Pneumatically-Controlled Linear Actuator Using Pressure-Resistant, Thin-Walled Metal Bellows and its Application
Yasukazu Sato and Takeyoshi Shimbori
Yokohama National University
79-5 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 240-8501, Japan
The use of pneumatics has led to the development of a linear actuator that incorporates pressure-resistant metal bellows. This pressure-resistant bellows device is airtight and capable of considerable expansion. Conventional bellows devices are susceptible to bending stresses at the folds because high air pressure tends to crush the curvature of the bellows there. Therefore, their application only uses a 0.1 MPa difference in inner/outer pressure. The pressure-resistance of the bellows device is improved by the installation of viscoelastic rings in its folds, rings which reduce the bending stress caused by the high air pressure at the thin-walled inner folds. As a result, the pressure resistance is increased by 0.7 MPa. This paper uses a theoretical formulation and a finite element analysis approach in reporting the improvement in pressure resistance made by the installation of the viscoelastic rings. Furthermore, the actuator with pressure-resistant, thin-walled metal bellows is used to control the posture and damping force of a vehicle’s active suspension.
-  C. Ferraresi, W. Franco, and A. M. Bertetto, “Flexible Pneumatic Actuators: A Comparison between the McKibben and the Straight Fibres Muscles,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.13, No.1, pp. 56-63, 2001.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Matsushita, Y. Ishida, and K. Kikuchi, “New Robot Technology Concept Applicable to Human Physical Support – The Concept and Possibility of the Muscle Suit (Wearable Muscular Support Apparatus) –,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.14, No.1, pp. 46-53, 2002.
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of Active Support Splint Driven by Pneumatic Soft Actuator (ASSIST),” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.16, No.5, pp. 497-503, 2004.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Shiiba, and Y. Ishida, “Realization of All 7 Motions for the Upper Limb by a Muscle Suit,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.16, No.5, pp. 504-512, 2004.
-  T. Noritsugu, D. Sasaki, M. Kameda, A. Fukunaga, and M. Takaiwa, “Wearable Power Assist Device for Standing Up Motion Using Pneumatic Rubber Artificial Muscles,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.19, No.6, pp. 619-628, 2007.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Aida, and T. Hashimoto, “Muscle Suit Development and Factory Application,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.6, pp. 709-715, 2009.
-  S. Kuriyama, M. Ding, Y. Kurita, J. Ueda, and T. Ogasawara, “Flexible Sensor for McKibben Pneumatic Artificial Muscle Actuator,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.6, pp. 731-740, 2009.
-  K. Iwata, K. Suzumori, and S. Wakimoto, “Development of Contraction and Extension Artificial Muscles with Different Braid Angles and Their Application to Stiffness Changeable Bending Rubber Mechanismby Their Combination,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.4, pp. 582-588, 2011.
-  H. Tomori and T. Nakamura, “Theoretical Comparison of McKibben-Type Artificial Muscle and Novel Straight-Fiber-Type Artificial Muscle,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.4, pp. 544-550, 2011.
-  Y. Muramatsu, H. Kobayashi, Y. Sato, H. Jiaou, T. Hashimoto, and H. Kobayashi, “Quantitative Performance Analysis of Exoskeleton Augmenting Devices – Muscle Suit – for Manual Worker,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.4, pp. 559-567, 2011.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Hashimoto, S. Nakayama, and K. Irie, “Development of an Active Walker and its Effect,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.24, No.2, pp. 275-283, 2012.
-  K. Iwata, K. Suzumori, and S. Wakimoto, “A Method of Designing and Fabricating Mckibben Muscles Driven by 7 MPa Hydraulics,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.4, pp. 482-487, 2012.
-  X. Li, T. Noritsugu, M. Takaiwa, and D. Sasaki, “Design of Wearable Power Assist Wear for Low Back Support Using Pneumatic Actuators,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.2, pp. 228-236, 2013.
-  T. Nozaki and T. Noritsugu, “Motion Analysis of McKibben Type Pneumatic Rubber Artificial Muscle with Finite Element Method,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.2, pp. 147-158, 2014.
-  D. Nakanishi, Y. Sugimoto, H. Honda, and K. Osuka, “Measurement Experiments and Analysis for Modeling of McKibben Pneumatic Actuator,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.28, No.6, pp. 830-836, 2016.
-  A. A. M. Faudzi, N. H. I. M. Lazim, and K. Suzumori, “Modeling and Force Control of Thin Soft McKibben Actuator,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.4, pp. 487-493, 2016.
