Generation of High-Pressure Air that Can Be Used as Auxiliary Power Source in a Press Die
Nishinippon Institute of Technology
1-11 Aratsu, Kanda-Cho, Fukuoka 800-0394, Japan
In this paper, the author reports an upgraded high-pressure air compression unit that can be fixed inside a press die to supply strong air. This can be used as an auxiliary power source by utilizing the reciprocating motion of a press machine. The new unit was developed based on the first generation trial product made two years ago. It adopted a simpler structure that can easily be installed in a normal standard die set, and that generates more powerful compressed air than before. Increasing air pressure and holding experiments were performed, and the results showed that the maximum value of high-pressure air generated reached several tens of times the usual air pressure a workshop is equipped with. This proposition provides the possibility of using self-generated air as an auxiliary power source to finish accompanied actions in pressing processes, such as material feeding, blowing down cutting slugs, and even executing second workings for shape forming. This technology converts a part of the excessive energy from a press machine to air power, and its applications are expected to improve the productivity of press workings.
-  R. F. Scrutton and A. Marasco, “The Dynamics of Closed-Die Forging With Mechanical Presses,” J. of Engineering for Industry, Vol.117, No.3, pp. 357-364, 1995.
-  M. Brotz, “5 steps toward more productive transfer press operations,” Stamping J., July/August 2017, pp. 24-27, 2017.
-  K. Hirai, “Development of High-speed Transfer Feeding Devices for Improving Productivity,” Press Working, Vol.55, No.13, pp. 68-71, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  S. Yamamoto, “Current Status and Management Strategy of Die and Mold Enterprises in Japan and the Europe,” Tool Engineer, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 10-13, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  R. Ito, “Expansion to Southeast Asia: Die Manufacturing in the Philippines and Indonesia,” Sokeizai, Vol.57, No.9, pp. 52-57, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  M. Sweet, “Connecting the toolroom with ERP software,” Stamping J., January/February 2017, pp. 24-27, 2017.
-  T. Nakajo, “The latest technical trend of CAD/CAM for die and mold,” Tool Engineer, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 28-31, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  K. Bachman, “Stamper Reduces Reliance on Appliance with 3-D Die Design Software,” Stamping J., January/February 2015, pp. 12-16, 2015.
-  W. J. Emblom and K. J. Weinmann, “A Control Strategy for Intelligent Stamp Forming Tooling,” J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.133, No.6, pp. 061026-061026-10, 2011.
-  T. Baba, “The Transition of the Demand and Supply Structure of Asian Dies and Molds Market,” J. of Osaka University of Economics, Vol.65, No.2, pp. 75-97, 2014.
-  H. Nishimura, “Future Prospects of Pressing Technology,” Die and Mould Technology, Vol.32, No.1, pp. 53-59, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  I. Aoki and M. Sasada, “Factors of causing slug pulling,” Press Working, Vol.48, No.10, pp. 23-35, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  T. Nakagawa and I. Aoki, “Slug Pulling in Metal Stamping and Its Prevention,” Japan Metal Stamping Association, 2001.
-  V. Tittel and L. Bernadič, “Comparison of methods controlling slug pulling by using an indirect method in automotive industry,” Int. J. of Mechanical Engineering, Vol.2, Issue 10, 2012.
-  H. Yoshida, “Practical Examples for Prevention of slug pulling,” Press Working, Vol.48, No.10, pp. 18-22, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  F. Gao, “Stamping Die with the mean of Slug Removal,” Japan Patent, No.5046048, 2012.
-  H. Shimada, “Development of A High-Pressure Air Generating Unit Used Inside A Press Die and Its Verification Test for Slug Pulling Prevention,” Thesis for Master Degree, Graduate School, Nishinippon Institute of Technology, 2012.
-  F, Gao, “Solving Slug Pulling Problem Using High-Pressure Air Generated by a Compression Unit Installed Inside a Die Set,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.1, pp. 19-25, 2015.
-  F. Gao, H. Shimada, Y. Wang, and S. Kanaya, “Development of A High Pressure Air Generation Unit Inside a Press Die And Its Confirmation Test For Slug Removal,” Die and Mould Technology, Vol.28, No.7, pp. 30-31, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  F. Gao, “Development on a High-pressure Air Compressor Unit Using as an Auxiliary Power Source in a Press Die,” Die and Mould Technology, Vol.32 No.8, pp. 94-95, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  T. Komatsu, “Development of A Combined Forming Method for a Pipe with Flange by Using Hot Gas Blowing,” Press Working, Vol.54, No.9, pp. 26-29, 2016 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.