Efficient Merging for Heterogeneous Domain Ontologies Based on WordNet
Hyunjang Kong, Myunggwon Hwang, and Pankoo Kim
Department of Computer Science & Engineering, Chosun University, #375 Seosuk-dong, Dong-gu, Gwangju 501-759, South Korea
As semantic web study progresses, domain ontologies built by engineers are based on writer’s academic background and research interests, preventing a uniform or standardized ontology using standard ontology building tools and ontology languages and restricting interoperability. Current ontology building tools focus on creating, editing and inferencing ontology efficiently but do not offer a way for merging heterogeneous domain ontologies. This paper presents a way for merging heterogeneous ontologies efficiently and correctly.
-  D. Calvanese, D. G. Giuseppe, and M. Lenzerini, “Ontology of Integration and Integration of Ontologies,” In Proceedings of the 2001 Description Logic Workshops (DL 2001), 2001.
-  A. Maedche, “A Machine Learning Perspective for the Semantic Web,” Semantic Web Working Symposium (SWWS) Position paper, 2001.
-  T. Berners-Lee, J. Hendler, and O. Lassila, “The Semantic Web,” Scientific Am., Vol.284, No.5, pp. 34-43, May, 2001.
-  P. Mitra, G. Wideerhold, and J. Jannink, “Semi-automatic Integration of Knowledge Sources,” In Proceedings of Fusion’99, 1999.
-  T. Milo and S. Zohar, “Using schema matching to simplify heterogeneous data translation,” In proceedings of the International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB), 1998.
-  N. F. Noy and M. A. Musen, “PROMPT:Algorithm and Tool for Automated Ontology Merging and Alignment,” In proceedings of the National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), 2000.
-  N. F. Noy and M. A. Musen, “Anchor-PROMPT:Using Non-Local Context for Semantic Matching,” In proceedings of the Workshop on Ontologies and Information Sharing at the International Joint conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), 2001.
-  V. Rijsbergen, “Information Retrieval,” London: Butterworths, 1979, Second Edition.
-  R. Agrawal and R. Srikant, “On integrating catalogs,” In Proceedings of the tenth international conference on World Wide Web, ACM Press, pp. 603-612, 2001.
-  A. Doan, P. Domingos, and A. Halevy, “Learning to match the schemans of data sources: A ultistrategy approach,” VLDB Journal, Vol.50, pp. 279-301, 2003.
-  N. Guarino and P. Giaretta, “Ontologies and Knowledge bases: towards a terminological clarification,” In N. Mars (Ed.), “Toward Very Large Knowledge Bases: Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing,” pp. 25-32, 1995.
-  X. Su, “A text categorization perspective for ontology mapping,” Technical report, Department of Computer and Information Science, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.