Usability Analysis of Information on Worker’s Hands in Animated Assembly Manuals
Masao Sugi*,, Ippei Matsumura**, Yusuke Tamura**, Tamio Arai**, and Jun Ota***
*The University of Electro-Communications
1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu-shi, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
**The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
***The University of Tokyo, Kashiwa, Japan
This study considered animated manuals among the assembly manuals used in the manufacturing industry, which is one of the important components for enhancing service productivity in the task teaching process. In particular, it focused on information that pertained to the worker’s hands. The objective of this study was to investigate the impact of the inclusion of hand information for assembly workers and to elucidate on the effectiveness of the provision of hand information in assembly manuals. The subjective experimental results from four participants demonstrated that hand information was beneficial either when the presentation of such information was sufficiently easy for users to comprehend or when unstable parts have to be held by the hands.
-  R. Kamata, R. Tamura, S. Niitsu, H. Kawaharada, and H. Hiraoka, “Use of 1DOF Haptic Device for Remote-Controlled 6DOF Assembly,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.3, pp. 452-459, 2014.
-  S. Niitsu, R. Tamura, and H. Hiraoka, “Detection of Contact Point of Parts Using a Force Sensor for Remote-Controlled Assembly Using a 1DOF Haptic Device,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.6, pp. 747-755, 2015.
-  R.-J. Chang and J.-C. Jau, “Augmented Reality in Peg-in-Hole Microassembly Operations,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 438-446, 2016.
-  A. Scholl and C. Becker, “State-of-the-Art Exact and Heuristic Solution Procedures for Simple Assembly Line Balancing,” European J. of Operational Research, Vol.168, Issue 3, pp. 666-693, 2006.
-  C. Becker and A. Scholl, “A Survey on Problems and Methods in Generalized Assembly Line Balancing,” European J. of Operation Research, Vol.168, Issue 3, pp. 694-715, 2006.
-  U. Wemmerlöv and N. L. Hyer, “Cellular Manufacturing in the U.S. Industry: a Survey of Users,” Int. J. of Production Research, Vol.27, Issue 9, pp. 1511-1530, 1989.
-  Y. Yu, J. Gong, J. Tang, Y. Yin, and I. Kaku, “How to Carry Out Assembly Line-Cell Conversion? A Discussion Based on Factor Analysis of System Performance Improvements,” Int. J. of Production Research, Vol.50, No.18, pp. 5259-5280, 2012.
-  J. T. C. Tan, F. Duan, R. Kato, and T. Arai, “Man-Machine Interface for Human-Robot Collaborative Cellular Manufacturing System,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.6, pp. 760-767, 2009.
-  S. Taki, Y. Kajihara, and A. Yamamoto, “Proposal for Evaluating Workers’ Work Characteristics – Case Study on Business Machinery Production Line –,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 38-45, 2017.
-  S. Seki, “One by One Production in the ‘Digital Yatai’: Practical Use of 3D-CAD Data in the Fabrication,” J. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineering, Vol.106, No.1013, pp. 254-258, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  K. Shida, “A Basic Study on Presentation Information Using a Personal Computer for the Work Instruction in Assembly Work,” The Japanese J. of Ergonomics, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 1-10, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kimura and M. Yoshida, “Cellular Manufacturing Runs into Trouble When Nothing Is Done Part 5: No Quality Improvement,” Nikkei Monozukuri, Nikkei BP, July 2004, pp. 58-61, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  J. Tanaka and I. Ozawa, “Animated Manual Creating System ‘i.ADiCA’,” IE Review, Vol.49, No.1, pp. 60-61, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  H. Yoshikawa, “Introduction to Service Engineering,” Synthesiology – English edition, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 103-113, 2008.
-  AIST Human Body Measurement Database 1991-92 (online), available from https://www.dh.aist.go.jp/database/91-92/ [Accessed October 31, 2017].
-  M. Kouchi, N. Miyata, and M. Mochimaru, “An Analysis of Hand Measurements for Obtaining Representative Japanese Hand Models,” SAE Trans., Vol.114, No.7, pp. 854-858, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  G. C. Heyde, “Workability with MODAPTS: Workplace capability assessment series with MODAPTS,” Australian Association for Predetermined Time Standards & Research, 1974.
-  I. Matsumura, M. Sugi, Y. Tamura, J. Ota, and T. Arai, “Display of the Worker’s Hand in Assembly Manuals Using Animations,” Procs. of The Japan Society for Precision Engineering (JSPE) 2007 Annual Spring Meeting, pp. 85-86, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  M. R. Cutkosky, “On Grasp Choice, Grasp Models, and the Design of Hands for Manufacturing Tasks,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 269-279, 1989.
-  S. Miyake and M. Kumashiro, “Subjective mental workload assessment technique – An introduction to NASA-TLX and SWAT and a proposal of simple scoring methods,” The Japanese J. of Ergonomics, Vol.29, No.6, pp. 399-408, 1993 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.