Unfolding of Massive Laundry and Classification Types by Dual Manipulator
Fumiaki Osawa*, Hiroaki Seki**, and Yoshitsugu Kamiya**
*Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Daido Institute of Technology, 10-3 Takiharu-cho, Minami-ku, Nagoya 457-8530, Japan
**Faculty of Engineering, Kanazawa University, Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920-1192, Japan
With a progress of an aging society with fewer children, an introduction of robots for family use is expected. Focusing on laundry cleanup by robots, we are studying clothing classification for folding by a dual manipulator. Fabrics vary greatly in handling, making it difficult for robots to recognize and handle them easily. We propose determining clothing form and classifying types by alternately regrasping clothing and expanding them using a dual manipulator. Because clothing is classified and unfolded simultaneously, folding after this is easy. We confirmed the feasibility of our proposal in classifications using a real machine and eight types of laundry.
-  P. M. Taylor, “Sensory Robotics for the Handling of Limp Materials,” Springer-Verlag, 1990.
-  G. J. Monkman, “Robot Grippers for Use with Fibrous Materials,” Int. Jour. of Robotics Research, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 144-151, 1995.
-  N. Fahantidis, N. Paraschidis, K. Petridis, V. Doulgeri, Z. Petrou, and L. Hasapis, “Robot handling of Flat Textile Materials,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Mar., 1997, pp. 34-41, 1997.
-  E. Torgerson and F. W. Paul, “Vision Guided Robotic Manipulation for Apparel Manufacturing,” Proc.1987 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.2, pp. 1196-1202, 1987.
-  K. Paraschidis, K. Fahantidis, N. Vassiliadis, and V. Petridis, “A Robotic System for Handling Textile Materials,” Proc. 1995 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.3, pp. 1769-1774, 1995.
-  T. Kabaya and M. Kakikura, “Service Robot for Housekeeping –Clothing Handling–,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 252-257, 1998.
-  F. Osawa and M. Kakikura, “A Design Method for Effective Grasping of Washed Clothes,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.19, No.6, pp. 59-67, 2001.
-  E. Ono, N. Kita, and S. Sakane, “Unfolding a Folded Fabric Using Information of Outline with Vision and touch Sensor,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 275-283, 1997.
-  K. Hamajima and M. Kakikura, “Planning Strategy for Task Untangling Laundry –Isolating Clothes from a Washed Mass–,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 244-251, 1998.
-  K. Hamajima and M. Kakikura, “Planning Strategy for Task of Unfolding Clothes –Classification of Clothes–,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 577-584, 2000.