Frictional Stress Derived on Interface Between Work and Tool Materials on Quasi-Dislocation Model for Cutting Simulations
Tohru Ihara, Xiaoqi Song, and Yukio Takahashi
Department of Precision Mechanics, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Chuo University
1-13-27 Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
There growing demand for a new FEM cutting simulation method capable of dealing with the peculiar friction phenomena that occur on the interface between work and tool materials. In this report, we first seek a theoretical formula for quasi-dislocation motions as a model to explain the phenomena that occur on the interface between the work and tool materials by applying the dislocation theory. Next, we present our method for deriving the frictional stress on a tool face from quantum mechanical calculations based on the above-mentioned model. It uses the molecular orbital method, which can only conduct static calculations, to obtain the shear stress under high strain velocities. As one of its features, it does not use complicated experiments and the first-principle molecular dynamic calculations that is high costs.
-  S. Tamura and T. Matsumura, “Cutting Force Prediction in Drilling of Unidirectional Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.1, pp. 59-66, 2015.
-  Y. Ohnishi, “Finite Element Analysis Software of Cutting,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.76, No.8, pp. 857-860, 2010.
-  T. Sakuramoto, O. Murata, T. Hitomi, and T. Ihara, “A Tentative Method for Prediction of The Friction Force Component Cutting Tool Rake Face,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.78, No.3, pp. 222-225, 2012.
-  T. Ihara, “Harnessing the Adhesion and Built-Up Edge on Cutting,” Science of Machine, Vol.66, No.10, pp. 825-832, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  E. Usui, “Modern Cutting Theory,” Kyoritsu Shuppan, p. 201, 1990 (in Japanese).
-  M. Otsuki and H. Matsukawa, “Local Slip at Friction Interface and the Breakdown of AMONTONS’ Low,” Tribologist, Vol.58, No.2, pp. 57-64, 2013.
-  H. Takeyama, “Cutting,” Maruzen Publishing Co., p. 28, 1980 (in Japanese).
-  E. Knnatey-Asibu, “A Transport-Diffusion Equation in Metal Cutting and its Application to Analysis of the Rate of Flank Wear,” J. of Engg. Ind., Vol.107, No.1, pp. 81-89, 1985.
-  T. Obikawa, Y. Asano, and Y. Kamata, “Computer fluid dynamics analysis for efficient spraying of oil mist in finish-turning of Inconel 718,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.49, Issues 12-13, pp. 971-978, 2009.
-  K. Uehara and K. Dambara, “Cutting Mechanism of Carbon Steel and Titanium in Vacuum: Study on the Machining in Vacuum,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.38, No.4, pp. 363-368, 1972.
-  S. Katayama, “The Viewpoint Point of Target Material Side; A Prediction and Inspection of Finished Surface Roughness and Built up Edge,” Mechanical Engineering, Vol.45, No.10, pp. 89-93, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  F. P. Bowden and D. Tabor, “The Friction and Lubrication of Solids,” Oxford University Press, 1950.
-  O. M. Braun and Y. Kivshar, “The Frenkel-Kontorova Model: Concepts, Methods, and Applications,” Springer, 2004.
-  M. Hirano, “Overview of the Study on Superlubricity,” Tribologist, Vol.51, No.12, pp. 849-854, 2006.
-  J. Saigawa, X. Song, and T. Ihara, “Proposal of Forming Wear Particles Considering Cluster Model on the Tool Rake Face,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.80, No.11, pp. 1036-1040, 2014.
-  X. Song, J. Saigawa, and T. Ihara, “Influence of High-Cycle Fatigue on Crater Wear Characteristics of Cemented Carbide Tool,” Key Engineering Materials, Vol.664, pp. 326-336, doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.664.326, 2016.
-  C. W. MacGregor and J. C. Fisher, “A Velocity-Modified Temperature for the Plastic Flow of Metals,” Trans. ASME, J. of Applied Mechanics, pp. A-11-A-16, 1946.
-  Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (Eds.), “JSME Mechanical Engineers’ Handbook Series α 6, Computational Mechanics,” p. 86, 2007.
-  HPC Systems Inc., http://www.hpc.co.jp/gaussian03_help.html [Accessed December 10, 2018]
-  X. Song, Y. Takahashi, W. He, and T. Ihara, “Investigation on the Nucleus Formation Mechanism of Built-Up Layer in Cutting of Hardened Steel,” J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.83, No.5, pp. 445-452, 2017.