Review of Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing for 3D Metal Printing
Johnnie Liew Zhong Li*, Mohd Rizal Alkahari*,**,, Nor Ana Binti Rosli*, Rafidah Hasan*,**, Mohd Nizam Sudin*, and Faiz Redza Ramli*,**
*Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka
Hang Tuah Jaya, Durian Tunggal, Melaka 76100, Malaysia
**Center of Advanced Research on Energy, Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka, Melaka, Malaysia
Wire arc additive manufacturing (WAAM) is a crucial technique in the fabrication of 3D metallic structures. It is increasingly being used worldwide to reduce costs and time. Generally, AM technology is used to overcome the limitations of traditional subtractive manufacturing (SM) for fabricating large-scale components with lower buy-to-fly ratios. There are three heat sources commonly used in WAAM: metal inert gas welding (MIG), tungsten inert gas welding (TIG), and plasma arc welding (PAW). MIG is easier and more convenient than TIG and PAW because it uses a continuous wire spool with the welding torch. Unlike MIG, tungsten inert gas welding (TIG) and plasma arc welding (PAW) need an external wire feed machine to supply the additive materials. WAAM is gaining popularity in the fabrication of 3D metal components, but the process is hard to control due to its inherent residual stress and distortion, which are generated by the high thermal input from its heat sources. Distortion and residual stress are always a challenge for WAAM because they can affect the component’s geometric accuracy and drastically degrade the mechanical properties of the components. In this paper, wire-based and wire arc technology processes for 3D metal printing, including their advantages and limitations are reviewed. The optimization parametric study and modification of WAAM to reduce both residual stress and distortion are tabulated, summarized, and discussed.
-  J. G. Zhou and Z. Y. He, “A new rapid tooling technique and its special binder study,” Rapid Prototyping J., Vol.5, Issue 2, pp. 82-88, 1999.
-  S. N. A. Majid, M. R. Alkahari, F. R. Ramli, S. Maidin, T. C. Fai, and M. N. Sudin, “Influence of Integrated Pressing during Fused Filament Fabrication on Tensile Strength and Porosity,” J. of Mechanical Engineering, Vol.2, pp. 185-195, 2017.
-  V. Sharma and S. Singh, “Rapid Prototyping: Process Advantage, Comparison and Application,” Int. J. of Computational Intelligence Research, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 55-61, 2016.
-  D. Nimawat and M. Meghvanshi, “Using Rapid Prototyping Technology in Mechanical Scale Models,” Int. J. of Engineering Research and Applications, Vol.2, Issue 2, pp. 215-219, 2012.
-  M. A. Nazan, F. R. Ramli, M. R. Alkahari, M. N. Sudin, and M. A. Abdullah, “Optimization of warping deformation in open source 3D printer using response surface method,” Proc. of Mechanical Engineering Research Day, pp. 71-72, 2016.
-  M. R. Alkahari, T. Furumoto, T. Ueda, and A. Hosokawa, “Melt Pool and Single Track Formation in Selective Laser Sintering/Selective Laser Melting,” Advanced Materials Research, Vol.933, pp. 196-201, 2014.
-  H. A. Habeeb, M. R. Alkahari, F. R. Ramli, R. Hasan, and S. Maidin, “Strength and porosity of additively manufactured PLA using a low cost 3D printing,” Proc. of Mechanical Engineering Research Day, pp. 69-70, 2016.
-  S. N. H. Mazlan, M. R Alkahari, F. R. Ramli, M. N. Sudin, N. A Maidin, and K. S. Oii, “Manufacturability of Mechanical Structure Fabricated using Entry Level 3D Printer,” J. of Mechanical Engineering, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 98-122, 2018.
-  Vader, “Vadersystems.” https://vadersystems.com/ [Accessed September 20, 2018].
-  T. Abe and H. Sasahara, “Dissimilar metal deposition with a stainless steel and nickel-based alloy using wire and arc-based additive manufacturing,” Precision Engineering, Vol.45, pp. 387-395, 2016.
-  M. A. Nazan, F. R. Ramli, M. R. Alkahari, M. N. Sudin, and M. A. Abdullah, “Process Parameter Optimization of 3D Printer using Response Surface Method,” ARPN J. of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol.12, No.7, pp. 2291-2296, 2017.
-  O. Yilmaz and A. A. Ugla, “Shaped metal deposition technique in additive manufacturing technology: A review,” Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: J. of Engineering Manufacture, Vol.230, Issue 10, pp. 1781-1798, 2016.
-  W. Chen, T. Yang, and R. Yang, “3D model of filler melting with micro-beam plasma arc based on additive manufacturing technology,” Int. J. of Modern Physics B, Vol.31, Issues 16-19, p. 1744016, 2017.
