Associating 2D Sketch Information with 3D CAD Models for VR/AR Viewing During Bridge Maintenance Process
Fumiki Tanaka*,, Makoto Tsuchida**, and Masahiko Onosato*
*Faculty of Information Science and Technology, Hokkaido University
Kita 14, Nishi 9, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 080-0814, Japan
**Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and mixed reality technologies are utilized at various stages of product lifecycle. For products with long lifecycles such as bridges and dams, the maintenance and inspection stages are very important to keep the product safe and well-functioning. One of the advantages of VR/AR is the ability to add important information such as past inspection data. Past inspection information is summarized in a document consisting of the 2D sketches of bridge degradation drawings. However, this degradation sketch is in 2D, and it has no correspondence with the 3D world. In this study, we propose a method to associate important information of 2D sketches with a 3D industry foundation classes (IFC) model, which is a standardized computer aided design model. To display a VR image of a bridge during the inspection process, the proposed method is applied to the 3D IFC model of the bridge and 2D degradation sketch of the inspection report.
-  R. Chang and J. Jau, “Augmented Reality in Peg-in-Hole Microassembly Operations,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 438-446, 2016.
-  D. Misaki, R. Kurokawa, S. Nakajima, and S. Koshimizu, “Use of AR / VR in Micro Manipulation Support System for Recognition of Monocular Microscopic Images,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.6, pp. 866-874, 2011.
-  L. Berg and J. Vance, “Industry use of virtual reality in product design and manufacturing: a survey,” Virtual Reality, Vol.21, Issue 1, pp. 1-17, 2017.
-  A. García, I. Bobadilla, G. Figueroa, and M. Ramírez, “Virtual reality training system for maintenance and operation of high-voltage overhead power lines,” Virtual Reality, Vol.20, Issue 1, pp. 27-40, 2016.
-  S. Borsci, G. Lawson, and S. Broome, “Empirical evidence, evaluation criteria and challenges for the effectiveness of virtual and mixed reality tools for training operators of car service maintenance,” Computers in Industry, Vol.67, pp. 17-26, 2015.
-  S. Choi, K. Jung, and S. Noh, “Virtual reality applications in manufacturing industries. Past research, present findings, and future directions,” Concurrent Engineering, Vol.23, Issue 1, pp. 40-63, 2014.
-  T. Engelke, J. Keil, P. Rojtberg, F. Wientappe, M. Schmitt, and U. Bockholt, “Content first: a concept for industrial augmented reality maintenance applications using mobile devices,” Proc. of the 6th ACM Multimedia Systems Conf., pp. 105-111, 2014.
-  C. Linn, S. Bender, J. Prosser, K. Schmitt, and D. Wert, “Virtual remote inspection – A new concept for virtual reality enhanced real-time maintenance,” Proc. of 2017 23rd Int. Conf. on Virtual System & Multimedia (VSMM), pp. 1-6, 2017.
-  M. Salamak and M. Januszka, “BIM models and augmented reality for concrete bridge inspections,” Proc. of 11th CCC Congress, pp. 25-28, 2015.
-  R. Sacks, A. Kedar, A. Borrmann, L. Ma, I. Brilakis, P. Hüthwohl, S. Daum, U. Kattel, R. Yosef, T. Liebich, B. Barutcu, and S. Muhic, “SeeBridge as next generation bridge inspection: Overview, Information Delivery Manual and Model View Definition,” Automation in Construction, Vol.90, pp. 134-145, 2018.
-  F. Tanaka, M. Hori, M. Onosato, H. Date, and S. Kanai, “Bridge Information Model Base on IFC Standards ad Web Content Providing System for Supporting an Inspection Process,” Proc. of the 16th Int. Conf. on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering, pp. 1140-1147, 2016.
-  ISO 16739-1:2018, “Industry Foundation Classes (IFC) for data sharing in the construction and facility management industries – Part 1: Data schema,” 2018.
-  Y. Hada, M. Nakao, M. Yamada, H. Kobayashi, N. Sawasaki, K. Yokoji, S. Kanai, F. Tanaka, H. Date, S. Pathak, A. Yamashita, M. Yamada, and T. Sugawara, “Development of a Bridge Inspection Support System Using Two-Wheeled Multicopter and 3D Modeling Technology,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.12, No.3, pp. 593-606, 2017.
-  M. Shirato, J. Hoshikuma, T. Tamakoshi, H. Kono, Y. Yokoi, and Y. Matsumura, “Statistial data on the deterioration of road bridges based on the segmental damage extent recording in brdge inspections,” Technical Note of National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management, No.985, 2017 (in Japanese). http://www.nilim.go.jp/lab/bcg/siryou/tnn/tnn0985pdf/ks0985.pdf [Accessed May 7, 2019]
-  K. Liu and N. El-Gohary, “Ontology-based semi-supervised conditional random fields for automated information extraction from bridge inspection reports,” Automation in Construction, Vol.81, pp. 313-327, 2017.
-  M. Idesawa, “System for the three views of a three-dimensional form,” Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.38, No.310, pp. 1267-1276, 1972.
-  R. Gioi, J. Jakubowicz, J. Morel, and G. Randall, “LSD: a Line Segment Detector,” Image Processing On Line, Vol.2, pp. 35-55, 2012.
-  Google Cloud Vision API. https://cloud.google.com/vision/docs/ [Accessed May 7, 2019]
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “Bridge Periodic Inspection Manual,” 2014 (in Japanese). http://www.mlit.go.jp/road/sisaku/yobohozen/tenken/yobo3_1_6.pdf [Accessed May 7, 2019]
-  IFC Engine DLL. http://rdf.bg/product-list/ifc-engine/ [Accessed May 7, 2019]