Precision Forming and Machining Technologies for Ceramic-Based Components
Keiichiro Watanabe, Tomonori Takahashi, Tomoki Nagae, and Hiroyuki Tsuji
Manufacturing Engineering Department, Corporate Manufacturing Engineering, NGK Insulators, Ltd.
2-56 Suda-cho, Mizuho, Nagoya 467-8530, Japan
Structural ceramics components for industrial use are classified under two categories: one that is originally designed for ceramics (Ceramic Origin), and the other that is originally designed for metals and subsequently replaced with ceramics because of their improved hardness and resistance to both heat and corrosion (Metal Origin). Ceramic insulators for power lines and catalytic substrates used to control automotive emissions in gasoline engines are “Ceramic Origin” components. As ceramics are difficult to machine, a precision mold has been used in the forming process to minimize the machining volume in the case of “Ceramic Origin” components. Meanwhile, ceramic turbo charger rotors and valves for automotive engines are “Metal Origin” components, which not only require durability under severe operating conditions but also severe dimensional accuracy, similar to metal parts. These components have been derived from extensive R&D efforts in materials and process technologies for ceramic gas turbines, which have been implemented in the majority of advanced countries since the 1970s. This paper includes some examples of precision forming and machining technologies for both types of ceramic components developed by NGK Insulators, Ltd., and highlight their issues. Finally, the possibility of new types of ceramic-based components will be introduced.
-  “Small-sized Ceramic Gas Turbines – Challenges of the higher performance engines –,” Gas Turbine Society of Japan, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  M. Kaneno, “Technological Development of Fine Ceramics Based on Traditional Ceramics,” Ceramics, Vol.49, pp. 744-748, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  NGK Cat. No.14D, “Suspension Insulators,” 5th Edition, 2010.
-  T. Fujimura, “Insulator Museum and History of Insulators (5) – Circumference of Insulators –,” NGK Review, No.46, 1987 (in Japanese).
-  R. L. Coble, “Transparent alumina and method of preparation,” US patent 3, 026, 210, 1962.
-  K. Matsuhiro, K. Watanabe, T. Ohashi, and T. Hayakawa, “Engineering Approach to Improve the Solid State Lighting Characteristics with Translucent Poly Crystalline Alumina,” 11th Int. Conf. on Ceramic Materials & Components for Energy & Environmental Applications, 2015.
-  K. Watanabe, “Translucent Ceramic Envelope for HID Lamps,” 11th Int. Symp. on the Science and Technology of Light Sources LS:11, 2007.
-  N. Yamamoto, “Porous Ceramic-Catalytic Carriers for Purifying Automobile Exhaust Gas,” Int. Symp. on Fine Ceramics Arita, 1987 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Miyairi, “Ceramic Substrates for Exhaust Gas After-treatment,” Ceramics, pp. 805-809, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  NGK Insulators, Ltd. Annual Report, p. 10, 1991.
-  S. Shimura, T. Ohashi, and K. Watanabe, “Fluorination off AlN Ceramics, Silicon and Silica in Inductively Coupled NF3 Plasma, Finishing of Advanced Ceramics and Glasses,” Ceramic Trans., Vol.102, pp. 341-349, 1999.
-  T. Mizutani, T. Mizuno, R. Ushikoshi, H. Kobayashi, and K. Watanabe, “Development and Commercialization of Ceramic Components for Semiconductor Manufacturing Process,” FC Report, Vol.18, pp. 152-156, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Hara, Y. Furuse, T. Tsuchiya, F. Maeda, I. Tsuji, and K. Wada, “Development of a 20 MW Class Ceramic Gas Turbine for Power Generation – Progress on Ceramic Component Development –,” 1991 Yokohama Int. Gas Turbine Congress, pp. I-135-I-142, 1991.
-  K. Watanabe, M. Masuda, T. Ozawa, M. Matsui, and K. Matsuhiro, “Research and Development of Ceramic Turbine Wheels,” Trans. of the ASME, Vol.115, pp. 36-41, 1993.
-  S. Yamada, K. Watanabe, and M. Masuda, “Development of Ceramic Turbine Rotors and Nozzles for the 100kW Automotive Ceramic Gas Turbine Program,” The 41st ASME Int. Gas Turbine Aeroengine Congress & Exhibition, 96-GT-295, 1996.
-  M. Hattori, T. Yamamoto, and K. Watanabe, “Development of Ceramic Gas Turbine Components for CGT301 Engine,” 6th Int. Symp. on Ceramic Materials and Components for Engines, pp. 222-227, 1997.
-  T. Soma, M. Matsui, and I. Oda, “Tensile Strength of a Sintered Silicon Nitride,” S. Hampshire (Eds.), Non-Oxide Technical and Engineering Ceramics, pp. 361-374, Springer, 1986.