-  I. Tabernero, A. Paskual, P. Alvarez, and A. Suarez, “Study on Arc Welding processes for High Deposition Rate Additive Manufacturing,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.68, pp. 358-362, 2018.
-  B. A. Szost, S. Terzi, F. Martina, D. Boisselier, A. Pytuliak, T. Pirling, M. Hofmann, and D. J. Jarvis, “A comparative study of additive manufacturing tecniques: residual stress and microstructure analysis of CLAD and WAAM printed Ti-6Al-4V components,” Materials & Design, Vol.89, pp. 559-567, 2016.
-  J. Xiong, Y. Y. Lei, H. Chen, and G. J. Zhang, “Fabrication of inclined thin-walled parts in multi-layer-single-pass GMAW-based additive manufacturing with a flat position deposition,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.240, pp. 397-403, 2017.
-  S. Rios, P. A. Colegrove, F. Martina, and S. W. Williams, “Analytical process model for wire + arc additive manufacturing,” Additive Manufacturing, Vol.21, pp. 651-657, 2018.
-  D. H. Ding, Z. X. Pan, D. Cuiuri, and H. J. Li, “Wire-feed additive manufacturing of metal components: technologies, developments and future interests,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.81, Issues 1-4, pp. 465-481, 2015.
-  F. Martina and J. Ding, “Wire + arc additive manufacturing,” Materials Science and Technology, Vol.1, pp. 1377-1386, 2015.
-  W. Aiyiti, W. H. Zhao, B. H. Lu, and Y. P. Tang, “Investigation of the overlapping parameters of MPAW-based rapid prototyping,” Rapid Prototyping J., Vol.12, Issue 3, pp. 165-172, 2006.
-  C. S. Wu, L. Wang, and W. J. Ren, “Plasma Arc Welding: Process, Sensing, Control and Modeling,” J. of Manufacturing Processes, Vol.16, pp. 74-85, 2014.
-  M. S. Sawant and N. K. Jain, “Characteristics of Single-Track and Multi-track Depositions of Stellite by Micro-plasma Transferred Arc Powder Deposition Process,” J. of Materials Engineering and Performance, Vol.26, Issue 8, pp. 4029-4039, 2017.
-  B. Cong, J. Ding, and S. Williams, “Effect of arc mode in cold metal transfer process on porosity of additively manufactured Al-6.3%Cu alloy,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.76, Issues 9-12, pp. 1593-1606, 2015.
-  J. Mehnen, J. Ding, H. Lockett, and P. Kazanas, “Design for Wire and Arc Additive Layer Manufacture,” Proc. of the 20th CIRP Design Conf., 2010.
-  N. A. Rosli, M. R. Alkahari, F. R. Ramli, S. Maidin, M. N. Sudin, S. Subramoniam, and T. Furumoto, “Design and development of a low-cost 3D metal printer,” J. of Mechanical Engineering Research and Development (JMERD), Vol.41, No.3, pp. 47-54, 2018.
-  P. Kazanas, P. Deherkar, P. Almeida, H. Lockett, and S. Williams, “Fabrication of geometrical features using wire and arc additive manufacture,” Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: J. of Engineering Manufacture, pp. 1042-1051, 2012.
-  P. A. Colegrove, H. E. Coules, J. Fairman, F. Martina, T. Kashoob, H. Mamash, and L. D. Cozzolino, “Microstructure and residual stress improvement in wire and arc additively manufactured parts through high-pressure rolling,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.213, Issue 10, pp. 1782-1791, 2013.
-  J. Donoghue, A. A. Antonysamy, F. Martina, P. A. Colegrove, S. W. Williams, and P. B. Prangnell, “The Effectiveness of Combining Rolling Deformation with Wire-Arc Additive Manufacture on β-Grain Refinement and Texture Modification in Ti-6Al-4V,” Materials Characterization, Vol.114, pp. 103-114, 2016.
-  P. A. Colegrove, J. Donoghue, F. Martina, J. L. Gu, P. Prangnell, and J. Honnige, “Application of bulk deformation methods for microstructural and material property improvement and residual stress and distortion control in additively manufactured components,” Scripta Materialia, Vol.135, pp. 111-118, 2017.
-  J. R. Honnige, P. A. Colegrove, B. Ahmad, M. E. Fitzpatrick, S. Ganguly, T. L. Lee, and S. W. Williams, “Residual stress and texture control in Ti-6Al-4V wire + arc additively manufactured intersections by stress relief and rolling,” Materials & Design, Vol.150, pp. 193-205, 2018.
