On-Machine Estimation of Workholding State for Thin-Walled Parts
Jingkai Zeng, Koji Teramoto, and Hiroki Matsumoto
Division of Engineering, Muroran Institute of Technology
27-1 Mizumoto, Muroran, Hokkaido 050-8585, Japan
The objective of this research is to investigate an on-machine estimation method to achieve efficient and fast estimation of the fixturing force and workpiece deformation. The estimation enables us to visualize workholding states and improves machining accuracies of thin-walled parts. In this research, a systematic estimation method of workholding states which combines fixturing simulation and locally measured strain is proposed and evaluated. The proposed on-machine estimation method is evaluated in different workholding conditions (clamping sequences and fixturing forces). Estimated fixturing force and workpiece deformation for a clamped thin-walled workpiece were compared to the results from the engineering experiments. From the comparison, it becomes clear that the proposed method has the feasibility to detect improper workholding states such as insufficient fixturing force or excessive deformation.
-  J. Fleischer, B. Denkena, B. Winfough, and M. Mori, “Workpiece and Tool Handling in Metal Cutting Machines,” CIRP Annals, Vol.55, No.2, pp. 817-839, 2006.
-  T. Aoyama and Y. Kakinuma, “Development of Fixture Devices for Thin and Compliant Workpieces,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.54, No.1, pp. 325-328, 2005.
-  H.-C. Möhring and P. Wiederkehr, “Intelligent Fixtures for High Performance Machining,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.46, pp. 383-390, 2016.
-  H. Wang, Y. (K.) Rong, H. Li, and P. Shaun, “Computer aided fixture design: Recent research and trends,” Computer-Aided Design, Vol.42, pp. 1085-1094, 2010.
-  W. Chai et al., “Deformable Sheet Metal Fixturing: Principles, Algorithms, and Simulations,” J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.118, pp. 318-324, 1996.
-  T. Huang, X.-M. Zhang, and H. Ding, “Tool Orientation Optimization for Reduction of Vibration and Deformation in Ball-end Milling of Thin-walled Impeller Blades,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.58, pp. 210-215, 2017.
-  J. K. Rai and P. Xirouchakis, “Finite Element Method Based Machining Simulation Environment for Analyzing Part Errors Induced during Milling of Thin-Walled Components,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.48, No.6, pp. 629-643, 2008.
-  J. D. Lee and L. S. Haynes, “Finite Element Analysis of Flexible Fixturing System,” J. of Engineering for Industry, Vol.109, pp. 395-406, 1987.
-  J. Wang, S. Ibaraki, A. Matsubara, K. Shida, and T. Yamada, “FEM-Based Simulation for Workpiece Deformation in Thin-Wall Milling,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.2, pp. 122-128, 2015.
-  K. Teramoto, “On-Machine Estimation of Workpiece Deformation for Thin-Structured Parts Machining,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.6, pp. 978-983, 2017.
-  S. P. Siebenaler and S. N. Melkote, “Prediction of workpiece deformation in a fixture system using the finite element method,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.46, No.1, pp. 51-58, 2006.
-  A. Raghu and S. N. Melkote, “Analysis of the effects of fixture clamping sequence on part location errors,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.44, No.4, pp. 373-382, 2004.
-  L. S. Xie and C. Hsieh, “Clamping and welding sequence optimisation for minimising cycle time and assembly deformation,” Int. J. of Materials and Product Technology, Vol.17, No.5/6, pp. 389-399, 2002.
-  C. Cogun, “The Importance of the Application Sequence of Clamping Forces on Workpiece Accuracy,” J. of Engineering for Industry, Vol.114, No.4, pp. 539-543, 1992.
-  O. Gonzalo, J. M. Seara et al., “A method to minimize the workpiece deformation using a concept of intelligent fixture,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.48, pp. 209-218, 2017.
-  Y. Wang, J. Xie, Z. Wang, and N. Gindy, “A parametric FEA system for fixturing of thin-walled cylindrical components,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.205, No.1-3, pp. 338-346, 2008.
-  S. Ratchev, K. Phuah, and S. Liu, “FEA-based methodology for the prediction of part-fixture behaviour and its applications,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.191, No.1-3, pp. 260-264, 2007.
-  Z. Cai et al., “Systematic Solving of Machining Deformation and Process Optimization for Complex Thin-walled Parts,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.56, pp. 167-172, 2016.
-  G. Ge, Z. Du, X. Feng, and J. Yang, “An integrated error compensation method based on on-machine measurement for thin web parts machining,” Precis. Eng., Vol.63, pp. 206-213, 2020.
-  W. Konno and K. Teramoto, “On-machine Estimation of Thin-structured Parts Deformation,” Proc. of 14th Int. Conf. on Mechatronics Technology (ICMT2010), CD-ROM A27, 2010.
-  H. Obara et al., “A Method to Machine Three-Dimensional Thin Parts,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.69, No.3, pp. 375-379, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  K. Teramoto, S. Kutomi, J. Zeng, and D. Wu, “Experimental investigation on uncertainties of workholding process in end-milling,” Proc. of the 2018 Int. Symp. on Flexible Automation (ISFA2018), S046, 2018.
-  K. L. Johnson, “Contact Mechanics,” Cambridge University Press, 1987.
-  S. Satyanarayana and S. N. Melkote, “Finite element modeling of fixture-workpiece contacts: single contact modeling and experimental verification,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.44, No.9, pp. 903-913, 2004.
-  D. Cheng, “Handbook of mechanical design,” Chemical Industry Press, 2016.
-  American Society for Metal, “ASM Handbook Vol.18, Friction, lubrication, and wear technology,” ASM Int., 2017.
-  F. P. Bowden and D. Tabor, “The Friction and Lubrication of Solids,” Oxford University Press, 2001.
-  R. G. Budynas and J. K. Nisbett, “Shigley’s Mechanical Engineering Design,” McGraw-Hill Science Engineering, 2014.
-  A. Nishino and K. Fujii, “Calibration of a Torque Measuring Device Using an Electromagnetic Force Torque Standard Machine,” Measurement, Vol.147, 106821, 2019.
-  K. Sundararaman, K. Padmanaban, and M. Sabareeswaran, “Optimization of machining fixture layout using integrated response surface methodology and evolutionary techniques,” Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: J. of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol.230, No.13, pp. 2245-2259, 2015.
-  K. Sundararaman, K. Padmanaban, M. Sabareeswaran, and S. Guharaja, “An integrated finite element method, response surface methodology, and evolutionary techniques for modeling and optimization of machining fixture layout for 3D hollow workpiece geometry,” Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: J. of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol.231, No.23, pp. 4344-4359, 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.