Remanufacturing Option Selection with Disassembly for Recovery Rate and Profit
Kazuki Yoda*, Hayate Irie*, Yuki Kinoshita*, Tetsuo Yamada*,, Shuho Yamada**, and Masato Inoue**
*Department of Informatics, The University of Electro-Communications
1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu-shi, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering Informatics, Meiji University, Kawasaki, Japan
In order to cope with the issue of depletion of natural resources, expectations for economical designs of the closed-loop supply chains of products that include remanufacturing in their lifecycle have recently significantly grown. However, since disassembly of a product to remanufacture it is costly due to high labor costs, the lifecycle option of remanufacturing an end of life product by disassembly and reassembly needs to be established environmentally as well as economically. In this study, we propose a remanufacturing option selection method that takes recovery rates and profits into account. First, a bill of materials of a product is prepared to create data for remanufacturing. Next, its remanufacturing option selection is formulated by using the 0-1 integer programming. Lastly, the proposed remanufacturing option selection method is verified by analyzing the sensitivities of the recovery rates and selling prices of the remanufactured products using the ϵ constraint method. The proposed method that takes remanufacturing into account has demonstrated a generating larger profits than a conventional method maintaining high recovery rates at the same levels in a case study.
-  R. Ravindran and D. Warsing Jr., “Supply Chain Engineering: Models and Applications,” CRC Press, 2013.
-  A. Y. Alqahtani, E. Kongar, K. K. Pochampally, and S. M. Gupta (Eds.), “Responsible Manufacturing: Issues Pertaining to Sustainability,” CRC Press, 2019.
-  H. Kobayashi, “Product Life Cycle Planning,” Ohmsha, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  F. Kimura, Y. Umeda, S. Takahashi, N. Tanaka, K. Nagata, J. Fujimoto, R. Matsuhashi, and T. Mitsuhashi, “Handbook of Inverse Mnufacturing – Circular Manufacturing of Post Recycling,” Maruzen, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  A. Ishigaki, T. Yamada, and S. M. Gupta, “Design of a Closed-Loop Supply Chain with Stochastic Product Returns,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.4, pp. 563-571, 2017.
-  A. J. D. Lambert and S. M. Gupta, “Disassembly Modeling for Assembly, Maintenance Reuse, and Recycling,” CRC Press, 2005.
-  H. Hiraoka and A. Tanaka, “Simulation for Reuse of Mechanical Parts with Network Agents,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.1, pp. 77-83, 2009.
-  S. Y. Nof, E. W. Wilhelm, and H. Warnecke, “Industrial Assembly,” Champman & Hall, p. 2, 1997.
-  M. Matsumoto, N. Mishima, and S. Kondoh, “Tele-Inverse Manufacturing – An International E-Waste Recycling Proposal,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.1, pp. 11-18, 2009.
-  S. Smith, L. Y. Hsu, and G. C. Smith, “Partial Disassembly Sequence Planning Based on Cost-Benefit Analysis,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.139, pp. 729-739, 2016.
-  K. Igarashi, T. Yamada, and M. Inoue, “2-Stage Optimal Design and Analysis for Disassembly System with Environmental and Economic Parts Selection Using the Recyclability Evaluation Method,” Int. J. of Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 52-66, 2014.
-  K. Igarashi, T. Yamada, S. M. Gupta, M. Inoue, and N. Itsubo, “Disassembly System Modeling and Design with Parts Selection for Cost, Recycling, and CO2 Saving Rates using Multi Criteria Optimization,” J. of Manufacturing Systems, Vol.38, No.41, pp. 151-164, 2016.
-  Y. Kinoshita, T. Yamada, S. M. Gupta, A. Ishigaki, and M. Inoue, “Disassembly Parts Selection and Analysis for Recycling Rate and Cost by Goal Programming,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 1-15, 2016.
-  S. Hasegawa, Y. Kinoshita, T. Yamada, M. Inoue, and S. Bracke, “Disassembly Reuse Part Selection for Recovery Rate and Cost with Lifetime Analysis,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.6, pp. 822-832, 2018.
-  S. Okumura, Y. Matsumoto, Y. Hatanaka, and K. Ogohara, “Simultaneous Evaluation of Environmental Impact and Incurred Cost on Selection of End-Of-Life Products Recovery Options,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.5, pp. 699-707, 2016.
-  Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, and Ministry of the Environment, “Raising Recycling Rates and Promoting Advanced Recycling.” http://www.env.go.jp/council/03recycle/y032-33.html [Accessed July 15, 2020]
-  T. Akahori, Y. Matsuno, Y. Adachi, N. Yamamoto, Y. Hamatsuka, and T. Nishi, “Application of REM (Recyclability Evaluation Method) to Home Electric Appliances: Evaluation of Recycling Rates and Cost,” J. of the Japan Society of Waste Management Experts, Vol.19, No.1, pp. 44-50, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  F. S. Hiller and G. J. Liberman, “Introduction to Operations Research,” McGraw-Hill, pp. 478-546, 2005.
-  M. Eskandarpour, P. Dejax, J. Miemczyk, and O. Péton, “Sustainable Supply Chain Network Design: An Optimization-Oriented Review,” Omega, Vol.54, pp. 11-32, 2015.
-  NTT DATA Mathematical System Inc., Numerical Optimizer. http://www.msi.co.jp/english/index.html [Accessed March 25, 2020]
-  K. Schoenebeck and M. Holtzman, “Interpreting and Analyzing Financial Statements,” Pearson, 2013.
-  O. Ondemir and S. M. Gupta, “A Multi-Criteria Decision Making Model for Advanced Repair-To-Order and Disassembly-To-Order System,” European J. of Operational Research, Vol.233, No.2, pp. 408-419, 2014.
-  Reliability Engineering Association of Japan, “Reliability Handbook,” JUSE Press, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  T. Suzuki, S. Arimoto, Y. Ueno, H. Kawasaki, Y. Matsumoto, and H. Tanase, “Study of Assembly Reliability Evaluation Method,” Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, The 13th Conf. on Design Engineering, System Dicision, Fukuoka, Japan, pp. 262-265, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Ueno, H. Tanase, T. Suzuki, S. Arimoto, H. Kawasaki, and Y. Matsumoto, “Study of the Assembling Reliability Evaluation (Application to the Plumbing Work of the Heavy Industrial Machine Product),” Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, The 14th Conf. on Design Engineering, System Dicision, Fukuoka, Japan, pp. 168-171, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, Input-Output Tables. http://www.soumu.go.jp/toukei_toukatsu/data/io/index.htm [Accessed September 29, 2020]
-  S. Yamada, T. Yamada, S. Bracke, and M. Inoue, “Upgradable Design for Sustainable Manufacturer Performance and Profitability and Reduction of Environmental Load,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.5, pp. 690-698, 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.