-  A. R. McAndrew, M. A. Rosales, P. A. Colegrove, J. R. Honnige, A. Ho, R. Fayolle, K. Eyitayo, L. Stan, P. Sukrongpang, A. Crochemore, and Z. Pinter, “Interpass rolling of Ti-6Al-4V wire + arc additively manufactured features for microstructural refinement,” Additive Manufacturing, Vol.21, pp. 340-349, 2018.
-  D. H. Ding, Z. X. Pan, D. Cuiuri, and H. J. Li, “A tool-path generation strategy for wire and arc additive manufacturing,” Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.73, pp. 173-183, 2014.
-  D. H. Ding, Z. X. Pan, D. Cuiuri, H. J. Li, and N. Larkin, “Adaptive path planning for wire-feed additive manufacturing using medial axis transformation,” J. of Clenaer Production, Vol.133, pp. 942-952, 2016.
-  G. Venturini, F. Montevecchi, A. Scippa, and G. Campatelli, “Optimization of WAAM deposition patterns for T-crossing features,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.55, pp. 95-100, 2016.
-  S. Kapil, F. Legesse, P. Kulkarni, P. Joshi, A. Desai, and K. P. Karunakaran, “Hybrid-layered manufacturing using tungsten inert gas cladding,” Progress in Additive Manufacturing, Vol.1, Issues 1-2, pp. 79-91, 2016.
-  Y. Liang, S. S. Hu, J. Q. Shen, S. Zhang, and P. Wang, “Geometrical and microstructural characteristics of the TIG-CMT hybrid welding in 6061 aluminium alloy cladding,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.239, pp. 18-30, 2017.
-  J. L. Prado-Cerqueira, J. L. Dieguez, and A. M. Camacho, “Preliminary development of a wire and arc additive manufacturing system (WAAM),” Procedia Manufacturing, Vol.13, pp. 895-902, 2017.
-  Y. H. Feng, B. Zhan, J. He, and K. H. Wang, “The double-wire feed and plasma arc additive manufacturing process for deposition in Cr-Ni stainless steel,” J. of Materials Processing Tech, Vol.259, pp. 206-215, 2018.
-  T. Tateno, A. Kakuta, H. Ogo, and T. Kimoto, “Ultrasonic Vibration-Assisted Extrusion of Metal Powder Suspension for Additive Manufacturing,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.5, pp. 775-783, 2018.
-  K. P. Karanukaran, S. Suryakumar, V. Pushpa, and S. Akula, “Low cost integration of additive and subtractive processes for hybrid layered manufacturing,” Robotic and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.26, Issue 5, pp. 490-499, 2010.
-  M. A. Somashekara and S. Suryakumar, “Studies on Dissimilar Twin-Wire Weld-Deposition for Additive Manufacturing Applications,” Trans. of the Indian Institute Metals, Vol.70, Issue 8, pp. 2123-2135, 2017.
-  Z. W. Qi, B. Q. Cong, B. J. Qi, H. Y. Sun, G. Zhao, and J. L. Ding, “Microstructure and mechanical properties of double-wire + arc additively manufactured AlCu-Mg alloys,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.255, pp. 347-353, 2018.
-  D. Q. Yang, G. Wang, and G. J. Zhang, “A comparative study of GMAW- and DE-GMAW-based additive manufacturing techniques: thermal behavior of the deposition process for thin-walled parts,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.91, Issues 5-8, pp. 2175-2184, 2017.
-  C. Shen, Z. X. Pan, D. Cuiuri, B. S. Dong, and H. J. Li, “In-depth study of the mechanical properties for Fe3Al based iron aluminide fabricated using the wire-arc additive manufacturing process,” Material Science & Engineering A, Vol.669, pp. 118-126, 2016.
-  Y. Y. Nilsiam, P. Sanders, and J. M. Pearce, “Slicer and Process Improvements for Opensource GMAWbased Metal 3D Printing,” Additive Manufacturing, Vol.18, pp. 110-120, 2017.
-  M. J. Bermingham, L. J. Thomson, S. D. H. John, and M. S. Dargusch, “Sensitivity of Ti-6Al-4V components to oxidation during out of chamber Wire + Arc Additive Manufacturing,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.258, pp. 29-37, 2018.
-  Y. Nilsiam, P. G. Sanders, and J. M. Pearce, “Applications of Open Source GMAW-Based Metal 3-D Printing,” J. of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, Vol.2, No.1, p. 18, 2018.
-  D. Clark, M. R. Bache, and M. T. Whittaker, “Shaped metal deposition of nickel alloy for aero engine application,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.203, pp. 439-448, 2008.
