Feasibility Study of EDM-Assisted Combined Turning for Unidirectional CFRP
Hidetake Tanaka*,, Yuta Fukada**, and Ryuta Kuboshima*
*Precision Engineering Research Group, Sophia University
7-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8554, Japan
**Graduate School of Science and Technology, Sophia University, Tokyo, Japan
Carbon fiber-reinforced plastics (CFRP), which are classified as functional resins, are rapidly replacing conventional materials because of their excellent properties. Typically, they have been used to fabricate components of airplanes or cars. In the field of medicine, the demand for micro-machined products manufactured with lathes is also increasing. However, owing to the significant tool wear caused by the carbon fiber, CFRP machining can result in burrs and inaccuracies in the finished product. The tool wear caused by carbon fiber must be reduced to ensure high dimensional accuracy. In this study, the possibility of combining conventional turning with electric current or electrical discharge machining was explored.
-  A. Kitano, “Characteristics of Carbon-Fiber-Reinforced Plastics (CFRP) and Associated Challenges – Focusing on Carbon-Fiber-Reinforced Thermosetting Resins (CFRTS) for Aircraft,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 300-309, 2016.
-  Y. Kondo and S. Sakamoto, “A Damage-Free Machining Method for CFRP Without Feedback Control Systems,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 318-323, 2016.
-  Y. Kojima, R. Tanaka, Y. Yamane, K. Sekiya, and K. Yamada, “Drilling of CFRP with an Electrodeposited Diamond Core Drill – Effects of Air Assistance and Tool Shape –,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 310-317, 2016.
-  T. Ishida, R. Koike, T. Aoyama, and Y. Kakinuma, “Estimation of Cutting Temperature in High-Feed-Speed Machining of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Thermoplastics,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 341-347, 2016.
-  S. Sakamoto, “Precision Drilling of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics with Ball Nose End Mills,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 334-340, 2016.
-  M. Hagino, T. Inoue, K. Tokuno, T. Nishiwaki, and J. Miyamoto, “Control of Fine Cutting Chips to Improve the Processing Environment in CFRP Drilling,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.15, No.4, pp. 466-474, 2021.
-  M. Henerichs, R. Voss, H. Tanaka, F. Kuster, and K. Wegener, “Analysis of Material Weakening in CFRP after a Drilling Operation,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.24, pp. 44-48, 2014.
-  T. Inoue and M. Hagino, “Cutting Characteristics of CFRP Materials with Carbon Fiber Distribution,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.3, pp. 285-291, 2013.
-  A. Hosokawa, N. Hirose, T. Ueda, T. Koyano, and T. Furumoto, “High-Quality End Milling of CFRP – Inclination Milling with High-Helix End Mill –,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 372-380, 2016.
-  S. Maegawa, S. Hayakawa, F. Itoigawa, and T. Nakamura, “Two-Layer Tool with Hardness Distribution Around Tool Edge for Reducing Cutting Forces in CFRP Machining,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 364-371, 2016.
-  T. Tashiro, J. Fujiwara, and N. Asahi, “Cutting Characteristics in End-Milling of CFRP with Diamond-Coated Herringbone Tool,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 356-363, 2016.
-  F. Muto, T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, T. Furuki, K. Inaba, and K. Fujiwara, “Development of a Forward-Reverse Rotating cBN Electroplated End Mill Type Tool for Cutting and Grinding CFRP,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.15, No.1, pp. 41-48, 2021.
-  H. Sasai and H. Tanaka, “Improvement of boring quality of CFRP and evaluation of tool wear by inclined planetary milling,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.77, pp. 311-314, 2018.
-  K. Fukushima and H. Tanaka, “Development of inclined planetary milling machine with automatic tool axis inclination instrument,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.77, pp. 50-53, 2018.
-  H. Tanaka and M. Kitamura, “Machinability of Thermo-Plastic Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic by Inclined Planetary Motion Milling,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.5, pp. 750-759, 2018.
-  H. Tanaka, M. Kitamura, and T. Sai, “An Evaluation of Cutting Edge and Machinability of Inclined Planetary Motion Milling for Difficult-to-cut Materials,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.35, pp. 96-100, 2015.
-  H. Tanaka and T. Yoshita, “Machinability Evaluation of Inclined Planetary Motion Milling System for Difficult-to-cut Materials,” Key Engineering Marerials, Vols.656-657, pp. 320-327, 2015.
-  M. Henerichs, C. Dold, R. Voß, and K. Wegener, “Performance of Lasered PCD- and CVD-Diamond Cutting Inserts for Machining Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics (CFRP),” Proc. of the ASME 2013 Int. Mechanical Engineering Cong. and Exposition, Vol.2B: Advanced Manufacturing, pp. 15-21, 2013.
-  M. Henerichs, R. Voß, F. Kuster, and K. Wegener, “Machining of carbon fiber reinforced plastics: Influence of tool geometry and fiber orientation on the machining forces,” CIRP J. of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol.9, pp. 136-145, 2015.
-  K. Abhishek, S. Datta, S. Chatterjee, and S. S. Mahapatra, “Parametric Optimization in Turning of CFRP (Epoxy) Composites: A Case Experimental Research with Exploration of HS Algorithm,” AMM, Vol.619, pp. 54-57, 2014.
-  A. Ito, S. Hayakawa, F. Itoigawa, and T. Nakamura, “Effect of Short-Circuiting in Electrical Discharge Machining of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.6, Issue 6, pp. 808-814, 2012.
-  A. Ito, S. Hayakawa, F. Itoigawa, and T. Nakamura, “3284 Effect of Short-Circuiting in Electrical Discharge Machining of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Leading Edge Manufacturing in 21st century: LEM21, Vol.6, 2011.
-  R. Kumar, A. Kumar, and I. Singh, “Electric discharge drilling of micro holes in CFRP laminates,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.259, pp. 150-158, 2018.
-  C. Wu, S. Cao, Y. J. Zhao, H. Qi, X. Liu, G. Liu, J. Guo, and H. N. Li, “Preheating assisted wire EDM of semi-conductive CFRPs: Principle and anisotropy,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.288, 116915, 2021.
-  M. Kunieda, B. Lauwers, K. P. Rajurkar, and B. M. Schumacher, “Advancing EDM through Fundamental Insight into the Process,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.54, Issue 2, pp. 64-87, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.