Machining Performance of Robot-Type Machine Tool Consisted of Parallel and Serial Links Based on Calibration of Kinematics Parameters
Keisuke Nagao, Nobuaki Fujiki, Hiroto Tanaka, Akio Hayashi, Hidetaka Yamaoka, and Yoshitaka Morimoto
Kanazawa Institute of Technology
7-1 Ohgigaoka, Nonoichi, Ishikawa 921-8501, Japan
This study aims to calibrate the posture of a robot-type machine tool comprising parallel and serial links using a kinematics error model and verify the machining performance based on the measurement results of a machined workpiece calibrated with kinematics parameters. A robot-type machine tool (XMINI, Exechon Enterprises LLC) is used in this study. Typically, the performance required of a robot-type machine tool is not only dimensional accuracy but also the contour accuracy of the machined workpiece. Therefore, in this study, we first construct a forward kinematics model of a robot-type machine tool and identify the kinematics parameters used in it via spatial positioning experiments using a coordinate measuring machine. Based on the parameter identification results, we calibrate this robot-type machine tool and evaluate its machining performance in terms of the dimensional accuracy and contour accuracy of the machined workpiece.
-  T. Harada and K. Dong, “Mechanical Design and Control of 3-DOF Active Scanning Probe Using Parallel Link Mechanism,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.2, pp. 86-90, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2011.p0086, 2011.
-  G. Ma, Y. Chen, Y. Yao, and J. Gao, “Kinematics and Singularity Analysis of a Four-Degree-of-Freedom Serial-Parallel Hybrid Manipulator,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.29, No.3, pp. 520-527, doi: 10.20965/jrm.2017.p0520, 2017.
-  S. Sakakibara, “Genkotsu-Robot and its Application Systems,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.30, No.2, pp. 154-156, doi: 10.7210/jrsj.30.154, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Takeda, “Kinematic Structure and Characteristics of Parallel Manipulators” The Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.30, No.2, pp. 124-129, doi: 10.7210/jrsj.30.124, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  T. Oiwa, “Precision Mechanism Based on Parallel Kinematics,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.4, pp. 326-337, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2010.p0326, 2010.
-  J.-S. Chen, “Design and analysis of a tripod machine tool with an integrated Cartesian guiding and metrology mechanism,” Vol.28, Issue 1, pp. 46-57, doi: 10.1016/S0141-6359(03)00073-4, 2004.
-  F. Gao, “A novel 5-DOF fully parallel kinematic machine tool,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.31, pp. 201-207, doi: 10.1007/s00170-005-0171-1, 2006.
-  T. Shibukawa, T. Toyama, and K. Hattori, “Parallel Mechanism Based Milling Machine,” J. of JSPE, Vol.63, No.12, pp. 1671-1675, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.63.1671, 1997.
-  K. Neumann, “The key to aerospace automation,” Proc. of the SAE Aerospace Manufacturing and Automated Fastening Conf. and Exhibition, 2006-01-3144, doi: 10.4271/2006-01-3144, 2006.
-  K. Neumann, “Practical and Portable Automated Machining,” Proc. of the SAE Aerospace Manufacturing and Automated Fastening, 2014-01-2275, doi: 10.4271/2014-01-2275, 2014.
-  D.-C. Trinh, D. Zlatanov, M. Zoppi, and R. Molfino, “Direct Kinematics of the Exechon Tripod,” Proc. of ASME IDETC/CIE, doi: 10.1115/DETC2016-60038, 2016.
-  http://exechon.com/xmini/ [Accessed April 19, 2021]
-  K. Nagao, N. Fujiki, Y. Morimoto, and A. Hayashi, “Calibration Method of Parallel Mechanism Type Machine Tools,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.14, No.3, pp. 429-437, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2020.p0429, 2020.
-  S. Aoyagi, M. Suzuki, T. Takahashi, Fujioka, and Y. Kamiya, “Calibration of Kinematic Parameters of Robot Arm Using Laser Tracking System: Compensation for Non-Geometric Errors by Neural Networks and Selection of Optimal Measuring Points by Genetic Algorithm,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.1, pp. 29-37, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2012.p0029, 2012.
-  H. Yachi and H. Tachiya, “Calibration Method for a Parallel Mechanism Type Machine Tool by Response Surface Methodology – Consideration via Simulation on a Stewart Platform Mechanism –,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.4, pp. 355-363, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2010.p0355, 2010.
