Exploring the Impact of IoT and Green Advertising on Consumer Behavior
Jui-Che Tu*, Cheng-Hsueh Yang*, and Yu-Yin Chen**,
*Graduate School of Design, National Yunlin University of Science and Technology
123 University Road, Section 3, Douliou, Yunlin 64002, Taiwan
**Department of Mass Communication, Tamkang University, New Taipei, Taiwan
Over time, consumer awareness of environmental protection has grown. From big data in the Internet of things (IoT), green advertisement has indeed made a significant impact on consumers’ awareness of environmental protection. Therefore, this research studied the impact of the IoT and green advertisements on consumers’ behavior. An investigation was conducted based on focus group interviews, and the assumption was tested using statistical methods. The research results were as follows: 1) advertisement has a significant impact on consumer behavior; 2) consumers are willing to purchase advertised products that convey positive messages, regardless of their age, educational level, or average income level; 3) consumers with higher education levels have better environmental concepts; and 4) green advertisement has a significant impact on consumers’ environmental concepts and behaviors. In summary, the study found that green advertisement can improve consumers’ awareness of environmental protection and that consumers’ behavior can effectively influence the implementation of environmental protection.
-  I. Ghazali, S. H. A. Rashid, S. Z. M. Dawal, H. Aoyama, A. E. Tontowi, and R. A. R. Ghazilla, “Green Product Preferences with Respect to Cultural Influences: Empirical Study in Indonesia,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.6, pp. 842-852, 2018.
-  W. Abrahamse, L. Steg, C. Vlek, and T. Rothengatter, “A Review of Intervention Studies Aimed at Household Energy Conservation,” J. of Environmental Psychology, Vol.25, Issue 3, pp. 273-291, 2005.
-  G. E. Belch and M. A. Belch, “Advertising and Promotion: An Integrated Marketing Communications Perspective,” 11th Edition, McGraw-Hill Education, 2018.
-  H.-S. Chen, C.-Y. Chen, H.-K. Chen, and T. Hsieh, “A Study of Relationships Among Green Consumption Attitude, Perceived Risk, Perceived Value Toward Hydrogen-Electric Motorcycle Purchase Intention,” AASRI Procedia, Vol.2, pp. 163-168, 2012.
-  M. L. Yang and M. L. Lee, “Purchase Intention of Green Product and its Antecedents – An Example of Multifunction Office Machine,” The 4th Management Innovation and Marketing Project Seminar, 2012.
-  S. Wiesner, E. Marilungo, and K.-D. Thoben, “Cyber-Physical Product-Service Systems – Challenges for Requirements Engineering,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 17-28, 2017.
-  I. G. Smith (Ed.), “The Internet of Things 2012: New Horizons,” Halifax, 2012.
-  E. Fleisch, “What Is the Internet of Things?: An Economic Perspective,” Auto-ID Labs White Paper WP-BIZAPP-053, 2010.
-  J.-C. Tu, Y.-Y. Chen, and S.-C. Chen, “The Study of Consumer Green Education via the Internet of Things with Green Marketing,” Eurasia J. of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, Vol.13, No.9, pp. 6133-6145, 2017.
-  F.-M. Belz and K. Peattie, “Sustainability Marketing: A Global Perspective,” 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2012.
-  L. Carlson, S. J. Grove, and N. Kangun, “A Content Analysis of Environmental Advertising Claims: A Matrix Method Approach,” J. of Advertising, Vol.22, No.3, pp. 27-39, 1993.
-  Z. Boz, V. Korhonen, and C. K. Sand, “Consumer Considerations for the Implementation of Sustainable Packaging: A Review,” Sustainability, Vol.12, No.6, 2192, 2020.
-  S. V. Jin, E. Ryu, and A. Muqaddam, “I Trust What She’s #Endorsing on Instagram: Moderating Effects of Parasocial Interaction and Social Presence in Fashion Influencer Marketing,” J. of Fashion Marketing and Management, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 665-681, 2021.
-  J. P. Peter and J. C. Olson, “Consumer Behavior and Marketing Strategy,” Richard D. Irwin, Inc., 1993.
-  S. Lakshmi, “Consumer Buying Behavior Towards Online Shopping,” Int. J. of Research – GRANTHAALAYAH, Vol.4, No.8(SE), pp. 60-65, 2016.
-  S. Dibb, L. Simkin, W. M. Pride, and O. C. Ferrell, “Marketing: Concepts and Strategies,” 4th European Edition, Houghton Mifflin, 2003.
-  R. Visser and S. Dlamini, “Green Purchasing Behaviour Towards Compostable Coffee Pods,” Sustainability, Vol.13, No.12, 6558, 2021.
-  W. Wei, C. Gu, and C. Yang, “Examining the Influence of Moral Norms on Dockless Shared Bicycle Users’ Parking Behavior – An Exploratory Study Based on the Theory of Planned Behavior,” Systems, Vol.10, No.1, 11, 2022.
