Cutting Features Between Surface Roughness in Feed Direction and Machining State of Radius End Mill Against Inclined Surfaces (In Case of Contour Machining and Five-Axis Machining with Constant Tilt Angle)
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, Meijo University
1-501 Shiogamaguchi, Tenpaku, Nagoya, Aichi 468-8502, Japan
Optimum experimental conditions, that realize good surface roughness in feed direction, for a radius end mill against some inclined surfaces is obtained by the Taguchi method. Some cutting features due to the unique shape of the radius end mill are revealed via the degree of influence of various factors, which are calculated by the Taguchi method, and the geometric relationship of some contact states of the tool. The experimental conditions include cutting type, spindle speed, feed rate, depth of immersion, inclination angle, and corner radius. The results revealed that the contact states are highly significant, and can be categorized into three types. Furthermore, bottom and corner edges must be contacted simultaneously in order to obtain good surface roughness.
-  K. Uemura, H. Kayano, H. Fujikawa, and K. Anraku, “Trial of Machining Process Reduction for Pross Mold,” Die and Mould Technology, Vol.32, No.3, pp. 62-65, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  H. Narita, “A Determination Method of Cutting Coefficients in Ball End Milling Forces Model,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.1, pp. 39-44, 2013.
-  H. Narita, K. Shirase, E. Arai, and H. Fujimoto, “Trial Surface-Property Prediction in End-Mill Operation,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.3, pp. 229-234, 2010.
-  H. Narita, K. Shirase, E. Arai, and H. Fujimoto, “An Accuracy-Prediction Model Taking Tool Deformation and Geometric Machine-Tool Error into Consideration,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.3, pp. 235-242, 2010.
-  G. Yücesan and Y. Altintas, “Prediction of Ball End Milling Forces, Journal of Engineering for Industry,” Trans. of ASME, Vol.118, No.1, pp. 95-103, 1996.
-  T. Matsumura, Y. Miyahara, and T. Ono, “Dynamic Characteristics in The Cutting Operations With Small Diameter End Mills,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 609-618, 2008.
-  T. Sekine, T. Obikawa, and M. Hoshino, “Establishing a Novel Model for 5-Axis Milling with a Filleted End Mill,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 296-309, 2012.
-  T. Sekine, “Characterization of path interval formula in multi-axis filleted end milling,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.59, No.5, pp. 255-259, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  T. Sekine, “A 3D Geometrical Consideration of Path Interval in Filleted End Milling,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.60, No.9, pp. 515-519, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  T. Masuda and K. Morishige, “Tool Path Generation by Using Configuration Space for Five-Axis Controlled Machining – Application to Machining by Using Square and Radius End Mill –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.78, No.1, pp. 57-61, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  H, Nakai, Y. Iida, T. Sawa, and M. Anzai, “Study on Highly Efficient Machining by Small-Diameter Radius End Mill – Cutting Efficiency of Face Cutting and Side Cutting in High Speed Milling –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.85, No.4, 2019 (in Japanese).
-  S. Ali Abbasi and P. F. Feng, “Evaluating the Effect of PCD End Mill’s Nose Radius on Machinability of Titanium Alloy Ti-6Al-4V in High Speed Milling,” Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vols.713-715, pp. 217-222, 2015.
-  H. Iwabe, K. Kikuchi, and K. Shirai, “Analysis of theoretical roughness of radius end milling (Geometrical analysis in case of contouring and scanning method and experiments),” Trans. of the JSME, Vol.81, No.832, pp. 365-373, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  H. Iwabe, M. Futakawa, M. Fujiwara, T. Fujita, and K. Kikuchi, “Study on Performance of Radius End Milling Titanium Alloy (Analysis of Cutting Cross-Sectional Area Using 3D-CAD and Experiments of Inclined Surface with Contouring),” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.3, pp. 270-277, 2013.
-  H. Narita, “Surface Roughness and Features Analysis of Filleted End Mills for Contour Machining against Inclined Machining Faces,” Proc. of Manufacturing Systems Divisions 2019, pp. 53-54, 2019 (in Japanese).
-  G. S. Peace, “Taguchi methods: a hands-on approach Reading,” Addison-Wesley, 1993.
-  K. Tatebayashi, “An introduction of Taguchi method,” Union of Japanese Scientists and Engineers, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  P. Goos and B. Jones, “Optimal Design of Experiments: A Case Study Approach,” Wiley, 2011.
-  T. Suzuki, “General Remarks of Modern Quality Management,” Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  Trimble Inc., SketchUp Make. https://www.sketchup.com/ja/download/make [Accessed on June 20, 2019]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.