Machining Process for a Thin-Walled Workpiece Using On-Machine Measurement of the Workpiece Compliance
Takuma Umezu and Daisuke Kono
Department of Micro Engineering, Kyoto University
Kyotodaigaku-Katsura, Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto 615-8540, Japan
Demand for highly productive machining of thin-walled workpieces has been growing in the aerospace industry. Workpiece vibration is a critical issue that could limit the productivity of such machining processes. This study proposes a machining process for thin-walled workpieces that aims to reduce the workpiece vibration during the machining process. The workpiece compliance is measured using an on-machine measurement system to obtain the cutting conditions and utilize the same for suppressing the vibration. The on-machine measurement system consists of a shaker with a force sensor attached on the machine tool spindle, and an excitation control system which is incorporated within the machine tool’s numerical control (NC). A separate sensor to obtain the workpiece displacement is not required for the estimation of the displacement. The system is also capable of automatic measurement at various measurement points because the NC controls the positioning and the preloading of the shaker. The amplitude of the workpiece vibration is simulated using the measured compliance to obtain the cutting conditions for suppressing the vibration. An end milling experiment was conducted to verify the validity of the proposed process. The simulations with the compliance measurement using the developed system were compared to the results of a conventional impact test. The comparison showed that the spindle rotation speed for suppressing the vibration could be successfully determined; but, the axial depth of cut was difficult to be determined because the simulated vibration amplitude was larger than that found in the experimental result. However, this can be achieved if the amplitude is calibrated by one machining trial.
-  Z. L. Li, O. Tuysuz, L. M. Zhu, and Y. Altintas, “Surface form error prediction in five-axis flank milling of thin-walled parts,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.128, pp. 21-32, 2018.
-  Y. Altintas, O. Tuysuz, M. Habibi, and Z. L. Li, “Virtual compensation of deflection errors in ball end milling of flexible blades,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.67, pp. 365-368, 2018.
-  E. Brinksmeier, C. Heinzel, M. Garbrecht, J. Sölter, and G. Reucher, “Residual Stresses in High Speed Turning of Thin-Walled Cylindrical Workpieces,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.3, pp. 313-319, 2011.
-  S. Seguy, G. Dessein, and L. Arnaud, “Surface roughness variation of thin wall milling, related to modal interactions,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.48, pp. 261-274, 2008.
-  A. Susanto, C. Liu, K. Yamada, Y. Hwang, R. Tanaka, and K. Sekiya, “Milling Process Monitoring Based on Vibration Analysis Using Hilbert-Huang Transform,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.5, pp. 688-698, 2018.
-  J. Feng, M. Wan, T. Q. Gao, and W. H. Zhang, “Mechanism of process damping in milling of thin-walled workpiece,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.134, pp. 1-19, 2018.
-  J. Ma, D. Zhang, B. Wu, M. Luo, and Y. Liu, “Stability improvement and vibration suppression of the thin-walled workpiece in milling process via magnetorheological fluid flexible fixture,” Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.88, pp. 1231-1242, 2017.
-  K. Kolluru, D. Axinte, and A. Becker, “A solution for minimising vibrations in milling of thin walled casings by applying dampers to workpiece surface,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.62, pp. 415-418, 2013.
-  K. Kolluru and D. Axinte, “Novel ancillary device for minimizing machining vibrations in thin wall assemblies,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.85, pp. 79-86, 2014.
-  A. Saito, S. Kato, and M. Nagao, “Supporting Method for Thin Parts Having Curved Surfaces – Improvement of End Milling Accuracy by Using Low-Melting Point Alloy and Elastomer Support –,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.13, No.1, pp. 92-100, 2019.
-  E. Ozturk, A. Barrios, C. Sun, S. Rajabi, and J. Munoa, “Robotic assisted milling for increased productivity,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.67, pp. 427-430, 2018.
-  X. Zhou, D. Zhang, M. Luo, and B. Wu, “Toolpath dependent chatter suppression in multi-axis milling of hollow fan blades with ball-end cutter,” Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.72, pp. 643-651, 2014.
-  J. Wang, S. Ibaraki, A. Matsubara, K. Shida, and T. Yamada, “FEM-Based Simulation for Workpiece Deformation in Thin-Wall Milling,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.2, pp. 122-128, 2015.
-  H. Iwabe, H. Matsuhashi, H. Akutsu, T. Shioya, and H. Takao, “High-Accuracy Machining of Thin-Walled Workpiece by Non-Rotational Tool-Analysis of Machining Accuracy Based on Deflection of Tool and Workpiece Using FEM,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.3, pp. 243-251, 2010.
-  K. Teramoto, “On-Machine Estimation of Workpiece Deformation for Thin-Structured Parts Machining,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.6, pp. 978-983, 2017.
-  X. J. Wan, Y. Zhang, and X. D. Huang, “Investigation of influence of fixture layout on dynamic response of thin-wall multi-framed work-piece in machining,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.75, pp. 87-99, 2013.
-  Y. Sun and S. Jiang, “Predictive modeling of chatter stability considering force-induced deformation effect in milling thin-walled parts,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.135, pp. 38-52, 2018.
-  Y. Yang, W. H. Zhang, Y. C. Ma, and M. Wan, “Chatter prediction f or the peripheral milling of thin-walled workpieces with curved surfaces,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.109, pp. 36-48, 2016.
-  K. Yamada, H. Matsuhisa, H. Utsuno, and K. Sawada, “Optimum tuning of series and parallel LR circuits for passive vibration suppression using piezoelectric elements,” J. of Sound and Vibration, Vol.329, No.24, pp. 5036-5057, 2010.
-  Y. Altintas, “Manufacturing Automation: Principles of Metal Cutting and machine Tool Vibrations,” Cambridge University Press, 2000.