A Digital Perspective on Machine Tool Calibration
Benjamin Montavon, Philipp Dahlem, Martin Peterek, and Robert H. Schmitt
Laboratory for Machine Tools and Production Engineering (WZL), RWTH Aachen University
Campus-Boulevard 30, Aachen 52074, Germany
-  A. A. Potdar, A. P. Longstaff, S. Fletcher, and N. S. Mian, “Application of Multi Sensor Data Fusion Based on Principal Component Analysis and Artificial Neural Network for Machine Tool Thermal Monitoring,” Proc. of Laser Metrology and Machine Performance XI: 11th Int. Conf. and Exhibition on Laser Metrology, Machine Tool, CMM and Robotic Performance (Lamdamap 2015), University of Huddersfield, Queensgate, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK, pp. 228-237, 2015.
-  A. M. Abdulshahed, A. P. Longstaff, S. Fletcher, and A. Myers, “Thermal error modelling of machine tools based on ANFIS with fuzzy c-means clustering using a thermal imaging camera,” Applied Mathematical Modelling, Vol.39, No.7, pp. 1837-1852, 2015.
-  C. Baum, C. Brecher, M. Klatte, T. H. Lee, and F. Tzanetos, “Thermally induced volumetric error compensation by means of integral deformation sensors,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.72, pp. 1148-1153, 2018.
-  K. Szipka, A. Archenti, G. W. Vogl, and M. A. Donmez, “Identification of machine tool squareness errors via inertial measurements,” CIRP Annals, Vol.68, No.1, pp. 547-550, 2019.
-  G. W. Vogl, M. A. Donmez, and A. Archenti, “Diagnostics for geometric performance of machine tool linear axes,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.65, No.1, pp. 377-380, 2016.
-  M. Armendia, A. Alzaga, F. Peysson, T. Fuertjes, F. Cugnon, E. Ozturk, and D. Flum, “Machine Tool: From the Digital Twin to the Cyber-Physical Systems,” M. Armendia, M. Ghassempouri, E. Ozturk, and F. Peysson (Eds.), “Twin-Control: A Digital Twin Approach to Improve Machine Tools Lifecycle,” Springer Int. Publishing, pp. 3-21, 2019.
-  H. Schwenke W. Knapp, H. Haitjema, A. Weckenmann, R. Schmitt, and F. Delbressine, “Geometric error measurement and compensation of machines – An update,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, No.2, pp. 660-675, 2008.
-  S. Ibaraki and W. Knapp, “Indirect Measurement of Volumetric Accuracy for Three-Axis and Five-Axis Machine Tools: A Review,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.2, pp. 110-124, 2012.
-  B. Montavon, P. Dahlem, and S. H. Schmitt, “Fast Machine Tool Calibration using a single Laser Tracker,” Proc. of 13th Int. Conf. and Exhibition on Laser Metrology, Coordinate Measuring Machine, and Machine Tool Performance, pp. 203-213, 2019.
-  S. Aguado, D. Samper, J. Santolaria, and J. J. Aguilar, “Volumetric verification of multiaxis machine tool using laser tracker,” The Scientific World J., Vol.2014, 959510, 2014.
-  P. Freeman, “A Novel Means of Software Compensation for Robots and Machine Tools,” SAE Technical Paper, 2006-01-3167, 2006.
-  K. Umetsu, R. Furutnani, S. Osawa, T. Takatsuji, and T. Kurosawa, “Geometric calibration of a coordinate measuring machine using a laser tracking system,” Meas. Sci. Technol, Vol.16, No.12, pp. 2466-2472, 2005.
-  U. Mutilba, J. A. Yagüe-Fabra, E. Gomez-Acedo, G. Kortaberria, and A. Olarra, “Integrated multilateration for machine tool automatic verification,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.67, No.1, pp. 555-558, 2018.
-  P. Dahlem, B. Montavon, M. Peterek, and R. H. Schmitt, “Enhancing Laser Step Diagonal Measurement by Multiple Sensors for Fast Machine Tool Calibration,” J. of Machine Engineering, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 64-74, 2018.
-  C. Wang, “Laser vector measurement technique for the determination and compensation of volumetric positioning errors. Part I: Basic theory,” Rev. Sci. Instrum, Vol.71, No.10, 3933, 2000.
-  N. Alami Mchichi and J. R. R. Mayer, “Axis Location Errors and Error Motions Calibration for a Five-axis Machine Tool Using the SAMBA Method,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.14, pp. 305-310, 2014.
-  C. Brecher, J. Behrens, M. Klatte, T. H. Lee, and F. Tzanetos, “Measurement and analysis of thermo-elastic deviation of five-axis machine tool using dynamic R-test,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.77, pp. 521-524, 2018.
