The Design of Central Pattern Generators Based on the Matsuoka Oscillator to Generate Rhythmic Human-Like Movement for Biped Robots
Guang Lei Liu, Maki K. Habib, Keigo Watanabe, and Kiyotaka Izumi
Department of Advanced Systems Control Engineering, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Saga University, 1 Honjomachi, Saga 840-8502, Japan
-  K. Hirai, M. Hirose, Y. Haikawa, and T. Takenaka, “The development of Honda humanoid robot,” in Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA’98), Vol.2, pp. 1321-1326, 1998.
-  M. Vukobratovic, B. Borovac, D. Surla, and D. Stokic, “Biped Locomotion: Dynamics Stability, Control and Application,” New York, NY: Springer-Verlag, 1990.
-  S. F. Giszter, K. A. Moxon, I. A. Rybak, and J. K. Chapin, “Neurobiological and neurorobotic approaches to control architectures for a humanoid motor system,” J. of Robotics and Autonomous System, Vol.37, No.2-3, pp. 219-235, 2001.
-  S. Grillner, P. Wallen, L. Brodin, and A. Lansner, “Neuronal network generating locomotor behavior in lamprey: Circuitry, transmitters, membrane properties, and simulation,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, Vol.14, pp. 169-199, 1991.
-  Delcomyn, “Neural basis of rhythmic behavior in animals,” J. of Science, Vol.210, pp. 492-498, 1980.
-  E. Marder and R. L. Calabrese, “Principles of rhythmic motor pattern generation,” Physiological Review, Vol.76, pp. 687-717, 1996.
-  A. H. Cohen, “Control principle for locomotion - looking toward biology,” in Proc. of the 2nd Int. Symposium on Adaptive Motion of Animals and Machines, TuP-K-1, 2003.
-  K. Matsuoka, “Sustained oscillations generated by mutually inhibiting neurons with adaptation,” J. of Biological Cybernetics, Vol.52, pp. 367-376, 1985.
-  K. Matsuoka, “Mechanisms of frequency and pattern control in the neural rhythm generators,” J. of Biological Cybernetics, Vol.56, pp. 345-353, 1987.
-  G. Taga, Y. Yamaguchi, and H. Shimizu, “Self-organized control of bipedal locomotion by neural oscillators in unpredictable environment,” J. of Biological Cybernetics, Vol.65, pp. 147-159, 1991.
-  Y. Nakamura, M. Sato, and S. Ishii, “Reinforcement learning for biped robot,” in Proc. of the 2nd Int. Symposium on Adaptive Motion of Animals and Machines, Kyoto, March 4-8, 2003.
-  T. Ishii, S. Masakado, and K. Ishii, “Locomotion of a quadruped robot using CPG,” in Proc. of IJCNN’04, 2004.
-  A. Fujii, A. Ishiguro, and P. E. Hotz, “Real-time action selection of a biped robot using polymorphic CPG circuits,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 478-484, 2004.
-  J. J. Hu, M. M. William, and G. A. Pratt, “Bipedal locomotion control with rhythmic oscillators,” in Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1475-1481, 1999.
-  M. Williamson, “Neural control of rhythmic arm movements,” Neural Networks, Vol.11, pp. 1379-1394, 1988.
-  M. Sugisaka, K. Imamura, K. Tokuda, and M. Masuda, “A new artificial life body: Biologically inspired dynamic bipedal humanoid robots,” Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.8, pp. 1-4, 2004.
-  L. Righetti and A. J. Ijspeert, “Programmable central pattern generators: An application to biped locomotion control,” in Proc. of the 2006 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1585-1590, 2006.
-  Y. Fukuoka and H. Kimura, “Biologically inspired adaptive dynamic walking of a quadruped on irregular terrain,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.5, pp. 569-580, 2003.
-  J. Nakanishi, J. Morimoto, G. Endo, G. Cheng, S. Schaal, and M, Kawato, “Learning from demonstration and adaptation of biped locomotion,” J. of Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.47, pp. 79-91, 2004.
-  V. A. Makarov, E. Del Rio, M. G. Bedia, M. G. Velarde, and W. Ebeling, “Central pattern generator incorporating the actuator dynamics for a hexapod robot,” Transactions on Engineering, Computing and Technology, Vol.15, pp. 19-24, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.