-  B. Baufeld, V. B. Omer, and R. Gault, “Microstructure of Ti-6Al-4V specimens produced by shaped metal deposition,” Int. J. of Materials Research, Vol.100, Issue 11, pp. 1536-1542, 2009.
-  J. F. Wang, Q. J. Sun, H. Wang, J. P. Liu, and J. C. Feng, “Effect of location on microstrucure and mechanical properties of additive layer manufactured Inconel 625 using gas tungsten arc welding,” Materials Science & Engineering A, Vol.676, pp. 395-405, 2016.
-  B. Baufeld, E. Brandl, and V. D. B. Omer, “Wire based additive layer manufacturing: Comparison of microstructure and mechanical properties of Ti-6Al-4V components fabricated by laser-beam deposition and shaped metal deposition,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.211, Issue 6, pp. 1146-1158, 2011.
-  E. Brandl, B. Baufeld, C. Leyens, and R. Gault, “Additive manufactured Ti-6Al-4V using welidng wire: comparison of laser and arc beam deposition and evaluation with respect to aerospace material specifications,” Physics Procedia, Vol.5, Part B, pp. 595-606, 2010.
-  F. Bonaccorso, L. Cantelli, and G. Muscato, “Arc Welding Control for Shaped Metal Deposition Process,” IFAC Proc., Vol.44, Issue 1, pp. 11636-11641, 2011.
-  F. Martina, J. Mehnen, S. W. Williams, P. Colegrove, and F. Wang, “Investigation of the benefit of plasma deposition for the additive layer manufacture of Ti-6Al-4V,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.212, Issue 6, pp. 1377-1386, 2012.
-  F. J. Xu, Y. H. Lv, B. S. Xu, Y. X. Liu, F. Y. Shu, and P. He, “Effect of deposition strategy on the microstructure and mechanical properties of Inconel 625 superalloy fabricated by pulsed plasma arc deposition,” Materials & Design, Vol.45, pp. 446-455, 2013.
-  S. Jhavar, N. K. Jain, and C. P. Paul, “Developement of micro-plasma transferred arc (μ-PTA) wire deposition process for additive manufacturing applications,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.214, No.5, pp. 1102-1110, 2014.
-  J. Xiong, G. J. Zhang, and W. H. Zhang, “Forming appearance analysis in multi-layer single-pass GMAW-based additive manufacturing,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.80, Issues 9-12, pp. 1767-1776, 2015.
-  J. Xiong and G. J. Zhang, “Adaptive control of deposited height in GMAW-based layer additive manufacturing,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.214, Issue 4, pp. 962-968, 2014.
-  B. Q. Cong, Z. W. Qi, B. J. Qi, H. Y. Sun, G. Zhao, and J. L. Ding, “A Comparative Study of Additively Manufactured Thin Wall and Block Structure with Al-6.3%Cu Alloy Using Cold Metal Transfer Process,” Applied Sciences, Vol.7, p. 275, 2017.
-  Y. Ma, D. Cuiuri, C. Shen, H. J. Li, and Z. X. Pan, “Effect of interpass temperature on in-situ alloying and additive manufacturing of titanium aluminides using gas tungsten arc welding,” Additive Manufacturing, Vol.8, pp. 71-77, 2015.
-  J. J. Lin, Y. H. Lv, Y. X. Liu, Z. Sun, K. B. Wang, Z. G. Li, Y. X. Wu, and B. S. Xu, “Microstructural evolution and mechanical property of Ti-6Al-4V wall deposited by continuous plasma arc additive manufacturing without post heat treatment,” J. of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, Vol.69, pp. 19-29, 2017.
-  J. K. Zhang, X. Y. Wang, S. Paddea, and X. Zhang, “Fatigue crack propagation behaviour in wire + arc additive manufactured Ti-6Al-4V: Effects of microstructure and residual stress,” Materials & Design, Vol.90, pp. 551-561, 2016.
-  D. Radaj, “Heat effects of welding,” Springer-Verlag, 1992.
-  G. Vastola, G. Zhang, Q. X. Pei, and Y. W. Zhang, “Controlling of residual stress in additive manufacturing of Ti6Al4V by finite element modeling,” Additive Manufacturing, Vol.12, Part B, pp. 231-239, 2016.
-  T. Mukherjee, W. Zhang, and T. DebRoy, “An improved prediction of residual stresses and distortion in additive manufacturing,” Computational Materials Science, Vol.126, pp. 360-372, 2017.
-  D. H. Ding, Z. X. Pan, D. Cuiuri, and H. J. Li, “A multi-bead overlapping model for robotic wire and arc additive manufacturing (WAAM),” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.31, pp. 101-110, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.