-  U. Mutilba, E. Gomez-Acedo, G. Kortaberria, A. Olarra, and J. A. Yagüe-Fabra, “Traceability of On-Machine Tool Measurement: A Review,” Sensors (Basel, Switzerland), Vol.17, No.7, 1605, 2017.
-  Y. T. Chen, W. C. Lin, and C. S. Liu, “Design and experimental verification of novel six-degree-of freedom geometric error measurement system for linear stage,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol.92, pp. 94-104, 2017.
-  X. Li, W. Gao, H. Muto, Y. Shimizu, S. Ito, and S. Dian, “A six-degree-of-freedom surface encoder for precision positioning of a planar motion stage,” Precision Engineering, Vol.37, No.3, pp. 771-781, 2013.
-  Z. Gao, J. Hu, Y. Zhu, and G. Duan, “A new 6-degree-of-freedom measurement method of X-Y stages based on additional information,” Precision Engineering, Vol.37, No.3, pp. 606-620, 2013.
-  B. Montavon, P. Dahlem, M. Peterek, M. Ohlenforst, and R. H. Schmitt, “Modelling Machine Tools using Structure Integrated Sensors for Fast Calibration,” J. Manuf. Mater. Process., Vol.2, No.1, p. 14, 2018.
-  J. Mayr, J. Jedrzejewski, E. Uhlmann, M. A. Donmez, W. Knapp, F. Härtig, K. Wendt, R. Moriwaki, P. Shore, R. Schmitt, C. Brecher, T. Würz, and K. Wegener, “Thermal issues in machine tools,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, No.2, pp. 771-791, 2012.
-  J. Mayr, “Beurteilung und Kompensation des Temperaturganges von Werkzeugmaschinen,” ETH Zurich, 2009.
-  VDW – German Machine Tool Builders, “Association, umati: universal machine tool interface.” https://vdw.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Flyer_umati_EN_V3.1.pdf [Accessed on March 2, 2020]
-  J. Pennekamp, R. Glebke, M. Henze, T. Meisen, C. Quix, R. Hai, L. Gleim, P. Niemietz, M. Rudack, S. Knape, A. Epple, D. Trauth, U. Vroomen, T. Bergs, C. Brecher, A. Buhrig-Polaczek, M. Jarke, and K. Wehrle, “Towards an Infrastructure Enabling the Internet of Production,” 2019 IEEE Int. Conf. on Industrial Cyber Physical Systems (ICPS), pp. 31-37, 2019.
-  C. Brecher, F. Klocke, R. Schmitt, and G. Schuh (Eds.) “Internet of Production für agile Unternehmen: AWK Aachener Werkzeugmaschinen-Kolloquium 2017, 18. bis 19. Mai (1st ed.),” Apprimus Verlag, 2017.
-  B. Montavon, M. Peterek, and R. H. Schmitt, “Model-based interfacing of large-scale metrology instruments,” Proc. of SPIE, 11059-11, 2019.
-  S. G. Hackel, F. Härtig, J. Hornig, and T. Wiedenhöfer, “The Digital Calibration Certificate,” PTB-Mitteilungen, Vol.127, Issue 4, pp. 75-81, 2017.
-  Y. Lin and Y. Shen, “Modelling of Five-Axis Machine Tool Metrology Models Using the Matrix Summation Approach,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.21, No.4, pp. 243-248, 2003.
-  C. Brecher, T. H. Lee, F. Tzanetos, and D. Zontar, “Hybrid modeling of thermo-elastic behavior of a three-axis machining center using integral deformation sensors,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.81, pp. 1301-1306, 2019.
-  J. Mayr, P. Blaser, A. Ryser, and P. Hernandez-Becerro, “An adaptive self-learning compensation approach for thermal errors on 5-axis machine tools handling an arbitrary set of sample rates,” CIRP Annals, Vol.67, No.1, pp. 551-554, 2018.
-  B. Montavon, P. Dahlem, and R. H. Schmitt, “Effektive Analyse von Werkzeugmaschinenkalibierdaten: VoluSoft als Beispiel für die anwenderfreundliche Visualisierung und erweiterte Ana-lyse von Werkzeugmaschinenkalibrierdaten,” wt Werkstattstechnik online, (11/12):n.n, 2018.
-  ISO 230-1:2012, “Test code for machine tools – Part 1: Geometric accuracy of machines operating under no-load or quasi-static conditions,” 2017.
-  M. Ohlenforst, P. Dahlem, M. Peterek, and R. Schmitt, “Geometriemessungen auf Werkzeugmaschinen: Vorgehen zum Bestimmen und Minimieren der Messunsicherheit,” wt Werkstattstechnik online, Vol.106. Nos.11-12, pp. 782-786, 2016.
-  M. Givi and J. R. R. Mayer, “Volumetric error formulation and mismatch test for five-axis CNC machine compensation using differential kinematics and ephemeral G-code,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.77, Nos.9-12, pp. 1645-1653, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.