Estimation of Die Release Force of JIS-ADC12 Aluminum Alloy Die Castings Manufactured Through High-Pressure Die Casting via Computer Simulation
Makoto Nikawa*,, Kengo Usui*, Hiroaki Iwahori**, Atsushi Sato***, and Minoru Yamashita*
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Gifu University
1-1 Yanagido, Gifu-shi, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
**Aichi Science & Technology Foundation, Toyota, Japan
***Sato Precision Company, Ltd., Seki, Japan
A method for the estimation of the die release force of die castings of JIS-ADC12 aluminum alloy manufactured through high-pressure die casting was examined. The die release force was evaluated by the strain in the axial direction of the extrusion pin when releasing the die castings. In this research, it was assumed that the factors that influenced the die release force were the thermal deformation of the die and die castings and the reaction layer of Al and Fe generated during the solidification process in the die. These factors in the resistance of the die release were evaluated by the friction coefficient. The die and die castings temperature in the die release process were simulated, and calculation results were mapped onto an FE model, and a coupled analysis of the thermal structure was performed. The calculated value of the mold release force was approximately the same as the actual value, and the friction coefficient was estimated to be approximately 0.5.
-  M. Tsuji, “Automation of die casting,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.2, No.4, pp. 285-288, 2008.
-  Y. Iwata, H. Iwahori, and Y. Furukawa, “Soldering behavior of ADC12 alloy die castings and its mechanism,” J. of Japan Foundry Engineering Society, Vol.89, pp. 757-763, 2017.
-  K. Wakatsuki, S. Uno, and N. Yokoi, “Aluminum soldering generation mechanism in die casting dies,” Denki-Seiko, Vol.85, pp. 13-20, 2014.
-  E. K. Tentardini, A. O. Kunrath, C. Aguzzoli, M. Castro, J. J. Moore, and I. J. R. Baumvol, “Soldering mechanisms in materials and coatings for aluminum die casting,” Surface & Coatings Technology, Vol.202, pp. 3764-3771, 2008.
-  V. Brøtana, O. Å. Bergb, and K. Sørbya, “Additive manufacturing for enhanced performance of molds,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.54, pp. 186-190, 2016.
-  A. Armillotta, R. Baraggi, and S. Fasoli, “SLM tooling for die casting with conformal cooling channels,” Int. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.71, pp. 573-583, 2014.
-  J. C. Lin, “The optimal design of a cooling system for a die-casting die with a free form surface,” Int. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.21, pp. 612-619, 2003.
-  C. Jin, H. Tachikawa, H. Suzuki, Y. Nomura, H. Yamada, Y. Esaki, Y. Iwata, H. Takeuchi, H. Iwahori, and M. Kajino, “Evaluation of adhesion state of mold release agent for die casting using fluorescence measurement technique,” J. of Japan Foundry Engineering Society, Vol.89, pp. 775-781, 2017.
-  M. Yokoi, M. Harada, and H. Furukawa, “Establishment of fabrication technique concerning release agent applied on aluminum alloy die casting,” J. of Japan Foundry Engineering Society, Vol.80, pp. 631-637, 2008.
-  H. Yae, R. Kimura, M. Yoshida, G. Sasaki, J. Pan, K. Yokoyama, and H. Fukunaga, “Effect of powder lubricants on surface quality of aluminum alloy die-castings,” J. of Japan Institute of Light Metals, Vol.52, pp. 303-307, 2002.
-  K. Sakamoto, M. Tashiro, and S. Aoyama, “Effects of powder die lubrication on ADC 12 alloy squeeze casting,” Imono, Vol.66, pp. 898-903, 1994.
-  A. S. Sabau and R. B. Dinwiddie, “Characterization of spray lubricants for the high pressure die casting processes,” J. Materials Processing Technology, Vol.195, pp. 267-274, 2008.
-  A. S. Sabau and E. C. Hatfield, “Measurement of heat flux and heat transfer coefficient due to spray application for the die casting process,” Proc. IMechE Part B: J. Engineering Manufacture, Vol.221, pp. 1307-1316, 2007.
-  S. Li, K. Mine, S. Sanakanishi, and K. Anzai, “Numerical simulation of die cooling by die casting lubricant spray method,” J. of Japan Foundry Engineering Society, Vol.79, pp. 571-578, 2007.
-  N. Nishi and S. Kami, “Effect of iron and manganese contents on release force of aluminum die castings,” J. of Japan Foundry Engineering Society, Vol.70, pp. 648-654, 1998.
-  P. Terek, L. Kovačević, A. Miletić, D. Kukuruzović, B. Škorić, A. Drnovšek, and P. Panjan, “Ejection performance of coated core pins intended for application on high pressure die casting tools for aluminum alloys processing,” Tribology in Industry, Vol.39, pp. 334-339, 2017.
-  P. Terek, L. Kovačević, A. Miletić, P. Panjan, S. Baloš, B. Škorić, and D. Kakaš, “Effect of die core treatments and surface finishes on the sticking and galling tendency of Al-Si alloy casting during ejection,” Wear, Vols.356-357, pp. 122-124, 2016.
-  M. Kawano, S. Uno, and N. Yokoi, “Prediction and evaluation of ejection stress distribution at die surface of die casting through numerical analysis,” Denki-Seiko, Vol.88, pp. 33-38, 2017.
-  H. Y. Lu and W. B. Lee, “Detection of interference elements and release directions in die-cast and injection-moulded components,” Proc. IMechE Part B: J. Engineering Manufacture, Vol.214, pp. 431-441, 2000.
-  S. Aoyama, H. Sugitani, K. Sakamoto, and T. Umemura, “Evaluation by plastic-elastic theory of the resistance of hollow cylindrical die castings against ejection,” J. of Japan Institute of Light Metals, Vol.43, pp. 275-280, 1993.
-  S. Aoyama, M. Akase, and K. Sakamoto, “Evaluation of lubricant film deposit on die casting die surface by measuring glossiness,” J. of Japan Institute of Light Metals, Vol.41, pp. 49-54, 1991.
-  H. Yamagata, H. Funahashi, S. Tanikawa, and M. Nikawa, “Prediction of flash by computer simulation of die distortion in high-pressure die casting of JIS ADC12,” J. of Japan Foundry Engineering Society, Vol.86, pp. 121-126, 2014.
-  Y. Yamamoto, Y. Iwata, and M. Nakamura, “Metal flow and solidification behavior of aluminum die castings,” Imono, Vol.60, pp. 770-776, 1988.
-  M. Nikawa, K. Hirose, H. Iwahori, Y. Mizutani, K. Okawa, D. Sasai, H. Yamagata, and M. Yamashita, “Analysis of cracks at cooling channel of die-casting dies and investigation of causes using CAE,” J. of Japan Foundry Engineering Society, Vol.89, pp. 750-756, 2017.
-  S. Aoyama, M. Sunada, K. Sakamoto, and T. Uemura, “Friction coefficient between die and casting in aluminum alloy die casting,” J. of Japan Institute of Light Metals, Vol.41, pp. 412-418, 1991.
-  S. Oki, T. Okumoto, and E. Niiyama, “The relation between cooling rate and thermal stress in castings during solidification and subsequent cooling,” Imono, Vol.42, pp. 77-89, 1970.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.