Realization of Swing Manipulation by 3-DOF Robot Arm for Unknown String via Parameter Estimation and Motion Generation
Kenta Tabata, Hiroaki Seki, Tokuo Tsuji, and Tatsuhiro Hiramitsu
Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa University
Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920-1192, Japan
Dynamically manipulating flexible objects using robots is difficult. Some studies have been conducted that only considered one type of object with known properties or that needed an identification test for string properties in advance. We propose a method to realize the dynamic manipulation of a string with unknown characteristics. We use a mass-spring-damper model for the string and repeat three steps: motion generation, real manipulation, and parameter estimation. The proposed method estimates the string properties to realize the motion objective via the real manipulation of the string. An identification test in advance was not necessary. In this study, we focus on swing manipulation. This can increase the motion energy of a string without a high-power actuator. After making a large swing, the robot can throw strings to a more distant target, such as a hammer throw. This motion is useful for explanation robots, rescue robots, and so on. We modified the proposed method to generate a swing manipulation. Then, we investigate whether swing manipulation can be performed by the proposed method and demonstrate its effectiveness via experiments with various strings with unknown characteristics.
-  R. Katano, T. Gomi, T. Tomizawa, S. Kudoh, and T. Suehiro, “Realization of five types of tabletop knotting with Dual-Arm robot,” J. Robot Soc. Jpn., Vol.33, Issue 7, pp. 505-513, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  M. Rambow, T. Schauß, M. Buss, and S. Hirche, “Autonomous manipulation of deformable objects based on teleoperated demonstrations,” Proc. of 2012 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2809-2814, doi: 10.1109/IROS.2012.6386002, 2012.
-  T. Matsuno, T. Fukuda, F. Arai, and Y. Hasegawa, “Flexible Rope Manipulation Using Elastic Deformation Modeling by Dual Manipulator System with Vision Sensor,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.16, No.1, pp. 31-38, doi: 10.20965/jrm.2004.p003, 2004.
-  A. Nair, D. Chen, P. Agrawal, P. Isola, P. Abbeel, J. Malik, and S. Levine, “Combining self-supervised learning and imitation for vision-based string manipulation,” Proc. of 2017 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 2146-2153, 2017.
-  M. Yan, Y. Zhu, N. Jin, and J. Bohg, “Self-Supervised Learning of State Estimation for Manipulating Deformable Linear Objects,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, Vol.5, pp. 2372-2379, 2020.
-  T. Suzuki, Y. Ebihara, T. Suzuki, Y. Ando, and M. Mizukawa, “Casting and Winding Manipulation with Hyper-Flexible Manipulator,” Proc. of 2006 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1674-1679, doi: 10.1109/IROS.2006.282123, 2006.
-  T. Suzuki and Y. Ebihara, “Casting Control for Hyper-Flexible Manipulation,” Proc. of 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 1369-1374, doi: 10.1109/ROBOT.2007.363175, 2007.
-  Y. Sawada and T. Watanabe, “Casting behavior of the string structure considering axial elongation,” J. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.85, No.872, 19-00008, doi: 10.1299/transjsme.19-00008, 2019 (in Japanese).
-  H. Miyakawa, T. Nemoto, and M. Iwase, “Model-Based Analysis of Yo-yo Throwing Motion on Single-Link Manipulator,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.32, No.4, pp. 822-831, doi: 10.20965/jrm.2020.p0822, 2020.
-  Y. Yamakawa, A. Namiki, and M. Ishikawa, “Motion planning for dynamic knotting of a flexible rope with a high-speed robot arm,” Proc. of 2010 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 49-54, 2010.
-  Y. Yamakawa, A. Namiki, and M. Ishikawa, “Dynamic manipulation of a cloth by high-speed robot system using highspeed visual feedback,” Proc. of the 18th Int. Federation of Automatic Control, pp. 8076-8081, 2011.
-  Y. Yamakawa, A. Namiki, and M. Ishikawa, “Simplified deformation model and shape generation of a rhythmic gymnastics ribbon using a high-speed multi-jointed manipulator,” Mechanical Engineering J., Vol.3, Issue 6, 15-00510, doi: 10.1299/mej.15-00510, 2016.
-  K. Tabata, H. Seki, T. Tsuji, T. Hiramitsu, and M. Hikizu, “Dynamic manipulation of unknown string by robot arm: realizing momentary string shapes,” ROBOMECH J., Vol.7, 39, doi: 10.1186/s40648-020-00187-w, 2020.
-  H. Arisumi, M. Otsuki, and S. Nishida, “Launching penetrator by casting manipulator system,” Proc. of 2012 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 5052-5058, doi: 10.1109/IROS.2012.6386078, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.