-  S. H.-W. Chuah, D. El-Manstrly, M.-L. Tseng, and T. Ramayah, “Sustaining Customer Engagement Behavior Through Corporate Social Responsibility: The Roles of Environmental Concern and Green Trust,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.262, 121348, 2020.
-  E. Iyer and B. Banerjee, “Anatomy of Green Advertising,” Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 494-501, 1992.
-  M. Larijani and K. Yeshodhara, “An Empirical Study of Environmental Attitude Among Higher Primary School Teachers of India and Iran,” J. of Human Ecology, Vol.24, Issue 3, pp. 195-200, 2008.
-  K. Masui, “Current Status of Environmentally Conscious Design Among Japanese Manufacturers,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.1 pp. 19-25, 2009.
-  V. Papanek, “Design for the Real World: Human Ecology and Social Change,” Pantheon Books, 1972.
-  L. van Liedekerke and W. Dubbink, “Twenty Years of European Business Ethics – Past Developments and Future Concerns,” J. of Business Ethics, Vol.82, Issue 2, pp. 273-280, 2008.
-  T.-F. Kao and Y.-Z. Du, “A Study on the Influence of Green Advertising Design and Environmental Emotion on Advertising Effect,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.242, 118294, 2020.
-  Coca-Cola Thailand, “‘Coke’ Second Bin Second Life,” 2019. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7mSlDGqjM&t=0s [Accessed November 15, 2021]
-  Coca-Cola Middle East, “Remove Labels This Ramadan,” 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84OT0NLlqfM&t=0s [Accessed November 15, 2021]
-  D. W. Stewart and P. N. Shamdasani, “Focus Groups: Theory and Practice,” SAGE Publications, Inc., 1990.
-  J. L. Zaichkowsky, “Measuring the Involvement Construct,” J. of Consumer Research, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 341-352, 1985.
-  S. H. Schwartz, “Universals in the Content and Structure of Values: Theoretical Advances and Empirical Tests in 20 Countries,” Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.25, pp. 1-65, 1992.
-  M. R. Solomon, “Consumer Behavior: Buying, Having, and Being,” 3rd Edition, Prentice Hall, 1995.
-  L. G. Schiffman and L. L. Kanuk, “Consumer Behavior,” 7th Edition, Prentice Hall, 2000.
-  L. G. Schiffman, H. Hansen, and L. L. Kanuk, “Consumer Behaviour: A European Outlook,” Prentice Hall, 2007.
-  T. Y. Pang, J. D. P. Restrepo, C.-T. Cheng, A. Yasin, H. Lim, and M. Miletic, “Developing a Digital Twin and Digital Thread Framework for an ‘Industry 4.0’ Shipyard,” Applied Sciences, Vol.11, No.3, 1097, 2021.
-  M. Singh, E. Fuenmayor, E. P. Hinchy, Y. Qiao, N. Murray, and D. Devine, “Digital Twin: Origin to Future,” Applied System Innovation, Vol.4, No.2, 36, 2021.
-  K. Halada, “Activities of Circular Economy in Japan – Towards Global Multi-Value Circulation,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.14, No.6, pp. 867-872, 2020.
-  F. Ciampi, S. Demi, A. Magrini, G. Marzi, and A. Papa, “Exploring the Impact of Big Data Analytics Capabilities on Business Model Innovation: The Mediating Role of Entrepreneurial Orientation,” J. of Business Research, Vol.123, pp. 1-13, 2021.
-  M. K. Saraji, D. Streimikiene, and G. L. Kyriakopoulos, “Fermatean Fuzzy CRITIC-COPRAS Method for Evaluating the Challenges to Industry 4.0 Adoption for a Sustainable Digital Transformation,” Sustainability, Vol.13, No.17, 9577, 2021.
-  N. Fukawa, Y. Zhang, and S. Erevelles, “Dynamic Capability and Open-Source Strategy in the Age of Digital Transformation,” J. of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity, Vol.7, No.3, 175, 2021.
-  S. Fareri, G. Fantoni, F. Chiarello, E. Coli, and A. Binda, “Estimating Industry 4.0 Impact on Job Profiles and Skills Using Text Mining,” Computers in Industry, Vol.118, 103222, 2020.
-  M. Kojima, “The Impact of Recyclable Waste Trade Restrictions on Producer Recycling Activities,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.14, No.6, pp. 873-881, 2020.
-  W.-H. Chung and P.-C. Wu, “Packaging Evaluation of Consumer Electronics Products from Economic, Logistical, and Environmental Perspectives,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.14, No.6, pp. 909-918, 2020.
-  K. Fujimoto, S. Fukushige, and H. Kobayashi, “Data Assimilation Mechanism for Lifecycle Simulation Focusing on Process Behaviors,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.14, No.6, pp. 882-889, 2020.
-  J. A. Ottman, “Green Marketing: Challenges and Opportunities for the New Marketing Age,” NTC Publishing Group, 1993.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.