Calibration Method of Parallel Mechanism Type Machine Tools
Keisuke Nagao, Nobuaki Fujiki, Yoshitaka Morimoto, and Akio Hayashi
Kanazawa Institute of Technology
7-1 Ohgigaoka, Nonoichi, Ishikawa 924-8501, Japan
This paper proposes a calibration method for a parallel mechanism type machine tool (XMINI, Exechon Enterprises L.L.C.). In this method, the kinematic parameters are calculated using forward kinematics and the least squares method from the results obtained by a coordinate measuring machine. By using an articulated arm coordinate measuring machine (AACMM), we can measure a wide space, and the measuring machine position do not have to be determined strictly. This paper provides a solution for the forward kinematics problem to identify the kinematic parameters. The results from the kinematic parameter calculation are evaluated using the experimental results from an actual machine.
-  Y. Takeda, “Kinematic Structure and Characteristics of Parallel Manipulators,” The Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.30, No.2, pp. 124-129, doi: 10.7210/jrsj.30.124, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  T. Shibukawa, T. Toyama, and K. Hattori, “Parallel Mechanism Based Milling Machine,” J. of JSPE, Vol.63, No.12, pp. 1671-1675, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.63.1671, 1997.
-  T. Oiwa, “Precision Mechanism Based on Parallel Kinematics,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 326-336, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2010.p0326, 2010.
-  T. Harada and K. Dong, “Mechanical Design and Control of 3-DOF Active Scanning Probe Using Parallel Link Mechanism,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.2, pp. 86-90, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2011, 2011.
-  G. Ma, Y. Chen, Y. Yao, and J. Gao, “Kinematics and Singularity Analysis of a Four-Degree-of-Freedom Serial-Parallel Hybrid Manipulator,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.29, No.3, pp. 520-527, doi: 10.20965/jrm.2017, 2017.
-  K. Neumann, “The key to aerospace automation,” SAE Aerospace Manufacturing and Automated Fastening Conf. and Exhibition, 2006-01-3144, doi: 10.4271/2006-01-3144, 2006.
-  K. Neumann, “Practical and Portable Automated Machining,” SAE Aerospace Manufacturing and Automated Fastening, 2014-01-2275, doi: 10.4271/2014-01-2275, 2014.
-  S. Aoyagi, M. Suzuki, T. Takahashi, J. Fujioka, and Y. Kamiya, “Calibration of Kinematic Parameters of Robot Arm Using Laser Tracking System: Compensation for Non-Geometric Errors by Neural Networks and Selection of Optimal Measuring Points by Genetic Algorithm,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.1, pp. 29-37, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2012, 2012.
-  H. Yachi and H. Tachiya, “Calibration Method for a Parallel Mechanism Type Machine Tool by Response Surface Methodology – Consideration via Simulation on a Stewart Platform Mechanism –,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.4, pp. 355-363, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2010, 2010.
-  H. Ota, T. Shibukawa et al., “Study of Kinematic Calibration Method for Parallel Mechanism (2nd Report) – Kinematic Calibration Using Forward Kinematics –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.66, No.10, pp. 1568-1572, doi: 10. 2493/jjspe.66.1568, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  S. Ibaraki, T. Yokawa et al., “A Study on the Improvement of Motion Accuracy of Hexapod-type Parallel Mechanism Machine Tool (2nd Report) – A Calibration Method to Evaluate Positioning Errors on the Global Coordinate System –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.70, No.4, pp. 557-561, doi: 10.2 493/jspe.70.557, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Takeda, G. Shen, and H. Funabashi, “Kinematic Calibration of In-Parallel Actuated Mechanisms Using Fourier Series (1st Report, Calibration Method and Selection Method of the Set of Measurement Paths),” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.68, No.673. pp. 2762-2769, doi: 10.1299/kikaic.68.2762, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  S. Ibaraki, T. Yokawa et al., “A Study on the Improvement of Motion Accuracy of Hexapod-type Parallel Mechanism Machine Tool (3rd Report) – A Kinematic Calibration Method Considering Gravity Errors –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.72, No.3, pp. 355-359, doi: 10.2493/jspe.72.355, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  M. Nakagawa, T. Matsushita et al., “A Study on the Improvement of Motion Accuracy of Hexapod-type Parallel Mechanism Machine Tool (1st Report) – The Method of Kinematic Calibration without Gravitation Deformation –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.67, No.8, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.67.1333, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  G. Shen, T. Takeda, and H. Funabashi, “Kinematic Calibration of In-Parallel Actuated Mechanisms Using Fourier Series (2nd Report, Experimental Investigations),” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.69, No.682, pp. 1691-1698, doi: 10.1299/kikaic.69.1691, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  O. Sato, K. Shimojima, R. Furutani et al., “Artifact Calibration of Parallel Mechanism (1st Report) – Kinematic Calibration with a Priori Knowledge – ,” J. of JSPE, Vol.70, No.1, pp. 96-100, doi: 10.2493/jspe.70.96, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  T. Oiwa, M. Kyogoku, and K. Yamaguchi, “Coordinate Measuring Machine using Parallel Mechanism (5th Report) – Kinematic Calibration with Three-Dimensional Ball Plate –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.68, No.1, pp. 65-69, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.68.65, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  M. Hashimoto and Y. Imamura, “Kinematic Analysis and Design of a 3DOF Parallel Mechanism for a Passive Compliant Wrist of Manipulators,” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.64, No.622, pp. 250-257, doi: 10.1299/kikaic.64.2116, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  R. Kang, H. Chanal, T. Bonnemains, S. Pateloup, D. T. Branson, and P. Ray, “Learning the forward kinematics behavior of a hybrid robot employing artificial neural networks,” Robotica, Vol.30, Issue 5, pp. 847-855, doi: 10.1017/S026357471100107X, 2012.
-  C. Trinh, D. Zlatanov, and M. Zoppi, “Direct Kinematics of the Exechon Tripod,” Proc. of ASME 2016 Int. Design Engineering Technical Conf. and Computers and Information in Engineering Conf., DETC2016-60038, V05BT07A092, doi: 10.1115/DETC2016-60038, 2016.
-  Z. Bi, “Kinetostatic modeling of Exechon parallel kinematic machine for stiffness analysis,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.71, No.10, pp. 325-335, doi: 10.1007/s00170-013-5482-z, 2014.
-  K. Nagao, N. Fujiki, and Y. Morimoto, “Study on calibration method of parallel mechanism type machine tools – Solution of forward kinematics problem considering kinematic error –,” Proc. of the 2019 Annual Meeting of the JSPE, pp. 217-218, doi: 10.11522/pscjspe.2019S.0_217, 2019.
-  JIS B 0680:2007, “Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS) – Standard reference temperature for geometrical product specification and verification,” 2007.