Investigation of Internal Thread Cutting Phenomena in Three Axes by Controlling Helical Interpolate Motion Considering Tool Position Information from Servo-Drive
Shota Matsui*,, Nobutoshi Ozaki*, Toshiki Hirogaki*, Eiichi Aoyama*, and Takamasa Yamamoto**
1-3 Tataramiyakodani, Kyotanabe-shi, Kyoto 610-0394, Japan
**Yamamoto Metal Technos Co., Ltd., Osaka, Japan
In this study, the authors investigate improving the precision of a thread by deriving its radial force (thrust force) with a four-component piezoelectric dynamometer and thread cutting by helical interpolation motion using a thread mill. The accuracy of the thread is discussed with respect to changing hardness of the work material. In addition, by recording the position information at the time of thread cutting from the servo guide on the data logger, the relationships among the cutting forces of the four components and the radial force are confirmed by various methods; further, the consistency of these relationships was confirmed.
-  T. Ikegami, T. Hirogaki, and E. Aoyama, “Development of Automatic Servo Tuning Function in Rotary Axis with DDM for Machine Tools and its Performance for Stable Machining,” J. Materials Sci. Forum, Vol.874, pp. 511-516, 2016.
-  T. Suzuki, K. Yoshikawa, T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, and T. Ikegami, “Improved Method for Synchronizing Motion Accuracy of Linear and Rotary Axes Under Constant Feed Speed Vector at End Milling Point – Investigation of Motion Error Under NC-Commanded Motion –,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.13, No.5, pp. 679-690, 2019.
-  K. Nakamoto and Y. Takeuchi, “Recent Advances in Multiaxis Control and Multitasking Machining,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.2, pp. 140-154, 2017.
-  Z. Li, Q. Liu, X. Ming, X. Wang, and Y. Dong, “Cutting force prediction and analytical solution of regenerative chatter stability for helical milling operation,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.73, pp. 433-442, 2014.
-  B. Sencer and Y. Altintas, “Identification of 5-Axis Machine Tools Feed Drive Systems for Contouring Simulation,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.3, pp. 377-386, 2011.
-  M. Sudo, “Advanced Control Technologies for 5-Axis Machining,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.1, No.2, pp. 108-109, 2007.
-  G. M. Zhang and S. G. Kapoor, “Dynamic Modeling and Analysis of Boring Machining System,” J. Eng. Ind., Vol.109, pp. 219-226, 2001.
-  B. Moetakef-Imani and N. Z. Yussefian, “Dynamic simulation of boring process,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.49, No.14, pp. 1096-1103, 2009.
-  C. Mei, “Active regenerative chatter suppression during boring manufacturing process,” J. Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manuf., Vol.21, No.2, pp. 153-158, 2005.
-  M. B. Bieterman and D. R. Sandstrom, “A Curvilinear Tool-Path Method for Pocket Machining,” Proc. ASME 2002 Int. Mech. Eng. Congress Expos, pp. 149-158, 2002.
-  H. S. Choy and K. W. Chan, “A corner-looping based tool path for pocket milling,” Computer-Aided Design, Vol.35, No.2, pp. 155-166, 2003.
-  C. Gologle and N. Sakarya, “The effects of cutter path strategies on surface roughness of pocket milling of 1.2738 steel based on Taguchi method,” J. Materials Processing Technol., Vol.206, Nos.1-3, pp. 7-15, 2008.
-  Y. Yamaoka, Y. Kakino, and T. Sato, “High Speed and High Productive Tapping by Intelligent Machine Tools (3rd Report) – Prevention of Tap Tool Breakage and Monitoring of Tool Failure for Difficult-to-machine Materials by Real-time Adaptive Control,” J. JSPE, Vol.68, No.9, pp. 1226-228, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  R. Matsuda, M. Shindou, T. Hirogaki, and E. Aoyama, “Monitoring of Rotational Vibration in Tap and Endmill Processes with a Wireless Multifunctional Tool Holder System,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.6, pp. 876-882, 2018.
-  D. Zhang and D. Chen, “Relief-face friction in vibration tapping,” Int. J. Mechanical Sciences, Vol.40, No.12, pp. 1209-1222, 1998.
-  G. Fromentin and G. Poulachon, “Geometrical analysis of thread milling-part 1: evaluation of tool angles,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.49, pp. 73-80, 2010.
-  S. Matsui, N. Ozaki, T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, and M. Shindo, “Study of screw cutting based on numerical controlled helical interpolation motion,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.62, No.12, pp. 632-637, 2018 (in Japanese).
-  T. Cao and J. W. Sutherland, “Investigation of thread tapping load characteristics through mechanistics modeling and experimentation,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.42, No.14, pp. 1527-1538, 2002.
-  S. C. Veldhuis, G. K. Dosbaeva, and G. Benga, “Application of ultra-thin fluorine-content lubricating films to reduce tool/workpiece adhesive interaction during thread-cutting operations,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.47, Nos.3-4, pp. 521-528, 2007.
-  O. A. Mezentsev, R. Zhu, R. E. Devor, S. G. Kapoor, and W. A. Kline, “Use of radial forces for fault detection in tapping,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol.42, No.4, pp. 497-488, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.