-  H. Ota, T. Shibukawa et al., “Study of Kinematic Calibration Method for Parallel Mechanism (2nd Report) – Kinematic Calibration Using Forward Kinematics –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.66, No.10, pp. 1568-1572, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.66.1568, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  S. Ibaraki, T. Yokawa et al., “A Study on the Improvement of Motion Accuracy of Hexapod-type Parallel Mechanism Machine Tool (2nd Report) – A Calibration Method to Evaluate Positioning Errors on the Global Coordinate System –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.70, No.4, pp. 557-561, doi: 10.2493/jspe.70.557, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Takeda, G. Shen, and H. Funabashi, “Kinematic Calibration of In-Parallel Actuated Mechanisms Using Fourier Series (1st Report, Calibration Method and Selection Method of the Set of Measurement Paths),” JSME Int J., Series C, Vol.68, No.673, pp. 2762-2769, doi: 10.1299/kikaic.68.2762, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  K. Nagao, N. Fujiki, and Y. Morimoto, “Study on calibration method of parallel mechanism type machine tools – Solution of forward kinematics problem considering kinematic error –,” Proc. of the 2019 Annual Meeting of the JSPE, pp. 217-218, doi: 10.11522/pscjspe.2019S.0_217, 2019.
-  M. Nakagawa, T. Matsushita et al., “A Study on the Improvement of Motion Accuracy of Hexapod-type Parallel Mechanism Machine Tool (1st Report) – The Method of Kinematic Calibration Without Gravitation Deformation –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.67, No.8, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.67.1333, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  G. Shen, T. Takeda, and H. Funabashi, “Kinematic Calibration of In-Parallel Actuated Mechanisms Using Fourier Series (2nd Report, Experimental Investigations),” JSME Int J., Series C, Vol.69, No.682, pp. 227-234, doi: 10.1299/kikaic.69.1691, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  O. Sato, K. Shimojima, R. Furutani et al., “Artifact Calibration of Parallel Mechanism (1st Report) – Kinematic Calibration with a Priori Knowledge –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.70, No.1, pp. 96-100, doi: 10.2493/jspe.70.96, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  N. Zimmermann and S. Ibaraki, “Self-calibration of rotary axis and linear axes error motions by an automated on-machine probing test cycle,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.107, pp. 2107-2120, doi: 10.1007/s00170-020-05105-3, 2020.
-  S. Ibaraki, “Kinematic modeling and error sensitivity analysis for on-machine five-axis laser scanning measurement under machine geometric errors and workpiece setup errors,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.96, pp. 4051-4062, doi: 10.1007/s00170-018-1874-4, 2018.
-  S. Ibaraki, T. Yokawa et al., “A Study on the Improvement of Motion Accuracy of Hexapod-type Parallel Mechanism Machine Tool (3rd Report) – A Kinematic Calibration Method Considering Gravity Errors –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.72, No.3, pp. 355-359, doi: 10.2493/jspe.72.355, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  M. Hashimoto and Y. Imamura, “Kinematic Analysis and Design of a 3DOF Parallel Mechanism for a Passive Compliant Wrist of Manipulators,” JSME Int J., Series C, Vol.64, Issue 622, pp. 2116-2123, doi: 10.1299/kikaic.64.2116, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  R. Kang, H. Chanal, T. Bonnemains, S. Pateloup, D. Branson, and P. Ray, “Learning the forward kinematics behavior of a hybrid robot employing artificial neural networks,” Robotica, Vol.30. pp. 847-855, doi: 10.1017/S026357471100107X, 2012.
-  T. Oiwa, M. Kyogoku, and K. Yamaguchi, “Coordinate Measuring Machine using Parallel Mechanism (5th Report) – Kinematic Calibration with Three-Dimensional Ball Plate –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.68, No.1, pp. 65-69, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.68.65, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  Z. Bi, “Kinetostatic modeling of Exechon parallel kinematic machine for stiffness analysis,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.71, No.10, pp. 325-335, doi: 10.1007/s00170-013-5482-z, 2014.
-  JIS B 6336-7:2018 and Int. Organization for Standardization, “10791-7 Accuracy of Finished Test Pieces,” 2020.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.