QoS Constrains Model: Establishing QoS Association for Ontology-Based Web Service Selection Mechanism
Laila Taher*, Rawshan Basha**, and Hazem El Khatib***
*Information Technology Department, Roads & Transport Authority, Dubai, P.O.Box 118899, United Arab Emirates
**Department of Computer Science, University of Sharjah, Sharjah, P.O.Box 27272, United Arab Emirates
***College of Information Technology, UAE University, Al Ain, P.O.Box 17555, United Arab Emirates
Quality of Service (QoS) is an important criterion for Web service selection. The work in this paper is based on QoS Information & Computation framework (QoS-IC) . QoS-IC framework supports QoS-based service selection in Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), namely Web services. In this paper, we extend the functionality of QoS-IC framework with QoS-Constraints Model. QoS-Constraints establish an association relationship between different QoS properties and are used to govern the QoS-based service selection in the underlying algorithm. We have enhanced the algorithm to accommodate QoS-Constraints and discussed an experimental evaluation based on an implementation prototype that shows how QoS-Constraints introduce efficiency to the QoS-based service selection mechanism and save valuable time for consumers.
-  L. Taher, R. Basha, and H. El Khatib, “A Framework and QoS Matchmaking Algorithm for Dynamic Web Services Selection,” Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology (IIT’05), 2005.
-  D. Box, D. Ehnebuske, G. Kakivaya, A. Layman, N. Mendelsohn, H. Nielsen, S. Thatte, and D. Winer, “Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) 1.1,” W3C Note 08, W3C, Sep., 2004.
-  E. Christensen, F. Curbera, G. Meredith, and S. Weerawarana, “Web Services Description Language (WSDL) 1.1,” W3C Note 15, W3C, Sep., 2004.
-  OASIS, “UDDI Version 3.0.1. UDDI Spec Technical Committee Specification,” Sep., 2004.
-  F. Curbera, M. Duftler et al., “Unraveling the Web Services Web: An Introduction to SOAP, WSDL, and UDDI,” J. of the IEEE Internet Computing, 6-2, pp. 86-93, 2002.
-  A. Mani and A. Nagarajan, “Understanding quality of service for Web services,” 2002.
-  Y. Liu, A. H. H. Ngu, and L. Zeng, “QoS Computation and Policing in Dynamic Web Service Selection,” Proc. of the 13th International Conference on World Wide Web (WWW), pp. 66-73, 2004.
-  D. Connolly, F. Harmelen, I. Horrocks, D. McGuinness, P. Schneider, and L. Stein, “DAML+OIL Reference Description,” 2001.
-  A. Ankolekar, M. Burstein, J. Hobbs, O. Lassila, D. Martin, D. Mc-Dermott, S. McIlraith, S. Narayanan, M. Paolucci, T. Payne, and K. Sycara, “DAML-S: Web Service Description for the Semantic Web,” Proc. of the 1st International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), pp. 348-363, 2002.
-  L. Taher, R. Basha et al., “QoS Information & Computation (QoSIC) Framework for QoS-Based Discovery of Web Services,” J. of the UPGRADE, 6-4, pp. 55-66, 2005.
-  M. Dunham, “Data Mining, Introductory and Advanced Topics,” Prentice Hall, 2003.
-  Z. Chen, C. Liang-Tien, B. Silverajan, and L. Bu-Sung, “UX – An Architecture Providing QoS-Aware and Federated Support for UDDI,” Proc. of the 2003 International Conference on Web Services (ICWS’03), pp. 171-176, 2003.
-  A. Ali, O. Rana, R. Al Ali, and D. Walker, “UDDIe: An Extended Registry for Web Services,” Proc. of the 2003 Symposium on Applications and InternetWorkshops (SAINT-w03), pp. 85-89, 2003.
-  S. Ran, “A Model for Web Services Discovery with QoS,” J. of the ACM SIGecom Exchanges, 4-1, pp. 1-10, 2003.
-  A. Keller and H. Ludwig (IBM), “The WSLA Framework: Specifying and Monitoring of Service Level Agreements for Web Services,” 2002.
-  V. Tosic, B. Pagurek, K. Patel, B. Esfandiari, and W. Ma, “Management Applications of the Web Service Offerings Language (WSOL),” Proc. of the 15th International Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAiSE’03), pp. 468-484, 2003.
-  D. Lamanna, J. Skene, andW. Emmerich, “SLAng: A language for defining Service Level Agreements,” Proc. of the 9th IEEE Workshop on Future Trends in Distributed Computing Systems – FTDCS 2003, pp. 100-106, 2003.
-  E. Maximilien and M. Singh, “A Framework and Ontology for Dynamic Web Services Selection,” J. of the IEEE Internet Computing, 8-5, pp. 84-93, 2004.
-  G. Luger and G. F. Luger, “Artificial Intelligence, Structures and Strategies for Complex Problem Solving,” Addison Wesley, 2005.
-  Apache, “juddi,” Jan., 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.