House - Results of Case Studies -, Proc. IEEE Int. Workshop ROMAN, pp. 581-586, 2006.
-  K. Wada and T. Shibata, “Living with Seal Robots in a Care House - Evaluations of Social and Physiological Influences -,” Proc. the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. IROS, pp. 4940-4945, 2006.
-  K. Wada and T. Shibata, “Social Effects of Robot Therapy in a Care House - Change of Social Network of the Residents for Two Months -,” Proc. IEEE ICRA, pp. 1250-1255, 2007.
-  K. Wada and T. Shibata, “Living with Seal Robots -- Its Socio- psychological and Physiological Influences on the Elderly in a Care House,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol.23, No.5, pp. 972-980, 2007.
-  T. Shibata, “Ubiquitous Surface Tactile Sensor,” 2004 1st IEEE TExCRA Proc. pp. 5, 6, 2004.
-  T. Shibata, “An Overview of Human Interactive Robots for Psychological Enrichment,” Proc. of the IEEE, Vol.92, No.11, pp. 1749-1758, 2004.
-  I. Werry and K. Dautenhahn, “Applying Mobile Robot Technology to the Rehabilitation of Autistic Children,” Proc. of 7th Int. Symp. on Intelligent Robotic Systems, pp. 265-272, 1999.
-  B. Robins, et al. “Robotic Assistants in Therapy and Education of Children with Autism: Can a Small Humanoid Robot Help Encourage Social Interaction Skills?,” Journal of Universal Access in the Information Society, Vol.4, No.2, 2005.
-  A. Yokoyama, “The Possibility of the Psychiatric Treatment with a Robot as an Intervention -From the Viewpoint of Animal Therapy-,” Proc. Joint 1st Int. Conf. SCIS and ISIS, paper number 23Q1-1, 2002.
-  E. Libin and A. Libin, “Robotherapy: Definition, Assessment, and Case Study,” Proc. Int. Conf. Virtual Systems and Multimedia, pp. 906-915, 2002.
-  E. Ohkubo, et al. “Studies on Necessary Condition of Companion Robot in the RAA Application,” Proc. 2003 IEEE Int. Sympo. CIRA, pp. 101-106, 2003.
-  M. Kanamori, et al. “Maintenance and Improvement of Quality of Life Among Elderly Patients Using a Pet-type Robot,” Nippon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi. Vol.39, No.2, pp. 214-218, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  T. Tamura, et al. “Is an Entertainment Robot Useful in the Care of Elderly People with Severe Dementia?,” Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences, Vol.59A, No.1, pp. 83-85, 2004.
-  C. Kidd, et al. “A Social Robot to Encourage Social Interaction among the Elderly,” Proc. IEEE ICRA, pp. 3972-3976, 2006.
-  P. Marti, et al. “Socially Assistive Robotics in the Treatment of Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia,” Proc. BioRob 2006.
-  M. M. Baum, N. Bergstrom, N. F. Langston, and L. Thoma, “Physiological Effects of Human/Companion Animal Bonding,” Nursing Research, Vol.33. No.3, pp. 126-129, 1984.
-  J. Gammonley and J. Yates, “Pet Projects Animal Assisted Therapy in Nursing Homes,” J. Gerontol. Nurs., Vol.17, No.1, pp. 12-15, 1991.
-  M. Fujita and H. Kitano, “An Development of an Autonomous Quadruped Robot for Robot Entertainment, Autonomous Robots,” Vol.5, pp. 7-18, 1998.
-  M. F. Folstein, et al. “Mini-Mental State: a Practical Method for Grading the Cognitive State of Patients for the Clinician,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, Vol.12, pp. 189-98, 1975.
-  S. Weller and A. Romney, “Systematic Data Collection,” Qualitative Research Methods Series 10, California, Sage Publications Inc., 1988.
-  J. Scott, “Social Network Analysis: a handbook,” SAGE Publications, 1991.
-  L. F. Berkman and S. L. Syme, “Social Networks, Host Resistance, and Mortality: A Nine-Year Follow-up Study of Alameda County Residents,” Am. J. Epidemiology, Vol.109, No.2, pp. 186-204, 1979.
-  M. Zunzunegui, et al. “Social Networks, Social Integration, and Social Engagement Determine Cognitive Decline in Community-Dwelling Spanish Older Adults,” Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences, Vol.58B, No.2, pp.98-100, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.