Development of High-Performance Polycrystalline CVD Diamond-Coated Cutting Tools Using Femtosecond Lasers
Xiaoxu Liu, Osamu Konda, Hiroko Furuhashi, Kohei Natsume, Satoru Maegawa, and Fumihiro Itoigawa
Nagoya Institute of Technology
Gokiso-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 466-8555, Japan
Pulse laser grinding (PLG), an edge-shaping process, was developed previously to implement high-performance cutting tools. In this study, two femtosecond (fs) lasers with wavelengths of 1045 nm and 257 nm were used to conduct PLG on chemical vapor deposited (CVD) diamond-coated tool edges, as the fs laser is reported to have less thermal impact and the potential to improve the material crystallinity. We investigated the effects of the laser parameters on the tool edge formation and microstructural changes. The results show that although the infrared fs laser could – compared to the conventional nanosecond (ns)-laser PLG – naturally suppress surface thermal damage, the roughness of the processed surface remained relatively high with an Rz of 0.21 μm. However, under the optimal laser parameters proposed in this paper, an ultraviolet fs-laser PLG was used to obtain a much smoother edge, reducing Rz to approximately 0.08 μm. Moreover, scanning electron microscopy images indicated that the longitudinal machining marks on the ns-laser-processed surface were significantly reduced, with virtually no attached debris on the surface. Furthermore, from the Raman spectra, a significant increase in the diamond peak intensity was observed, indicating that the crystallinity of the CVD diamond (CVDD) was improved following ultraviolet-fs-laser PLG. These results demonstrate that edge shaping and structural modification of polycrystalline CVDDs can be integrated into ultraviolet-fs-laser PLG.
-  A.-Y. Jee and M. Lee, “Surface functionalization and physicochemical characterization of diamond nanoparticles,” Curr. Appl. Phys., Vol.9, No.2, pp. 144-147, 2009.
-  F. Jiao and K. Cheng, “An experimental investigation on micro–milling of polymethyl methacrylate components with nanometric surface roughness,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. B J. Eng. Manuf., Vol.228, No.5, pp. 790-796, 2014.
-  S. N. B. Oliaei, Y. Karpat, J. P. Davim, and A. Perveen, “Micro tool design and fabrication: A review,” J. Manuf. Process., Vol.36, pp. 496-519, 2018.
-  V. I. Konov, “Laser in micro and nanoprocessing of diamond materials,” Laser Photonics Rev., Vol.6, No.6, pp. 739-766, 2012.
-  C. Everson and P. Molian, “Fabrication of polycrystalline diamond microtool using a Q-switched Nd: YAG laser,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.45, No.5-6, 521, 2009.
-  C. Brecher, F. Klocke, F. Schindler, A. Janssen, B. Fischer, and J. Hermani, “Finishing of polycrystalline diamond tools by combining laser ablation with grinding,” Prod. Eng., Vol.7, No.4, pp. 361-371, 2013.
-  Y. Yang, G. Zhao, M. Hu, L. Li, N. He, and M. Jamil, “Fabrication of CVD diamond micro-milling tool by hybrid machining of laser-induced graphitization and precision grinding,” Ceram. Int., Vol.45, Issue 18, pp. 24127-24136, 2019.
-  D. Suzuki, F. Itoigawa, K. Kawata, and T. Nakamura, “Using pulse laser processing to shape cutting edge of PCBN tool for high-precision turning of hardened steel,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.3, pp. 337-344, 2013.
-  Y. Mabuchi, F. Itoigawa, T. Nakamura, K. Kawata, and T. Suganuma, “High precision turning of hardened steel by use of PcBN insert sharpened with short pulse laser,” Key Eng. Mater., Vol.656, pp. 277-282, 2015.
-  X. Liu, K. Natsume, S. Maegawa, and F. Itoigawa, “Micromachining of polycrystalline CVD diamond-coated cutting tool with femtosecond laser,” J. Adv. Mech. Des. Syst. Manuf., Vol.14, No.4, JAMDSM0059, 2020.
-  X. Liu, K. Natsume, S. Maegawa, and F. Itoigawa, “Improvement of crystallization in CVD diamond coating induced by femtosecond laser irradiation,” Diam. Relat. Mater., Vol.107, 107883, 2020.
-  X. Zhan, F. Ma, Y. Li, J. Chen, and H. Xu, “Crystallizing amorphous silicon film by using femtosecond laser pulses,” Proc. of the 2018 IEEE Int. Conf. Integr. Circuits, Technol. Appl. (ICTA), pp. 84-85, 2018.
-  L. C. Nistor, J. V. Landuyt, V. G. Ralchenkoet, T. V. Kononenko, E. D. Obraztsova, and V. E. Strelnitsky, “Direct observation of laser-induced crystallization of aC: H films,” Appl. Phys. A, Vol.58, No.2, pp. 137-144, 1994.
-  Z. Wang and F. Liu, “Pulse laser induced graphite-to-diamond phase transition: the role of quantum electronic stress,” Sci. China. Phys. Mech., Vol.60, No.2, 026811, 2017.
-  A. Banaszak-Piechowska and P. Malinowski, “Raman studies of amorphous carbon phase in diamond films grown by hot-filament CVD,” Solid State Phenom., Vol.237, pp. 263-267, 2015.
-  K. Fabisiak, R. Torz-Piotrowska, E. Staryga, M. Szybowicz, K. Paprocki, A. Banaszak, and P. Popielarski, “The influence of working gas on CVD diamond quality,” Mater. Sci. Eng. B, Vol.177, No.15, pp. 1352-1357, 2012.
-  M. Malinauskas, A. Žukauskas, S. Hasegawa, Y. Hayasaki, V. Mizeikis, R. Buividas, and S. Juodkazis, “Ultrafast laser processing of materials: From science to industry,” Light Sci. Appl., Vol.5, No.8, 16133, 2016.
-  J. Filik, “Raman spectroscopy: a simple, non-destructive way to characterise diamond and diamond-like materials,” Spectrosc. Eur., Vol.17, No.5, 10, 2005.
-  K. Fabisiak, A. Banaszak, M. Kaczmarski, and M. Kozanecki, “Structural characterization of CVD diamond films using Raman and ESR spectroscopy methods,” Opt. Mater., Vol.28, No.1-2, pp. 106-110, 2006.
-  K. Hasegawa, X. Liu, S. Maegawa, and F. Itoigawa, “Surface roughness of finished surface by processing with short-pulse laser,” Proc. 18th Int. Conf. Precis. Eng., pp. 53-54, 2020.
-  J. K. Park, V. M. Ayres, J. Asmussen, and K. Mukherjee, “Precision micromachining of CVD diamond films,” Diam. Relat. Mater., Vol.9, No.3-6, pp. 1154-1158, 2000.
-  K. Nastume, X. Liu, S. Maegawa, F. Itoigawa, K. Higuchi, S. Ono, and M. Ota, “Effect of CVD diamond surface modification using ultrashort pulse laser,” Proc. of Tribology Conf. of Spring, 2019.
-  H. Hu, M. Liu, Z. F. Wang, J. Zhu, D. Wu, H. Ding, and F. Liu, “Quantum electronic stress: Density-functional-theory formulation and physical manifestation,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol.109, No.5, 055501, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.