A Lifecycle Simulation Method for Global Reuse
Hidenori Murata*,, Naoya Yokono**, Shinichi Fukushige*, and Hideki Kobayashi*
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Osaka University,
2-1 Yamada-oka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
**NTT Docomo, Inc., Tokyo, Japan
Reuse is an effective method of circulating resources in terms of environmental benefits because it requires fewer resources and less energy than manufacturing new products from virgin materials. In global reuse, a used component or module is reused in a different application. To evaluate a system of multiple product lifecycle systems (PLSs), the lifecycle simulation methodology LCS4SoS has been proposed. LCS4SoS comprises three elements, namely, individual PLSs, interactions among them, and their evolution over time. This paper proposes a lifecycle simulation method for global reuse based on the LCS4SoS framework. Flow control rules are developed for global reuse to control the directions and quantities of material flow among the PLSs. The usefulness of this method is verified by a case study of automobile and stationary battery PLSs.
-  The Ellen MacArthur Foundation, “Towards the Circular Economy,” 2013.
-  P. Ghiselli, C. Cialani, and S. Ulgiati, “A review on circular economy: the expected transition to a balanced interplay of environmental and economic systems,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.114, pp. 11-32, 2016.
-  D. R. Cooper and T. G. Gutowski, “The Environmental Impacts of Reuse: A Review,” J. of Industrial Ecology, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 38-56, 2015.
-  H. Kobayashi, “Seihin Raifusaikuru Puranningu (Product Lifecycle Planning),” Ohmsha, 2003.
-  Y. Umeda, A. Nonomura, and T. Tomiyama, “Study on life-cycle design for the post mass production paradigm,” Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 149-161, 2000.
-  T. Kumazawa and H. Kobayashi, “A simulation system to support the establishment of circulated business,” Advanced Engineering Informatics, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 127-136, 2006.
-  S. Takata and T. Kimura, “Life cycle simulation system for life cycle process planning,” CIRP Ann. Manuf. Technol., Vol.52, No.1, pp. 37-40, 2003.
-  H. Komoto and T. Tomiyama, “Design of Competitive Maintenance Service for Durable and Capital Goods Using Life Cycle Simulation,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.1, pp. 63-70, 2009.
-  O. Weck, D. Roos, and C. Magee, “Engineering Systems,” MIT Press, 2011.
-  M. W. Maier, “Architecting principles for systems-of-systems,” Systems Engineering, Vol.1, No.4, pp. 267-284, 1998.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Matsumoto, and S. Fukushige, “A simulation methodology for a system of product life cycle systems,” Advanced Engineering Informatics, Vol.36, pp. 101-111, 2018.
-  Y. Umeda, S. Kondoh, and T. Sugino, “Analysis of Reusability using ‘Marginal Reuse Rate’,” CIRP Annals, Vol.55, No.1, pp. 41-44, 2006.
-  B. Bridgens, M. Powell, G. Farmer, C. Walsh, E. Reed, M. Royapoor, P. Gosling, J. Hall, and O. Heidrich, “Creative upcycling: Reconnecting people, materials and place through making,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.189, No.10, pp. 145-154, 2018.
-  K. Sung, “A review on upcycling: current body of literature, knowledge gaps and a way forward,” 17th Int. Conf. on Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 28-40, 2015.
-  S. Okumura, Y. Matsumoto, Y. Hatanaka, and K. Ogohara, “Simultaneous Evaluation of Environmental Impact and Incurred Cost on Selection of End-Of-Life Products Recovery Options,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.5, pp. 699-707, 2016.
-  H. Hiraoka and A. Tanaka, “Simulator for Reuse of Mechanical Parts with Network Agents,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.1, pp.77-83, 2009.
-  L. Ahmadi, S. B. Young, M. Fowler, R. A. Fraser, and M. A. Achachlouei, “A cascaded life cycle: reuse of electric vehicle lithium-ion battery packs in energy storage systems,” The Int. J. of Life Cycle Assessment, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 111-124, 2017.
-  K. Richa, C. Babbitt, and G. Gaustad, “Eco-Efficiency Analysis of a Lithium-Ion Battery Waste Hierarchy Inspired by Circular Economy,” J. of Industrial Ecology, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 715-730, 2017.
-  M. Jamshidi, “System of Systems Engineering: Innovations for the twenty-first century,” John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
-  H. Murata, H. Kobayashi, and S. Fukushige, “Lifecycle Simulation Method for System of Systems Focusing on Interaction Modeling,” Proc. of the 25th CIRP Conf. on Life Cycle Engineering, Vol.69, pp. 838-842, 2018.
-  http://www.nedo.go.jp/content/100535728.pdf [Accessed April 23, 2018]
-  http://www.enecho.meti.go.jp/committee/council/basic_problem_committee/028/pdf/28sankou2-2.pdf [Accessed April 23, 2018]
-  K. Kumai, Y. Kobayashi, H. Miyashiro, K. Takei, and T. Iwahori, “Degradation Mechanism of Li-ion Cell after Long Cycling – Mechanism and Method for Estimating the Degradation Factor,” CRIEPI Research Report, 2001.
-  International Renewable Energy Agency, “Battery Storage Technology Improvements and Cost Reductions to 2030: A Deep Dive,” 2017.
-  Yano Research Institute, “Stationary ESS (Energy Storage Systems) Market 2015,” 2015.
-  S. Bringezu, H. Schutz, S. Steger, and J. Baudisch, “International comparison of resource use and its relation to economic growth: The development of total material requirement, direct material inputs and hidden flows and the structure of TMR,” Ecological Economics, Vol.51, Nos.1-2, pp. 97-124, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.