Elucidation of Drilling Behavior on Workpiece Superimposed with Ultrasonic Vibration
Naofumi Tsuji*,**,, Kota Takashima*, Akira Sakurada**, Kazuto Miyawaki**, and Hiromi Isobe*
*Nagaoka University of Technology
1603-1 Kamitomioka, Nagaoka, Niigata 940-2188, Japan
**National Institute of Technology, Akita College, Akita, Japan
This study quantitatively and theoretically clarifies the machining characteristics of the chisel engagement and the cutting-edge wear behavior in drilling in a workpiece superimposed with ultrasonic vibration. The machining phenomenon of drilling by this method considers being the same as drilling by ultrasonic vibration spindle from the viewpoint of the relative motion of the cutting edge and workpiece. However, the details have not been clarified yet. The chisel engagement behavior experiment at the initial stage of the drilling and cutting-edge wear experiment were carried out in this study. The chisel engagement behavior experiment revealed lower axial relative velocity results in a minor effect. In the cutting-edge life experiment, when the cutting fluid and the supply method were changed, the minimal oil with mist supply showed the same result as water-soluble with jet supply without breaking the drill. However, considerable wear was generated at the cutting edge in the initial drilling stage. When suitable ultrasonic vibration-assisted drilling was applied, initial wear decreased by 40% but could not be suppressed entirely. As a result of theoretical elucidation on this initial wear, it was proven that the flank face of the cutting edge contacted the workpiece when critical amplitude was exceeded. In the experiment to prove the validity of this theory, the initial wear occurred when the critical amplitude was exceeded. The cutting-edge wears increased in proportion to the working relief angle.
-  K. Okamura and H. Sasahara, “Prediction of drilling temperature during low-frequency vibration drilling of titanium alloy,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.11, Issue 3, JAMDSM0036, 2017.
-  O. Pecat and E. Brinksmeier, “Tool Wear Analyses in Low Frequency Vibration Assisted Drilling of CFRP/Ti6Al4V Stack Material,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.14, pp. 142-147, 2014.
-  S. Tamura and T. Matsumura, “Cutting Force Prediction in Drilling of Unidirectional Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.1, pp. 59-66, 2015.
-  A. Mizobuchi and H. Ogawa, “Study on Applying Cavitation in Micro Drilling of Austenite Stainless Steel – Control of Burr in Through Hole Drilling –,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.1, pp. 15-20, 2010.
-  M. Uchiyama and N. Sakata, “Cutting Capability of Microdrills in Nonstep Drilling,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.13, No.1, pp. 74-79, 2019.
-  T. Ueda, R. Nozaki, and A. Hosokawa, “Temperature Measurement of Cutting Edge in Drilling – Effect of Oil Mist –,” CIRP Ann., Vol.56, Issue 1, pp. 93-96, 2007.
-  H. Onikura and O. Ohnishi, “Drilling Mechanisms in Ultrasonic-Vibration Assisted Microdrilling,” J. of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.64, No.11, pp. 1633-1637, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  B. Vakili Azghandi and M. R. Razfar, “An experimental study on the effects of ultrasonic assisted drilling on chip characteristics and tool life,” Advanced Materials Research, Vol.325, pp. 351-356, 2011.
-  B. Azarhoushang and J. Akbari, “Ultrasonic-assisted drilling of Inconel 738-LC,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.47, Issue 7, pp. 1027-1033, 2007.
-  V. Baghlani, P. Mehbudi, J. Akbari, and M. Sohrabi, “Ultrasonic Assisted Deep Drilling of Inconel 738LC Superalloy,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.6, pp. 571-576, 2013.
-  G. Gao, Z. Yuan, Z. Xia, Z. Fu, D. Xiang, and B. Zhao, “Study on thrust force of ultrasonic-assisted vibration micro-hole drilling of titanium alloy,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.112, Issue 11, pp. 3399-3413, 2021.
-  J. Pujana, A. Rivero, A. Celaya, and L. N. López de Lacalle, “Analysis of ultrasonic-assisted drilling of Ti6Al4V,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.49, Issue 6, pp. 500-508, 2009.
-  P. Wang and D. Wang, “Study on ultrasonic-assisted drilling of Ti6Al4V using 3-flute drill in the finite element simulation,” Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: J. of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol.234, Issue 7, pp. 1298-1310, 2020.
-  D. Zhang, X. Feng, L. Wang, and D. Chen, “Study on the drill skidding motion in ultrasonic vibration microdrilling,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.34, Issue 6, pp. 847-857, 1994.
-  K. Taguchi, N. Yoshihara, K. Hara, and M. Mizuno, “Burr suppression effect in ultrasonic vibration-assisted drilling of SUS316,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.63, Issue 12, pp. 624-629, 2019 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Wang, H. Gong, F. Z. Fang, and H. Ni, “Kinematic view of the cutting mechanism of rotary ultrasonic machining by using spiral cutting tools,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.83, Issue 1, pp. 461-474, 2016.
-  H. Isobe, Y. Uehara, M. Okada, T. Horiuchi, and K. Hara, “Visualization of Stress Distribution on Ultrasonic Vibration Aided Drilling Process,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.6, Issue 6, pp. 771-780, 2012.
-  K. Egashira, R. Kumagai, R. Okina, K. Yamaguchi, and M. Ota, “Drilling of microholes down to 10 μm in diameter using ultrasonic grinding,” Precision Engineering, Vol.38, Issue 3, pp. 605-610, 2014.
-  D. Zhang, H. Wang, A. R. Burks, and W. Cong, “Delamination in rotary ultrasonic machining of CFRP composites: finite element analysis and experimental implementation,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.107, Issue 9, pp. 3847-3858, 2020.
-  H. Isobe, K. Yamada, and K. Hara, “Improvement of cutting performance by ultrasonic vibration drilling,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.59, Issue 6, pp. 328-333, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  M. A. Moghaddas, A. Y. Yi, and K. F. Graff, “Temperature measurement in the ultrasonic-assisted drilling process,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.103, Issue 1, pp. 187-199, 2019.
-  H. Sasahara and K. Harada, “Cutting Mechanism on Ultrasonic Vibration Cutting,” J. of Japanese Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.70, No.4, pp. 578-582, 2004 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.