Profile Generation for TV Program Recommendation Based on Utterance Analysis
Yasufumi Takama and Yuki Muto
Tokyo Metropolitan University, Tokyo, Japan
This paper proposes a method for generating user profile that is to be used for TV program recommendation. The proposed method does not estimate user’s interest in a TV program only based on its watching time as most of existing methods do, but also based on user’s utterances by applying sentiment analysis. Three kinds of scores are calculated for each watched program, based on which fuzzy inference is performed to estimate its rating. After the estimation, profile structure is obtained by generating category and subcategory layers. This paper mainly focuses on estimation of users’ ratings on TV programs. Experiments are performed with test subjects, and the results show the proposed method can improve the estimation accuracy of ratings compared with existing approach using only watching time. Although the proposed method includes language-dependent processing, it is expected the core of estimation rating can be applied to other languages.
-  Y. Takama, “Introduction of Humatronics – Towards Integration of Web Intelligence and Robotics,” CISIM2007, pp. 37-44, 2007.
-  A. Taylor and R. Harper, “Switching On to Switch Off: a Analysis of Routine TV Watching Habits and Their Implications for Electronic Programme Guide Design,” usableiTV, 1, pp. 7-13, 2002.
-  Y. B. Fernandez, J. J. P. Arias, M. L. Nores, A. G. Solla, and M. R. Cabrer, “AVATAR: An Improved Solution for Personalized TV based on Semantic Inference,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol.52, No.1, pp. 223-231, 2006.
-  T. Isobe, M. Fujiwara, H. Kaneta, N. Uratani, and T. Morita, “Development and Features of a TV Navigation Sys-tem,” IEEE Trans. on Consumer Electronics, Vol.49, No.4, pp. 1035-1042, 2003.
-  H. Zhang, S. Zheng, and J. Yuan, “A Personalized TV Guide System Compliant with MHP,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol.51, No.2, pp. 731-737, 2005.
-  H. Zhang and S. Zheng, “Personalized TV Program Recommendation based on TV-Anytime Metadata,” Proc. of the Ninth Int. Symposium on Consumer Electronics (ISCE 2005), pp. 242-246, 2005.
-  Y. Zhiwen and X. Zhou, “TV3P: An Adaptive Assistant for Personalized TV,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol.50, No.1, pp. 393-399, 2004.
-  N. Daita, J. M. Pires, M. Cardoso, and H. Pita, “Temporal Patterns of TV Watching for Portuguese Viewers,” 2005 Portuguese Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 151-158, 2005.
-  T. Inui and M. Okumura, “A Survey of Sentiment Analysis,” Journal of Natural Language Processing, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 201-241, 2006 (in Japanese).