-  N. Saito and T. Satoh, “Posture Control Considering Joint Stiffness of a Robotic Arm Driven by Rubberless Artificial Muscle,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.4, pp. 503-510, 2016.
-  G. Belforte, T. Raparelli, and S. A. Sirolli, “A Novel Geometric Formula for Predicting Contractile Force in McKibben Pneumatic Muscles,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.3, pp. 368-377, 2017.
-  N. Endo, Y. Kizaki, and N. Kamamichi, “Flexible Pneumatic Bending Actuator for a Robotic Tongue,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.32, No.5, pp. 894-902, 2020.
-  H. Taniguchi, N. Takemoto, R. Yakami, S. Wakimoto, T. Oshikawa, K. Morinaga, and T. Kanda, “Realistic and Highly Functional Pediatric Externally Powered Prosthetic Hand Using Pneumatic Soft Actuators,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.32, No.5, pp. 1034-1043, 2020.
-  P. Yuan, G. Kawano, and H. Tsukagoshi, “Design and Modeling of Soft Pneumatic Helical Actuator with High Contraction Ratio,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.32, No.5, pp. 1061-1070, 2020.
-  T. Goto, Y. Sugimoto, D. Nakanishi, K. Naniwa, and K. Osuka, “Analysis of Autonomous Coordination Between Actuators in the Antagonist Musculoskeletal Model,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.33, No.2, pp. 410-420, 2021.
-  Y. Hayakawa and S. Kawamura, “Pneumatic Bellows Actuator with Force Sensing Ability and Its Application to a Pneumatic Robot,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.7, No.6, pp. 474-482, 1995.
-  M. Ono, M. Otsuki, and S. Kato, “A Study of an In-Pipe Microrobot Having Bulging Friction Brakes,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.17, No.3, pp. 255-261, 2005.
-  T. Fujita, K. Sakai, Y. Takagi, K. Kawashima, and T. Kagawa, “Ultra Precise Positioning of a Stage Driven by Pneumatic Bellows,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.4, pp. 508-515, 2011.
-  T. Yanagida, K. Adachi, and T. Nakamura, “Development of Bellows-Type Artificial Rubber Muscle and Application to Peristaltic Crawling Endoscopic Robot,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.4, pp. 748-754, 2013.
-  S. Wakimoto and H. Kametani, “Characteristics of a Pneumatic Bellows Actuator for Colonoscopy,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.4, pp. 479-486, 2016.
-  K. Nishikawa, K. Hirata, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of Pneumatically Driven Hand Capable of Grasping Flexible Objects,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.32, No.5, pp. 923-930, 2020.
-  Y. Sato and Y. Matsushita, “Motion Control of Electromagnetic Reciprocating Actuator for Metal Bellows Pump,” Proc. 6th JFPS Int. Symp. Fluid Power, No.6, pp. 63-68, 2005.
-  Y. Sato, J. Miyazawa, T. Hirayama, and T. Shimbori, “Pressure Resistance Improvement of Metal Bellows for Pneumatic Actuators,” Proc. of the 9th JFPS Int. Symp. on Fluid Power Matsue 2014, pp. 284-289, 2014.
-  Japan Industrial Standard, “Construction of pressure vessel – General principles –,” Japanese Standard Association, pp. 263-266, 2017.
-  T. Park and S. Kim, “A Study on the Performance of Air Suspension for Different Kinds of Rubber and Cord Materials Used in Rubber Tube,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0003, 2006.
-  W. Fongue, “Air Spring Air Damper: Modelling and Dynamic Performance in Case of Small Excitations,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars – Mech. Syst., Vol.6, No.2, pp. 1196-1208, 2013.
-  A. P. Sharma, K. N. Gopi, and S. Sudarsanam, “Design and Development of Front Air Suspension for Front Engine Bus with Floor at Entry Plus One Step,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1934, 2012.
-  T. Noritsugu, K. Samsak, and H. Takatori, “Development of Energy Saving Type Pneumatic Active Suspension,” Trans. of JSME Series C, Vol.66, pp. 2583-2588, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Sato and T. Shimbori, “Active Air-spring System with Pressure-resistant Metal Bellows for Posture Control of a Formula Car,” Proc. of the 12th Int. Conf. on Fluid Control, Measurements, and Visualization (FLUCOME 2013), 7, 2013.
-  D. Mccloy and H. Martin, “Control of Fluid Power: Analysis and design (2nd edition),” Ellis Horwood Limited, pp. 101-103, 1980.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.