Investigation of Strain Hardening in Aluminum Alloy Sheared Sheet Based on Microhardness Measurement and FEM Analysis
Pusit Mitsomwang*,, Rattana Borrisutthekul*, Usanee Kitkamthorn*, and Shigeru Nagasawa**
*School of Metallurgical Engineering, Suranaree University of Technology
111 University Avenue, Muang, Nakhon Ratchasima 30000, Thailand
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Nagaoka University of Technology, Nagaoka, Japan
This research was carried out to investigate the strain hardening in an aluminum alloy worksheet caused by punch/die shearing by means of microhardness measurement and finite element method (FEM) analysis. To examine the strain-hardened zone at the sheared edge of a worksheet, a 0.36 mm thick AA4047 aluminum alloy cut by punch/die shearing was subjected to microhardness measurements. In addition, a two-dimensional FEM model was developed and used to simulate the shear cutting of the aluminum alloy worksheet. The fundamental shear cutting parameters, punch/die clearance, cutting tool wear, and friction at the worksheet/tool interfaces were numerically varied and simulated. From the investigation results, the strain-hardened zone was observed by hardness measurement. The size of the zone significantly varied under different cutting parameters. From the simulated stresses at the sheared zone, the variation of the width of the strain-hardened zone with respect to cutting parameters was determined by the maximum principal stress on the worksheet being sheared.
-  P. Mitsomwang, S. Nagasawa, H. Kuroiwa, and Y. Fukushima, “Deformation Analysis of Silicone Rubber Sheet Subjected to Keen WC Blade Indentation,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.5, pp. 761-772, 2014.
-  M. Liewald, C. Bolay, and S. Thullner, “Shear Cutting and Counter Shear Cutting of Sandwich Materials,” J. of Manufacturing Processes, Vol.15, Issue 3, pp. 364-373, 2013.
-  P. Mitsomwang and S. Nagasawa, “Effect of Shearing Parameters on Cutting Characteristics of Polycarbonate Sheet Subjected to Straight Punchdie Shearing,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.220, pp. 46-57, 2015.
-  M. Krinninger, F. Steinlehner, D. Opritescu, R. Golle, and W. Volk, “Notch Shear Cutting of Aluminum Alloys,” Prodedia Engineering, Vol.183, pp. 53-58, 2017.
-  H. J. Roscher, L. Ebert, M. A. Roscher, and H. Hielscher, “Ultrasonic Vibration Assistance in Shear Cutting of Electrode Materials for Lithiumion Batteries,” J. of Manufacturing Processes, Vol.17, pp. 58-62, 2015.
-  Haynes International Inc., “Welding and Fabrication, Overview The Haynes and Hasterlloy Alloys,” Welding and Fabrication Brochure, pp. 1-77, 2017.
-  T. Zacharia, “Dynamic Stresses in Weld Metal Hot Cracking,” Welding Research Supplement, pp. 164-172, 1994.
-  C. E. Cross, N. Coniglio, P. Schempp, and M. Mousavi, “Critical Conditions for Weld Solidification Crack Growth,” Hot Cracking Phenomena in Welds III, pp. 25-41, 2011.
-  A. Niel, C. Bordreuil, F. Deschaux-Beaume, and G. Fras, “Modelling of Hot Cracking in 6061 Alumium Allloy Weld Metal with Microstructure Based Criterium,” Sceince and Technology of Welding and Joining, Vol.18, pp. 154-160, 2013.
-  A. Aran, “Manufacturing Properties of Engineering Materials (Lecturere Notes),” Işı k University, p. 41-41, 2017.
-  B.-M. Kim, C.-J. Lee, and J.-M. Lee, “Estimations of Work Hardening Exponents of Engineering Metals using Residual Indentation Profile of Nanoindenation,” J. of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol.24, pp. 73-76, 2010.
-  W. C. Liu, C. S. Man, and D. Raabe, “Effect of Strain Hardening on Texture Development in Cold Rolled AlMg alloy,” Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol.527, pp. 1249-1254, 2010.
-  A. K. De, J. G. Speer, D. K. Matlock, D. C. Murdock, M. C. Mataya, and R. J. Comstock, “Deformationinduced Phase Transformation and Strain Hardening in Type 304 Austenitic Stainless Steel,” Metallurgical and Materials Trans. A, Vol.37, Issue 6, pp. 1875-1886, 2006.
-  H. Autenrieth, B. Okolo, V. Schulze, and A. Wanner, “Surface Workhardening and Residual Stresses Induced by Micro Cutting Processes,” Int. Center for Diffraction Data, pp. 608-615, 2009.
-  J. Menšík, “Uncertainties and Errors in Nanoindentation,” Nanoindentation in Materials Science, pp. 53-86, 2012.
-  S. P. Pual, “Xray Diffraction Characterization of Residual Stress Produce by Shot Peening,” Lambda Technology, pp. 81-93, 1990.
-  Y. Ma, W. Song, and W. Bleck, “Investigation of the Microstructure Evolotion in a Fe17Mn1.5Al0.3C Steel via In Situ Synchroton Xray Diffraction during a Tensile Test,” Materials, Vol.10, pp. 1-16, 2017.
-  L. Kurt, “Handbook of Metal Forming,” McGrawHill, pp. 24.21-24.23, 1985.
-  S. Kalpakjian, “Manufacruing Processes for Engineering Mateiral,” Addison-Wesley, pp. 383-386, 2010.
-  MSC Software Corporation, “Marc 2014, Volume B: Element Library,” pp. 148-151, 2014.
-  E. G. Dieter, “Mechanical Metallurgy,” McGrawHill, pp. 58-59, 1988.
-  T. Maeda and K. Matsuno, “Wear on Shearing Tool Wear on Cutting Edges of Blanking Tool for Squared Parts,” Bulletin of JSME, Vol.10, pp. 197-205, 1967.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.