Landscape Image Retrieval with Query by Sketch and Icon
Takahiro Hayashi, Atsushi Ishikawa, and Rikio Onai
The University of Electro-Communications, 1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
This paper reports a new method for retrieving landscape images using a sketch and icons as a query. Based on the proposal, first, a user sketches lines expressing contours of landscape elements such as mountains and forests and attaches icons expressing landscape elements to the sketch. Second, whether individual images in a database match with the layout expressed by the sketch and icons is judged with principal component analysis and pattern recognition. From experimental results, we have confirmed that the proportion of the correct images ranked within top 10 of retrieval results is 80% in an average.
-  M. S. Lew, “Next-Generation Web Searches for Visual Content,” IEEE Computer, Vol.33, No.11. pp. 46-53, 2000.
-  M. L. Kherfi and D. Ziou, “Image Retrieval From the World Wide Web: Issues, Techniques, and Systems,” ACM Computing Surveys, Vol.36, No.1, pp. 35-67, 2004.
-  T. Amagasa, M. Nakai, K. Hatano, M. Yoshikawa, and S. Uemura, “Keyword Assignment to Images Using Sliding Windows,” Proc. ADBIS-DASFAA Symposium Advances in Databases and Information Systems, pp. 1-10, 2000.
-  W. Li, K. S. Candan, and K. Hirata, “SEMCOG: An Integration of SEMantics and COGnition-based Approaches for Image Retrieval,” Proc. ACM Symposium Applied Computing, pp. 136-143, 1997.
-  M. Flickner, H. Sawhney, W. Niblack, J. Ashley, Q. Huang, B. Dom, M. Gorkani, J. Hafner, D. Lee, D. Petkovic, D. Steele, and P. Yanker, “Query by Image and Video Content: The QBIC system,” IEEE Computer, Vol.28, pp. 23-32, 1995.
-  J. R. Smith and S. Chang, “VisualSEEk: A Fully Automated Content-Based Image Query System,” Proc. ACM Int. Conf. Multimedia, pp. 87-93, 1996.
-  T. Kato, T. Kurita, N. Otsu, and K. Hirata, “A Sketch Retrieval Method for Full Color Image Database –Query by Visual Example–,” Proc. Int. Conf. Pattern Recognition, pp. 530-533, 1992.
-  M. Mukunoki, M. Minoh, and K. Ikeda, “Retrieval of Landscape Images and Automatic Index Generation by Using Object Sketches,” Systems and Computers in Japan, Vol.30, No.12, pp. 85-94, 1999.
-  J. Hu and A. Bagga, “Categorizing Images in Web Documents,” IEEE Multimedia, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 22-30, 2004.
-  J. S. Weszka, C. R. Dyer, and A. Rosenfield, “A Comparative Study of Texture Measures for Terrain Classification,” IEEE Trans. Syst. Man, Cybern., Vol.SMC-6, No.4, pp. 269-285, 1976.
-  A. R. Smith, “Color Gamut Transform Pairs,” ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 12-19, 1978.
-  R. Kohavi and F. Provost, “Glossary of terms,” Journal of Machine Learning, 30, pp. 271-274, 1988.
-  C. J. Rijsbergen, “Information Retrieval,” 2nd edition, London, Butterworths, 1979.
-  Datacraft, “Sozai Jiten Image Book 1-8,” Datacraft, 2004.
-  Y. Rui and T. S. Huang, “Relevance Feedback Techniques in Image Retrieval,” in M. S. Lew (Ed.), “Principles of Visual Information Retrieval,” pp. 219-258, Springer-Verlag, London, UK, 2000.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.