-  I. Oda, M. Matsui, T. Soma, M. Masuda, and N. Yamada, “Fracture Behavior of Sintered Silicon Nitride under Multiaxial Stress State,” J. Ceram. Soc. Japan Int. Ed., Vol.96, pp. 523-530, 1988.
-  M. Masuda, T. Soma, M. Matsui, and I. Oda, “Fatigue of Ceramics (Part 1) – Fatigue Behavior of Sintered Si3N4 under Tension -Compression Cycle Stress –,” J. Ceram. Soc. Jpn. Inter. Ed., Vol.96, pp. 275-280, 1988.
-  M. Masuda, N. Yamada, T. Soma, M. Matsui, and I. Oda, “Fatigue of Ceramics (Part 2) – Cyclic Fatigue Properties of Sintered Si3N4 at Room Temperature –,” J. Ceram. Soc. Jpn. Inter. Ed., Vol.97, pp. 509-514, 1989.
-  M. Masuda, T. Soma, M. Matsui, and I. Oda, “Fatigue of Ceramics (Part 3) – Cyclic Fatigue Behavior of Sintered Si3N4 at High Temperature –,” J. Ceram. Soc. Jpn. Inter. Ed., Vol.97, pp. 601-607, 1989.
-  M. Masuda and M. Matsui, “Fatigue in Ceramics (Part-4) – Static Fatigue Behavior of Sintered Silicon Nitride under Tensile Stress,” J. Ceram. Soc. Japan, Vol.98, pp. 86-95, 1990.
-  H. Tsuruta, M. Masuda, T. Soma, and M. Matsui, “Foreign Object Damage Resistance of Silicon Nitride and Silicon Carbide,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., Vol.73, pp. 1714-1718, 1990.
-  M. Matsui, “Advanced Technical Ceramics: their Potential,” Ceramics International, Vol.19, pp. 9-16, 1993.
-  M. Matsui, “Utilization Techniques for Structural Ceramics,” Fracture Mechanics of Ceramics, Vol.11, pp. 1-9, 1996.
-  T. Ozawa, M. Matsuhisa, Y. Kobayashi, E. Matsuo, and T. Inagaki, “Hot-Gas Spin Testing of Ceramic Turbine Rotor at TIT 1300◦,” SAE Technical Paper 890427, 1989.
-  M. Matsui, T. Soma, Y. Ishida, and I. Oda, “Life Time Prediction of Ceramic Turbocharger Rotor,” SAE Technical Paper 860443, pp. 141-149, 1986.
-  H. Kawase, T. Matsuhisa, K. Kato, and T. Mizuno, “Development of Ceramic Turbocharger Rotors for High temperature Use,” ASME Paper 91-GT-270, 1991.
-  T. Mizutani, K. Matsuhiro, and N. Yamamoto, “Advanced Structural Ceramics – From Research to Applications – “Dedicated to Prof. Guenter Petzow: Modern Trends in Advanced Ceramics,” J. Ceram. Soc. Japan, Vol.114, pp. 905-910, 2006.
-  Y. Hori, Y. Miyakawa, S. Asami, and T. Kajihara, “Si3N4 Ceramic Valves for Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Paper 89015, 1989.
-  T. Matsui, M. Kobayashi, H. Okamura, K. Kato, and Y. Hori, “Ceramic Tappets Cast in Aluminum Alloy for Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 900403, 1990.
-  Y. Ogawa, M. Machida, N. Miyamura, K. Tashiro, and M. Sugano, “Ceramic Rocker Arm Insert for Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 860397, 1986.
-  “NGK Insulators, Ltd. 75 years of history,” Japan Business History Institute, NGK Insulators, p. 110, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  K. Ohmori, “Applicability of ceramics to pumps carrying gypsum slurry,” Machine Design, Vol.32, No.13, pp. 60-65, 1988 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kato, K. Watanabe, and S. Miwa, “Characteristics and Applications of Silicon Nitride Ceramics,” FC Report, Vol.12, pp. 44-51, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  M. Komatsu, “Development of Ceramics Bearings,” Ceramics, Vol.39, pp. 633-638, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  http://www.crystalwise.com.tw/en/product.php [Accessed August 22, 2017].
-  M. Uneda, K. Takano, K. Komeya, H. Aida, and K. Ishikawa, “Investigation into Chemical Mechanical Polishing Mechanism of Hard-to-Process Materials Using a Commercially Available Single-Sided Polisher,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, pp. 573-579, 2015.
-  H. Aida, T. Doi, H. Takeda, H. Katskura, S.-W. Kim, K. Komeya, T. Yamazaki, and M. Uneda, “Ultraprecision CMP for sapphire, GaN and SiC for advanced optoelectronics materials,” Current Applied Physics, Vol.12, pp. 41-46, 2012.
-  http://www.ngk.co.jp/english/products/electronics/electronic/wafer/saw/index.html [Accessed August 22, 2017].