Effect of Powder Mold Release Agent on Aluminum Alloy Melt Under Gravity Casting Conditions
Kuiyuan Mu*1,, Makoto Nikawa*2, Kunio Hayakawa*3, Hidetaka Shima*4, and Minoru Yamashita*2
*1Graduate School of Engineering, Gifu University
1-1 Yanagido, Gifu-shi, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
*2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Gifu University, Gifu, Japan
*3Graduate School of Science and Technology, Shizuoka University, Shizuoka, Japan
*4MORESCO Corporation, Kobe, Japan
To explore the influence of the release agent on the fluidity of the aluminum alloy melt, continuous experiments were carried out. First, through a flat mold filling experiment, the aluminum alloy melt and temperature change of the flat mold were obtained via measurements under the condition in which the mold was coated with a powder mold release agent. Stable and minimal, the excellent thermal insulation performance of heat transfer coefficient. Then, fluidity measurement experiments and computer simulation were conducted to verify the influence of the density change of the powder mold release agent on the fluidity of the aluminum alloy melt during the casting process. It was found that this relationship was affected by the temperature difference between the mold and aluminum alloy melt. The experimental results showed that changes in the powder mold release agent density changed the distribution density of its components through the thickness of the coating, thereby affecting the fluidity and thermal insulation function.
-  A. C. Reddy and C. Rajanna, “Design of gravity die casting process parameters of Al-Si-Mg Alloys,” J. of Machining and Forming Technologies, Vol.1, No.1/2, pp. 141-165, 2009.
-  R. Ambat and E. S. Dwarakadasa, “Effect of hydrogen in aluminum and aluminum alloys: A review,” Bulletin of Materials Science, Vol.19, No.1, pp. 103-114, 1990.
-  A. K. Achamyeleh and B. A. Samuel, “Minimization of Casting Defects,” IOSR J. of Engineering, Vol.3, No.5, pp. 31-38, 2013.
-  N. Amano, R. Izawa, H. Sasaki, S. Aoyama, M. Yoshida, and Y. Okada, “Lubricant of aluminum alloy die casting,” Japan Foundry Engineering Society, Vol.87, No.11, pp. 789-796, 2015.
-  T. Fujii, N. Fuyama, A. Nitta, N. Kuriyama, and I. Tsuchitori, “The Evaluation of Lubrication Property on Powder Lubricants by the Force of Pulling out a Core Pin,” Bulletin of the Western Hiroshima Prefecture Industrial Research Institute, No.44, pp. 82-85, 2001.
-  R. Kimura, M. Yoshida, G. Sasaki, J. Pan, and H. Fukunaga, “Influence of abnormal structure on the reliability of squeeze castings,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.130-131, pp. 299-303, 2002.
-  T. Fujii, N. Fuyama, I. Tadani, and M. Fujimoto, “The Evaluation Method of Powder Lubricants,” Bulletin of the Western Hiroshima Prefecture Industrial Research Institute, Vol.42, pp. 25-28, 1999.
-  M. Sugiyama, T. Umeda, H. Takeuchi, and H. Kato, “Heat Transfer Coefficient of the Metal-Mold Interface in the Metal Mold Casting of Copper Alloys,” The J. of the Japan Foundrymen’s Society, Vol.46, No.9, pp. 820-826, 1974.
-  Y. Kameyama, H. Iimi, T. Hamada, and M. Doi, “Prediction of Powder Lubricant Adhesion to Die Casting Die Cavities and Application to Die Design,” DENSO Technical Review, Vol.11, No.2, pp. 133-139, 2006.
-  D. D. McCoy and T. J. Hanratty, “Rate of Deposition of Droplets in Annular Two-phase Flow,” Int. J. Multiphase Flow, Vol.3, pp. 319-331, 1977.
-  M. Sugiyama, T. Umeda, H. Takeuchi, and H. Kato, “Heat Transfer in Mold-Casting,” The J. of the Japan Foundrymen’s Society, Vol.47, No.3, pp. 178-183, 1975.
