A Backward Feature Selection by Creating Compact Neural Network Using Coherence Learning and Pruning
Md. Monirul Kabir*, Md. Shahjahan**, and Kazuyuki Murase*,***
*Department of Human and Artificial Intelligence Systems, Graduate School of Engineering, University of Fukui, 3-9-1 Bunkyo, Fukui 910-8507, Japan
**Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Khulna University of Engineering and Technology, Building no-13E, KUET Campus, Khulna-9203, Bangladesh
***Research and Education Program for Life Science, University of Fukui
-  R. Sateino and H. Liu, “Neural Network Feature Selector,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol.8, 1997.
-  S. Guan, J. Liu, and Y. Qi, “An Incremental approach to Contribution-based Feature Selection,” Journal of Intelligence Systems, Vol.13, No.1, 2004.
-  S. Abe, “Modified Backward Feature Selection by CrossValidation,” Proceedings of the European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks, pp. 163-168, April, 2005.
-  G. Bontempi, “Structural feature selection for wrapper methods,” Proceedings of the European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks, pp. 405-410, April, 2005.
-  R. Kohavi and G. H. John, “Wrappers for feature subset selection,” Artificial Intelligence, Vol.97, pp. 273-324, 1997.
-  H. Liu and L. Tu, “Toward Integrating Feature Selection Algorithms for Classification and Clustering,” IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 491-502, April, 2005.
-  T. W. S. Chow and D. Huang, “Estimating optimal feature subsets using efficient estimation of high-dimensional mutual information,” IEEE Tans. Neural Netw., Vol.16, No.1, pp. 213-224, Jan., 2005.
-  V. Sindhwani, S. Rakshit, D. Deodhare, D. Erdogmus, J. Principe, and P. Niyogi, “Feature selection in MLPs and SVMs based on maximum output information,” IEEE Trans. Neural Netw., Vol.15, No.4, pp. 937-948, Jul., 2004.
-  N. Kambhatla and T. K. Leen, “Dimension reduction by local principal component analysis,” Neural Compt., Vol.9, No.7, pp. 1493-1516, 1997.
-  J. T. Kwok and I. W. Tsang, “The pre-image problem in kernel methods,” IEEE Trans, Neural Netw., Vol.15, No.6, pp. 1517-1525, Nov., 2004.
-  A. D. Back and T. P. Trappenberg, “Selecting inputs for modeling using normalized higher order statistics and independent component analysis,” IEEE Trans. Neural Netw., Vol.12, No.3, pp. 612-617, May, 2001.
-  M. D. Plumbley and E. Oja, “A nonnegative PCA algorithm for independent component analysis,” IEEE Trans. Neural Netw., Vol.15, No.1, pp. 66-76, Jan., 2004.
-  K. Z. Mao, “Fast orthogonal forward selection algorithm for feature subset selection,” IEEE Trans. Neural Netw., Vol.13, No.5, pp. 1218-1224, Sep., 2002.
-  K. Z. Mao, “Orthogonal forward selection and backward elimination algorithms for feature subset selection,” IEEE Trans. Syst., Man, Cybern. B, Cybern., Vol.34, No.1, pp. 629-634, Feb., 2004.
-  R. Caruana and V. D. Sa, “Benefitting from the variables that variable selection discards,” J. Mach. Learn. Res., Vol.3, pp. 1245-1264, 2003.
-  K. Dunne, P. Cunningham, and F. Azuaje, “Solutions to Instability Problems with Sequential Wrapper-based Approaches to Feature Selection,” Journal of Machine Learning Research, 2002.
-  R. Kohavi and D. Sommerfield, “Feature subset selection using the wrapper method: Overfitting and dynamic search space topology,” Proceedings of the First International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining KDD, Menlo Park, California, USA, AAAI Press, 1995.
-  M. Shahjahan and K. Murase, “Neural Network Training Algorithm with Positive Correlation,” IEICE Trans.Inf. & Syst., Vol.E88-D, No.10, pp. 2399-2409, October, 2005.
-  L. Prechelt, “PROBEN1-A set of neural network benchmark problems and benchmarking rules,” Technical Report 21/94, Faculty of Informatics, University of Karlsruhe, Germany, 1994.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.