Development of Press Molding Preform Design and Fabrication Method with Unfolded Diagram for CFRP
Tatsuki Ikari and Hidetake Tanaka
Faculty of Science and Technology, Sophia University
7-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8554, Japan
In this study, a novel design and fabrication method that corresponds to simple and optimized press molding for carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP) is proposed based on CAD data. Specifically, in recent years, CFRP has been widely used for weight reduction of transportation equipment. However, optimization of the production process is required to expand the range of applications of CFRP. To satisfy the aforementioned requirements, this study focused on the press molding technique. It was assumed that partial excessive or partial breakage of the fiber occurs due to the drawing of the fiber by the deformation force. A design and fabrication method was proposed for CFRP preform that exhibits the unfolded diagram shape of an objective three-dimensional (3D) model by using a tow prepreg as a solution for the aforementioned problems. A calculation method to generate the unfolded diagram was also proposed. Furthermore, the validity of the unfolded diagram was confirmed by reproducing the diagram for a 3D shape.
-  C. Soutis, “Carbon fiber reinforced plastics in aircraft construction,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A, Vol.412, pp. 171-176, 2005.
-  M. Hou, “Stamp forming of continuous glass fibre reinforced polypropylene,” Compos. Part A Appl. Sci. Manuf., Vol.28, pp. 695-702, 1997.
-  S. Isogawa, H. Aoki, and M. Tajima, “Isothermal Forming of CFRTP Sheet by Penetration of Hemispherical Punch,” Procedia Eng., Vol.81, pp. 1620-1626, 2014.
-  T. C. Lim and S. Ramakrishna, “Modelling of composite sheet forming: a review,” Compos. Part A Appl. Sci. Manuf., Vol.33, pp. 515-537, 2002.
-  K. C. Wu, B. F. Tatting, B. H. Smith, R. S. Stevens, G. P. Occhipinti, J. B. Swift, D. C. Achary, and R. P. Thornburgh, “Design and Manufacturing of Tow-Steered Composite Shells Using Fiber Placement,” 50th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dyn., and Mater. Conf., 2009.
-  B. K. Stanford, C. V. Jutte, and K. C. Wu, “Aeroelastic benefits of tow steering for composite plates,” Compos. Struct., Vol.118, pp. 416-422, 2014.
-  B. C. Kim, K. Potter, and P. M. Weaver, “Continuous tow shearing for manufacturing variable angle tow composites,” Compos. Part A Appl. Sci. Manuf., Vol.43, pp. 1347-1356, 2012.
-  B. C. Kim, P. M. Weaver, and K. Potter, “Manufacturing characteristics of the continuous tow shearing method for manufacturing of variable angle tow composites,” Compos. Part A Appl. Sci. Manuf., Vol.61, pp. 141-151, 2014.
-  K. Oka, T. Ikeda, A. Senba, and T. Ueda, “Design of CFRP with fibers placed by using an embroidery machine,” 18th Int. Conf. on Conpos. Mater., M32-2, 2011.
-  T. Yoneyama, D. Tatsuno, K. Kawamoto, and M. Okamoto, “Effect of Press Slide Speed and Stroke on Cup Forming Using a Plain-Woven Carbon Fiber Thermoplastic Composite Sheet,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 381-391, 2014.
-  M. Takezawa, T. Imai, K. Shida, and T. Maekawa, “Fabrication of freeform objects by principal strips,” ACM Trans. Graphics, Vol.36, No.6, Article No.225, 2016.
-  P. Cignoni, C. Rocchini, and R. Scopigno, “Metro: Measuring Error on Simplified Surfaces,” Comput. Graph. Forum, Vol.17, 2003.
-  J. Mitani and S. Hiromasa, “Making Papercraft Toys from Meshes using Strip-based Approximate Unfolding,” ACM Trans. Graph., Vol.23, No.3, pp. 259-263, 2004.
-  J. Mitani, “Strip creation for designing curved papercraft models adopting mesh subdivision scheme,” NICOGRAPH Int., 2006.
-  F. Massarwi, C. Gotsman, and G. Elber, “Papercraft Models using Generalized Cylinders,” Comput. Graph. and Appl. 15th Pacific Conf., 2007.
-  B. Lévy, S. Petitjean, N. Ray, and J. Maillot, “Least squares conformal maps for automatic texture atlas generation,” SIGGRAPH ’02 Proc. of the 29th Annu. Conf. on Comput. Graph. and Interact Tech., pp. 362-371, 2002.
-  I. Guskov, W. Sweldens, and P. Schröder, “Multiresolution signal processing for meshes,” SIGGRAPH ’99 Proc. of the 26th Annu. Conf. on Comput. Graph. and Interact. Tech., pp. 325-334, 1999.
-  T. Keigo, A. Naoki, and M. Yoshitaka, “A Surface Parameter-Based Method for Accurate and Efficient Tool Path Generation,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.3, pp. 428-436, 2014.
-  http://www-mm.hm.t.kanazawa-u.ac.jp/research/kodatuno/ [Accessed April 5, 2018]
-  A. Hubeli and M. Gross, “Multiresolution Feature Extraction from Unstructured Meshes,” Proc. of IEEE Visualization, 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.