Packaging Evaluation of Consumer Electronics Products from Economic, Logistical, and Environmental Perspectives
Wu-Hsun Chung and Pei-Cheng Wu
Department of Transportation Science, National Taiwan Ocean University
4th Floor Tech. Building, No.2, Beining Rd., Keelung 20224, Taiwan
With the growing applications of information technologies, consumer electronics products are being widely used in our daily life and at our workplaces. However, most consumer electronics packaging is one-time consumption and produces tremendous environmental impacts. Different package designs affect not only logistics efficiency, but also environmental performance. Here, various package designs for a consumer electronics product are studied and a packaging evaluation method is proposed. The method evaluates package designs mainly based on package characteristics information to avoid the inclusion of too much subjective human judgment. The criteria of the evaluation consider five aspects: marketing, logistics, cost, user convenience, and environment, including protection and containment, stackability, volume, and weight efficiency, product information, packaging cost, packaging waste, etc. The case of computer mice is used to illustrate the proposed method. The preliminary results show that different package designs of a consumer electronics product have a significant impact on logistical, marketing, economic, and environmental performance. Based on existing data of package designs, the proposed method can provide valuable information for improvements in package design, supply chain efficiency, and environmental impact.
-  D. Twede and B. Parsons, “Distribution packaging for logistical systems, A Literature Review,” Pira International, 1997.
-  Reuters, “Alibaba’s Singles’ Day Sales Smash Record With $25 Billion Haul,” 2017.
-  G. Jönson, “Packaging Technology for the logistician,” Lund University, Lund, Sweden, 2000.
-  D. Twede, “The process of logistical packaging innovation,” J. of Business Logistics, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 69-94, 1992.
-  A. Lockamy III, “A conceptual framework for assessing strategic packaging decisions,” The Int. J. of Logistics Management, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 51-60, 1995.
-  U. R. Orth and K. Malkewitz, “Holistic package design and consumer brand impressions,” J. of Marking, Vol.72, No.3, pp. 64-81, 2008.
-  B. Rundh, “Packaging design: Creating competitive advantage with product packaging,” British Food J., Vol.111, No.9, pp. 988-1002, 2009.
-  B. Rundh, “Linking packaging to marketing: How packaging is influencing the marketing strategy,” British Food J., Vol.115, No.11, pp. 1547-1563, 2013.
-  J. Klevås, “Design for packaging logistics,” Proc. 9th Int. Design Conf., Dubrovnik, 2006, pp. 269-278, 2006.
-  F. Chan, H. Chan, and K. Choy, “A systematic approach to manufacturing packaging logistics,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.29, Nos.9-10, pp. 1088-1101, 2006.
-  D. Hellström and M. Saghir, “Packaging and logistics interactions in retail supply chains,” Packaging Technology and Science, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 197-216, 2007.
-  J. García-Arca, J. C. Prado-Prado, and A. Trinidad González-Portela Garrido, “Strategic packaging logistics: A case study from a supply chain perspective,” J. Carlos Prado-Prado and J. García-Arca (Eds.), “Annals of Industrial Engineering 2012 Industrial Engineering: overcoming the crisis,” London, Springer, pp. 307-314, 2012.
-  H. Lindh, H. Williams, A. Olsson, and F. Wikström, “Elucidating the indirect contributions of packaging to sustainable development: A terminology of packaging functions and features,” Packaging Technology and Science, Vol.29, No.4, pp. 225-246, 2016.
-  E. Svanes, M. Vold, H. Møller, M. K. Pettersen, H. Larsen, and O. J. Hanssen, “Sustainable packaging design: a holistic methodology for packaging design,” Packaging Technology and Science, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 161-175, 2010.
-  H. Pålsson, C. Finnsgård, and C. Wänström, “Selection of packaging systems in supply chains from a sustainability perspective: the case of Volvo,” Packaging Technology and Science, Vol.26, No.5, pp. 289-310, 2013.
-  J. García-Arca, A. Trinidad González-Portela, and J. Carlos Prado-Prado, “Packaging as source of efficient and sustainable advantages in supply chain management: An analysis of bricks,” Int. J. Prod. Manag. Eng., Vol.2, No.1, pp. 15-22, 2014.
-  S. Zailani, M. R. Shaharudin, V. Govindasamy, M. Ismail, and S. F. A. S. Mahdzar, “The eco-efficiency practices of the sustainable packaging and its effect towards sustainable supply chain performance,” Proc. 2015 Int. Symp. on Technology Management and Emerging Technologies (ISTMET), pp. 448-453, 2015.
-  H. Pålsson, “Packaging Logistics: Understanding and managing the economic and environmental impacts of packaging in supply chains,” Kogan Page Publishers, 2018.
-  W. Lee, J. Kim, and C. Park, “Topology Optimization for Polymeric Foam Shock-Absorbing Structure Using Hybrid Cellular Automata,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.3, pp. 365-375, 2014.
-  PRé Consultants, “The Eco-indicator 99: A damage oriented method for Life Cycle Impact Assessment,” 2000.