Effect of Tool Rake Angle and Crystal Orientation on Ductile Mode Cutting of Hard/Brittle Materials
Abdallah Abdelkawy*, Masahiko Yoshino**,, and Yuki Nakagawa**
Gamaa Street, Giza 12613, Egypt
**Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan
The effects of negative rake angles on the ductile mode cutting of soda glass and sapphire were studied. In addition, the machining mechanism was studied using a groove-cutting model based on the orthogonal cutting theory. It was found that the specific cutting forces in ductile mode cutting increase on both the soda glass specimen and on the sapphire specimen when the rake angle of the tool becomes negative. The difference between the experimental data and theoretical data of the specific cutting forces becomes large when the tool has a high rake angle on the negative side. This is attributed to effects of the roundness of the edge, the effects of the roundness of the nose, and the plowing mechanism, which causes plastic flow of the work material to both sides of the groove. The specific cutting force of sapphire depends on the cutting direction against the crystal orientation. The specific cutting force of sapphire depends on the cutting direction in terms of the crystal orientation. The anisotropy of the cutting force of sapphire also depends on the rake angle of the tool.
-  S. Y. Chou, P. R. Krauss, and P. J. Renstrom, “Imprint of sub-25 nm vias and trenches in polymers,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.67, No.21, pp. 3114-3116, 1995.
-  A. Kosiorek, W. Kandulski, H. Glaczynska, and M. Giersig, “Fabrication of nanoscale rings, dots, and rods by combining shadow nanosphere lithography and annealed polystyrene nanosphere masks,” Small, Vol.1, No.4, pp. 439-444, 2005.
-  C. K. Chung, R. X. Zhou, T. Y. Liu, and W. T. Chang, “Hybrid pulse anodization for the fabrication of porous anodic alumina films from commercial purity aluminum at room temperature,” Nanotechnology, Vol.20, 055301, 2009.
-  D. Dornfeld, S. Min, and Y. Takeuchi, “Recent Advances in Mechanical Micromachining,” CIRP Annals, Vol.55, No.2, pp. 745-768, 2006.
-  T. G. Bifano, T. A. Dow, and R. O. Scattergood, “Ductile-Regime Grinding?: A New Technology for Machining Brittle Materials,” J. Eng. Ind., Vol.113, No.2, pp. 184-189, 1991.
-  C. Jiang, J. Cheng, and T. Wu, “Theoretical model of brittle material removal fraction related to surface roughness and subsurface damage depth of optical glass during precision grinding,” Precision Engineering, Vol.49, pp. 421-427, 2017.
-  W. Wang, P. Yao, J. Wang, C. Huang, T. Kuriyagawa, H. Zhu, B. Zou, and H. Liu, “Elastic stress field model and micro-crack evolution for isotropic brittle materials during single grit scratching,” Ceramics Int., Vol.43, No.14, pp. 10726-10736, 2017.
-  R. F. King and D. Tabor, “The Strength Properties and Frictional Behaviour of Brittle Solids,” Proc. R. Soc. A Math. Phys. Eng. Sci., Vol.223, No.1153, pp. 225-238, 1954.
-  M. Yoshino, Y. Ogawa, and S. Aravindan, “Machining of Hard-Brittle Materials by a single point tool under High Hydrostatic Pressure,” J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.127, No.4, pp. 837-845, 2005.
-  A. Mir, X. Luo, K. Cheng, and A. Cox, “Investigation of influence of tool rake angle in single point diamond turning of silicon,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.94, pp. 2343-2355, 2018.
-  M. Z. Z. J. Yuan, W, B, Lee, and Y. X. Yao, “Effect of Crystallographic Orientation on Cutting Forces and Surface Quality in Diamond Cutting of Single Crystal,” CIRP Annals, Vol.43, No.1, pp. 39-42, 1994.
-  M. Demiral, A. Roy, T. El Sayed, and V. V. Silberschmidt, “Numerical modelling of micro-machining of f.c.c. single crystal: influence of strain gradients,” Computational Materials Science, Vol.94, pp. 273-278, 2014.
-  M. Yoshino, A. Sivanandam, Y. Kinouchi, and T. Matsumura, “Critical Depth of Hard Brittle Materials on Nano Plastic Forming,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 59-70, 2008.
-  M. Okada, H. Suzuki, C. Inukai, T. Suzuki, Y. Higashi, and S. Aoyagi, “Study for the polishing characteristic of alpha alumina – Examination for the crystal orientation dependence of polishing rate –,” Proc. of Spring Meeting of JSPE, pp. 221-222, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.