Grinding Energy Distributions and Wear Behaviors of Grain Cutting Edges in cBN Deep Grinding
Masakazu Fujimoto, Yuka Hiraizumi, Kazutaka Hirata, and Susumu Ohishi
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Aoyama Gakuin University
5-10-1 Fuchinobe, Chuo-ku, Sagamihara-shi, Kanagawa 252-5258, Japan
This paper deals with the grinding energy distributions in wheel-workpiece contact zone and the wear behaviors of grain cutting edges in cBN deep grinding. By measuring the tangential grinding force distribution in the grinding zone, the grinding energy distribution form could be approximated to be triangular. However, the grinding energy distribution forms changed a little occurring workpiece burn. The wear behaviors of the grain cutting edges were observed by a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) and quantitatively evaluated in terms of attritious wear flat percentage. It is shown that the variation of the grinding energy distributions has an effect on the cutting edge wear characteristics.
-  S. Malkin, “Current trends in CBN grinding technology,” CIRP Annals, Vol.34, No.2, pp. 557-563, 1985.
-  Sunarto and Y. Ichida, “Creep feed profile grinding of Ni-based superalloys with ultrafine-polycrystalline cBN abrasive grits,” Precision Engineering, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 274-283, 2001.
-  T. Tawakoli, “High Efficiency Deep Grinding,” pp. 13-14, VDI Verleg GmbH, 1990.
-  S. Shiozaki, Y. Furukawa, and S. Ohishi, “Difference in Grinding Mechanism between Up- and Down-Cut Creep Feed Grindings,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.45, No.533, pp. 599-606, 1979.
-  S. Ohishi, Y. Furukawa, and S. Shiozaki, “On the Selection of Grinding Conditions to Avoid Workpiece Burning in Creep Feed Grinding,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.46, No.4, pp. 402-409, 1980.
-  S. Malkin, “Grinding technology: theory and applications of machining with abrasives,” pp. 108-111, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 1989.
-  R. P. Upadhyaya and S. Malkin, “Thermal aspects of grinding with elctroplated CBN wheels,” J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.126, No.1, pp. 107-114, 2004.
-  S. Malkin and C. Guo, “Thermal Analysis of Grinding,” CIRP Annals, Vol.56, No.2, pp. 760-782, 2007.
-  Z. Shi, H. Attia, and M. Srinivasaraghavan, “Experimental Investigations of the Force Distributions in the Grinding Contact Zone,” Machining Science and Technology, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 372-384, 2009.
-  T. Fujiwara, S. Tsukamoto, T. Kuroe, and T. Nakajima, “Study on High Precision Contour Grinding (3rd Report) – Grinding Force Analysis for Deep Cut Grinding with Ball-End Grinding Wheel –,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.71, No.9, pp. 1125-1130, 2005.
-  C. Heinzel and G. Antsupov, “Prevention of wheel clogging in creep feed grinding by efficient tool cleaning,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, No.1, pp. 323-326, 2012.
-  A. Cameron, R. Bauer, and A. Warkentin, “An investigation of the effects of wheel-cleaning parameters in creep-feed grinding,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.50, No.1, pp. 126-130, 2010.
-  J. Shibata, I. Inasaki, and S. Yonetsu, “Characteristics of the Grinding Force and its Distribution at the Area of Contact Between the Grinding Wheel and the Workpiece – Study on High-Depth-of-Cut Grinding (1st Report) –,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.46, No.4, pp. 395-401, 1980.
-  A. D. Batako, W. B. Rowe, and M. N. Morgan, “Temperature measurement in high efficiency deep grinding,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.45, No.11, pp. 1231-1245, 2005.
-  M. Suzuki and I. Inasaki, “Surface Topography Measurement of Super Abrasive Wheels,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.61, No.585, pp. 2003-2009, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Wu, M. Nomura, H. Kanai, and M. Jin, “Surface Topography of Mini-Size Diamond Wheel in Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (UAG),” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.4, pp. 569-575, 2014.
-  S. Habu, Y. Ichida, H. Kajino, and M. Sato, “Wear Characteristics and Grinding Performance of Vitrified Diamond Grinding Wheels,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.54, No.3, pp. 157-163, 2010.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Ichida, and Y. Inoue, “Microscopic Wear Behavior of Grain Cutting Edges in cBN Grinding,” Proc. of the 5th Int. Conf. on Leading Edge Manufacturing in 21st Century (LEM 2009), pp. 541-546, 2009.
-  M. Fujimoto and S. Ohishi, “Wear behavior of cBN grain cutting edges in deep grinding,” Proc. of the 17th Int. Conf. on Precision Engineering, B-2-4, Kamakura, Japan, November 12-16, 2018.
-  L. Tian, Y. C. Fu, J. Xu, H. Li, and W. Ding, “The influence of speed on material removal mechanism in high speed grinding with single grit,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.89, pp. 192-201, 2015.
-  M. Fujimoto, S. Ohishi, R. Hinaga, and Y. Kubo, “Wheel Working Surface Topography and Grinding Force Distributions in Creep Feed Grinding,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.2, pp. 223-229, 2018.
-  I. Inasaki, “Performance Enhancement of Grinding Process – Mutual Interaction between the Material Removal Process and the Machine Tool,” JTEKT Engineering J., No.1004E, pp. 3-8, 2008.
-  M. Liu and J. Takagi, “Generation of Grain Cutting Edges of cBN Wheel in Truing Operation,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.38, No.1, pp. 45-50, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  M. Fujimoto and Y. ichida, “Micro fracture behavior of cutting edges in grinding using single crystal cBN grains,” Diamond and Related Materials, Vol.17, Nos.7-10, pp. 1759-1763, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.