-  E. Niyama, “Recent Trend of Casting Design Technology,” J. of Japan Foundry Engineering Society, Vol.70, No.9, pp. 667-673, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  S. Kashiwai, J.-D. Zhu, and I. Ohnaka, “Numerical Prediction of Mold Filling and Misrun of AC4C Plate Castings,” J. of Japan Foundry Engineering Society, Vol.73, No.9, pp. 592-597, 2001.
-  K. Okubo, “Die Design for Gravity and Low Pressure Casting Parts,” The J. of the Japan Foundrymen’s Society, Vol.62, No.12, pp. 996-1001, 1991 (in Japanese).
-  F. R. Mollard, M. C. Flemings, and E. F. Niyama, “Aluminum Fluidity in Casting,” The J. of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS), pp. 34-37, 1987.
-  M. C. Flemings, S. Z. Uram, and H. F. Taylor, “Solidification of aluminum castings,” Trans. of the American Foundrymen’s Society, Vol.68, pp. 670-684, 1960.
-  S. Kitaoka, C. Fujikura, and A. Kamio, “Aluminum-Silicon alloys,” J. of Japan Institute of Light Metals, Vol.38, No.7, pp. 426-446, 1988.
-  K. Mu, M. Nikawa, and M. Yamashita, “Experimental Examination of Method for Estimating Solid Fraction at Flow Cessation from Flow Velocity of Molten Al-Si-Mg Alloy,” Proc. of the 2021 24th Int. Conf. on Mechatronics Technology, pp. 1-4, 2021.
-  K. Kubo, “Flow Solidification Simulation of Die Casting,” J. of Japan Foundry Engineering Society, Vol.78, No.12, pp. 620-628, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  A. Terayama, N. Fuyama, K. Ohishi, Y. Morishita, T. Kengai, and J. Tabata, “Estimation of thermal conductivity of powder lubricant,” Bulletin of the Western Hiroshima Prefecture Industrial Research Institute, No.58, pp. 16-19, 2015.
-  J. E. Niesse, M. C. Flemings, and H. F. Taylor, “Application of theory in the understanding of metals,” Trans. of American Foundrymen Society, Vol.67, pp. 685-697, 1959.
-  S. Kamado, M. Tsukuda, I. Tokutomi, and K. Hirose, “Effect of solidification conditions on microstructure of directionally solidified 356 aluminum alloy,” J. of Japan Institute of Light Metals, Vol.37, No.4, pp. 261-267, 1987.
-  M. C. Flemings, “Solidification processing,” Metal Mater. Trans. B, Vol.5, pp. 2121-2134, 1974.
-  H. Nomura, Y. Maeda, E. Kato, A. Yamazaki, and Y. Mori, “Early Cooling Characteristics of Die Casting Melt in Shot Sleeve,” Proc. of Modeling of Casting and Solidification Processes IV 1999, pp. 177-184, 1999.
-  K. Sakamoto, M. Tashiro, and S. Aoyama, “Effects of powder lubrication on ADC 12 alloy squeeze casting,” The J. of the Japan Foundrymen’s Society, Vol.66, No.12, pp. 898-903, 1994.
-  N. Nishi, “Characteristics of Fluid Flow for Thin Wall Aluminum Alloy Die Castings,” The J. of the Japan Foundrymen’s Society, Vol.67, No.12, pp. 918-923, 1995.
-  M. C. Flemings, E. Niiyama and H. F. Taylor, “Fluidity of aluminum alloys,” AFS Trans., Vol.69, pp. 625-635, 1961.
-  T. Fujii, N. Fuyama, N. Kuriyama, and I. Tsuchitori, “The Evaluation of Powder Lubricants with the Extrusion Force for Aluminum Die Castings,” Bulletin of the Western Hiroshima Prefecture Industrial Research Institute, Vol.43, pp. 35-38, 2000.
-  M. Nikawa, Y. Iba, and M. Yamashita, “Solid Fraction Examination at Flow Cessation and Flow Cessation Mechanism of Al-Si-Mg Alloy,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.14, No.5, pp. 835-842, 2020.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.