Milling Process Monitoring Based on Vibration Analysis Using Hilbert-Huang Transform
Agus Susanto*, Chia-Hung Liu**, Keiji Yamada*,, Yean-Ren Hwang***, Ryutaro Tanaka*, and Katsuhiko Sekiya*
*Graduate School of Engineering, Hiroshima University
1-4-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8527, Japan
**Industrial Technology Research Institute, Hsinchu, Taiwan
***Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Central University, Taoyuan City, Taiwan
Vibration analysis is one method of machining process monitoring. The vibration obtained in machining is often nonlinear and of a nonstationary nature. Therefore, an appropriate signal analysis is needed for signal processing and feature extraction. In this research, vibrations obtained in the milling of thin-walled workpieces were analyzed using the Hilbert-Huang transform (HHT). The features obtained by the HHT served as machining-state indicators for machining process monitoring. Experimental results showed the effectiveness of the HHT method for detecting chatter and tool damage.
-  M. A. Butt, Y. Yang, X. Pei, and Q. Liu, “Five-axis milling vibration attenuation of freeform thin-walled part by eddy current damping,” Precision Engineering, Vol.51, pp. 682-690, 2018.
-  K. Kolluru and D. Axinte, “Coupled interaction of dynamic responses of tool and workpiece in thin wall milling,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.213, No.9, pp. 1565-1574, 2013.
-  S. A. Tobias and W. Fishwick, “Theory of regenerative machine tool chatter,” Engineer, Vol.205, pp. 199-203, 1958.
-  J. Tlusty, “Dynamics of high-speed milling,” J. of Engineering Industry for Trans. of ASME, Vol.108, pp. 59-67, 1986.
-  Y. Altintas and E. Budak, “Analytical prediction of stability lobes in milling,” CIRP Annals, Vol.44, No.1, pp. 357-362, 1995.
-  U. Bravo, O. Altuzarra, L. N. L. Lacalle, J. A. Sánchez, and F. J. Campa, “Stability limits of milling considering the flexibility of the workpiece and the machine,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.45, No.15, pp. 1669-1680, 2005.
-  F. J. Campa, L. N. L. Lacalle, and A. Celaya, “Chatter avoidance in the milling of thin floors with bull-nose end mills: Model and stability diagrams,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.51, No.1, pp. 43-53, 2011.
-  S. Alan, E. Budak, and H. N. Özgüven, “Analytical prediction of part dynamics for machining stability analysis,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4. No.3, pp. 259-267, 2010.
-  P. L. Huang, J. F. Li, J. Sun, and J. Zhou, “Study on performance in dry milling aeronautical titanium alloy thin-wall components with two types of tools,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.67, pp. 258-264, 2014.
-  K. Shimana, E. Kondo, H. Karashima, and N. Kawagoishi, “Fast detection of chatter in end-milling using pseudo auto-correlation function,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.6, pp. 728-735, 2012.
-  Y. Yamada, T. Kadota, S. Sakata, J. Tachibana, K. Nakanishi, M. Sawada, and Y. Kakinuma, “Integrated chatter monitoring based on sensorless cutting force/torque estimation in parallel turning,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.2, pp. 215-225, 2017.
-  I. N. Tansel, X. Wang, P. Chen, A. Yenilmez, and B. Ozcelik, “Transformations in machining. Part 2. Evaluation of machining quality and detection of chatter in turning by using S-transformation,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.46, No.1, pp. 43-50, 2006.
-  J. Xu, K. Yamada, K. Sekiya, R. Tanaka, and Y. Yamane, “Effect of different features to drill-wear prediction with back propagation neural network,” Precision Engineering, Vol.38, No.4, pp. 791-798, 2014.
-  A. Y. C. Nee (Ed.), “Handbook of Manufacturing Engineering and Technology,” Springer, 2014.
-  N. E. Huang and S. P. Shen (Eds.), “Hilbert-Huang Transform and Its Applications,” World Scientific, 2005.
-  S. Kato and M. Larson, “Time-frequency analysis of turbidity using the Hilbert-Huang transform,” Proc. of Coastal Engineering, Vol.55, pp. 621-625, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  J. Otsuka, “Unsteady nonlinear signal analysis using Hilbert-Huang transform,” Monthly report of the civil engineering Research institute for cold region. No. 703, pp. 39-44, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  T. L. Schmitz and K. S. Smith, “Mechanical Vibrations: Modeling and Measurement,” Springer, 2012.
-  A. Susanto, K. Yamada, K. Mani, R. Tanaka, and K. Sekiya, “Vibration Analysis in Milling of Thin-Walled Workpieces using Hilbert-Huang Transform,” Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Leading Edge Manufacturing in the 21st Century, Hiroshima, Japan, 2017.
-  X. Jin, Y. Sun, Q. Guo, and D. Guo, “3D stability lobe considering the helix angle effect in thin-wall milling,” I. J. Adv. Manufacturing and Tech., Vol.82, No.9-12, pp. 2123-2136, 2016.
-  E. A. Starke Jr and J. T. Staley, “Application of modern aluminum alloys to aircraft,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol.32, No.2-3, pp. 131-172, 1996.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.