A Method to Estimate the Multimedia Communication Bands Based upon Multi-Order Markov Model
Tetsuya Kojima*, Lkhamsuren Enkhtur**, Akiko Fujiwara***,
and Masahiro Aono*
*Tokyo National College of Technology, 1220-2 Kunugidamachi, Hachioji-shi, Tokyo 193-0997, Japan
**University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki 305-8577, Japan
***NTT Communications Corporation, NTT Otemachi Bldg. 6F, 3-5 Otemachi 2-Chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0004, Japan
Surplus bands inevitably occur in the multimedia communication bands when VBR encoding is used for data streaming. These bands can be used efficiently by transmitting the other data such as a kind of additive static contents at the same time. However, there are some delays for adding the data, so that the transmission rates of the total data frequently exceed the maximum communication band. This is because each surplus bandwidth is calculated from the formerly observed data. We have proposed a method to estimate the surplus bandwidth by using the multi-order Markov model together with the quantization of the bandwidth. In this paper, we investigate the optimal quantization method for a given streaming video data. In addition, the effectiveness of the proposed method is evaluated under the optimal quantization settings. Discussions for some problems in future studies are also included.
and Masahiro Aono, “A Method to Estimate the Multimedia Communication Bands Based upon Multi-Order Markov Model,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.11, No.6, pp. 655-661, 2007.
-  S. G. Deshpande and J.-N. Hwang, “A Real-Time Interactive Virtual Classroom Multimedia Distance Learning System,” IEEE Trans. Multimedia, 3(4), pp. 432-444, December, 2001.
-  T. S. Han and K. Kobayashi, “Mathematics of Information and Coding,” American Mathematical Society, Providence, Rhode Island, 2002.
-  T. Kojima, A. Fujiwara, and M. Aono, “On the Estimation of the Multimedia Communication Band Using Multi-Order Markov Model,” Proc. of Joint 3rd International Conference on Soft Computing and Information Systems and 7th International Symposium on Advanced Information Systems (SCIS & ISIS 2006), pp. 378-383, September, 2006.
-  N. Merhav, M. Gutman, and J. Ziv, “On the Estimation of the Order of a Markov Chain and Universal Data Compression,” IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, 35(5), pp. 1014-1019, September, 1989.
-  R. Steinmetz and K. Nahrstedt, “Multimedia: Computing, Communications and Applications,” Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1995.
-  M. Taniguchi, T. Murao, T. Kushida, H. Hagino, N. Yasuki, H. Inamura, and N. Yamanouchi, “Bandwidth Estimation and Multimedia Contents Transfer Control in a Wireless Network Environment,” IPSJ (Information Processing Society of Japan) SIG Technical Report (DPS), 2001(107), pp. 65-70, November, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  T. Turletti and C. Huitema, “Videoconferencing on the Internet,” IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, 4(3), pp. 340-351, June, 1996.
-  D. Wu, Y. T. Hou, W. Zhu, Y.-Q. Zhang, and J. M. Peha, “Streaming Video over the Internet: Approaches and Directions,” IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., 11(3), pp. 282-300, March, 2001.