The Design of Central Pattern Generators Based on the Matsuoka Oscillator to Generate Rhythmic Human-Like Movement for Biped Robots
Guang Lei Liu, Maki K. Habib, Keigo Watanabe, and Kiyotaka Izumi
Department of Advanced Systems Control Engineering, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Saga University, 1 Honjomachi, Saga 840-8502, Japan
We propose a controller based on a central pattern generator (CPG) network of mutually coupled Matsuoka nonlinear neural oscillators to generate rhythmic human-like movement for biped robots. The parameters of mutually inhibited and coupled Matsuoka oscillators and the necessary interconnection coupling coefficients within the CPG network directly influence the generation of the required rhythmic signals related to targeted motion. Our objective is to analyze the mutually coupled neuron models of Matsuoka oscillators to realize an efficient CPG design that leads to have dynamic, stable, sustained rhythmic movement with robust gaits for bipedal robots. We discuss the design of a CPG model with new interconnection coupling links and its inhibitation coefficients for a CPG-based controller. The new design was studied through interaction between simulated interconnection coupling dynamics with six links and a musculoskeletal model with the 6 degrees of freedom (DOFs) of a biped robot. We used the weighted outputs of mutually inhibited oscillators as torques to actuate joints. We verified the effectiveness of our proposal through simulation and compared the results to those of Taga’s CPG model, confirming better, more efficient generation of stable rhythmic walking at different speeds and robustness in response to disturbances.
-  K. Hirai, M. Hirose, Y. Haikawa, and T. Takenaka, “The development of Honda humanoid robot,” in Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA’98), Vol.2, pp. 1321-1326, 1998.
-  M. Vukobratovic, B. Borovac, D. Surla, and D. Stokic, “Biped Locomotion: Dynamics Stability, Control and Application,” New York, NY: Springer-Verlag, 1990.
-  S. F. Giszter, K. A. Moxon, I. A. Rybak, and J. K. Chapin, “Neurobiological and neurorobotic approaches to control architectures for a humanoid motor system,” J. of Robotics and Autonomous System, Vol.37, No.2-3, pp. 219-235, 2001.
-  S. Grillner, P. Wallen, L. Brodin, and A. Lansner, “Neuronal network generating locomotor behavior in lamprey: Circuitry, transmitters, membrane properties, and simulation,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, Vol.14, pp. 169-199, 1991.
-  Delcomyn, “Neural basis of rhythmic behavior in animals,” J. of Science, Vol.210, pp. 492-498, 1980.
-  E. Marder and R. L. Calabrese, “Principles of rhythmic motor pattern generation,” Physiological Review, Vol.76, pp. 687-717, 1996.
-  A. H. Cohen, “Control principle for locomotion - looking toward biology,” in Proc. of the 2nd Int. Symposium on Adaptive Motion of Animals and Machines, TuP-K-1, 2003.
-  K. Matsuoka, “Sustained oscillations generated by mutually inhibiting neurons with adaptation,” J. of Biological Cybernetics, Vol.52, pp. 367-376, 1985.
-  K. Matsuoka, “Mechanisms of frequency and pattern control in the neural rhythm generators,” J. of Biological Cybernetics, Vol.56, pp. 345-353, 1987.
-  G. Taga, Y. Yamaguchi, and H. Shimizu, “Self-organized control of bipedal locomotion by neural oscillators in unpredictable environment,” J. of Biological Cybernetics, Vol.65, pp. 147-159, 1991.
-  Y. Nakamura, M. Sato, and S. Ishii, “Reinforcement learning for biped robot,” in Proc. of the 2nd Int. Symposium on Adaptive Motion of Animals and Machines, Kyoto, March 4-8, 2003.
-  T. Ishii, S. Masakado, and K. Ishii, “Locomotion of a quadruped robot using CPG,” in Proc. of IJCNN’04, 2004.
-  A. Fujii, A. Ishiguro, and P. E. Hotz, “Real-time action selection of a biped robot using polymorphic CPG circuits,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 478-484, 2004.
-  J. J. Hu, M. M. William, and G. A. Pratt, “Bipedal locomotion control with rhythmic oscillators,” in Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1475-1481, 1999.
-  M. Williamson, “Neural control of rhythmic arm movements,” Neural Networks, Vol.11, pp. 1379-1394, 1988.
-  M. Sugisaka, K. Imamura, K. Tokuda, and M. Masuda, “A new artificial life body: Biologically inspired dynamic bipedal humanoid robots,” Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.8, pp. 1-4, 2004.
-  L. Righetti and A. J. Ijspeert, “Programmable central pattern generators: An application to biped locomotion control,” in Proc. of the 2006 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1585-1590, 2006.
-  Y. Fukuoka and H. Kimura, “Biologically inspired adaptive dynamic walking of a quadruped on irregular terrain,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.5, pp. 569-580, 2003.
-  J. Nakanishi, J. Morimoto, G. Endo, G. Cheng, S. Schaal, and M, Kawato, “Learning from demonstration and adaptation of biped locomotion,” J. of Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.47, pp. 79-91, 2004.
-  V. A. Makarov, E. Del Rio, M. G. Bedia, M. G. Velarde, and W. Ebeling, “Central pattern generator incorporating the actuator dynamics for a hexapod robot,” Transactions on Engineering, Computing and Technology, Vol.15, pp. 19-24, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.