Evaluation of Holding Force on Six-D.o.F Surgical Assist Arm with Sphere Joints and Inner-Outer Cables
Toshihiro Yukawa*,† and Jun Sasaki**
*Department of Systems Innovation Engineering, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Iwate University
4-3-5 Ueda, Morioka, Iwate 020-8551, Japan
**Kurihara Thyroid Clinic, Morioka, Japan
A new type of surgical instrument developed as substitutes for an abdominal retractor for use during surgery is described. The new instrument can increase the efficiency of retraction during surgery. We develop an assistant mechanism which has a six-D.o.F, as high controllability at the tip of the mechanism. The mechanism consists of a serial three-link manipulator whose each joint is composed of a ball joint. The instrument needs to maintain the shape of the relevant body part while maintaining own posture during surgery.
-  K. Kishi, K. Kan, M. G. Fujie, K. Sudo, S. Takamoto, and T. Dohi, “Dual-Armed Surgical Master-Slave Manipulator System with MR Compatibility,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.17, No.3, pp. 285-292, 2005.
-  I. Murasawa, S. Murofushi, C. Ishii, and H. Kawamura, “Development of a Robotic Laparoscope for Laparoscopic Surgery and its Control,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.29, No.3, pp. 580-590, 2017.
-  Z. Li, D. Glozman, D. Milutinovic, and J. Rosen, “Maximizing Dexterous Workspace and Optimal Port Placement of a Multi-Arm Surgical Robot,” 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3394-3399, 2011.
-  W. Wei, R. E. Goldman, H. F. Fine, S. Chang, and N. Simaan, “Performance Evaluation for Multi-arm Manipulation of Hollow Suspended Organs,” IEEE Trans., ROBOTICS, Vol.25, No.1, pp. 147-157, 2009.
-  K. Sugiyama, T. Matsuno, T. Kamegawa, T. Hiraki, H. Nakaya, M. Nakamura, A. Yanou, and M. Minami, “Needle Tip Position Accuracy Evaluation Experiment for Puncture Robot in Remote Center Control,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.28, No.6, pp. 911-920, 2016.
-  Z. Long, K. Nagamune, R. Kuroda, and M. Kurosaka, “Real-Time 3D Visualization and Navigation Using Fiber-Based Endoscopic System for Arthroscopic Surgery,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform, Vol.20, No.5, pp. 735-742, 2016.
-  K. Takikawa, R. Miyazaki, T. Kanno, G. Endo, and K. Kawashima, “Pneumatically Driven Multi-DOF Surgical Forceps Manipulator with a Bending Joint Mechanism Using Elastic Bodies,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.28, No.4, pp. 559-567, 2016.
-  Y. Fujihira, T. Hanyu, Y. Kanada, T. Yoneyama, T. Watanabe, and H. Kagawa, “Gripping Force Feedback System for Neurosurgery,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.1, pp. 83-94, 2014.
-  Needle Holders, http://www.quirurgicoinstrumental.com/CATALOGO%20PILLING/GEN_PDFs/GEN_NeedleHolders.pdf [accessed April 13, 2018]
-  DEX, agile Robot, http://www.dexteritesurgical.com/dexteritesurgical-en/dex-robot [accessed April 13, 2018]
-  H. M. Chien, “Novel Laparoscopic Needle Holder,” MATEC Web of Conf., Article Number 08002, DOI:10.1051/matecconf/20165608002, 2016.
-  M. Donnici, G. Lupinacci, P. Nudo, M. Perrelli, and G. Danieli, “Using Navi-Robot and a CT Scanner to Guide Biopsy Needles,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.3, pp. 450-458, 2017.
-  S. Tanaka, K. Harada, Y. Ida, K. Tomita, I. Kato, F. Arai, T. Ueta, Y. Noda, N. Sugita, and M. Mitsuishi, “Quantitative assessment of manual and robotic microcannulation for eye surgery using new eye model,” The Int. J. of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, DOI: 10.1002/rcs.1586, 2014.
-  Mitaka Kohki Co., Ltd. HP, http://www.mitakakohki.co.jp/english/medical/ [accessed April 13, 2018]
-  J. Sasaki and K. Izu, “Trial Production of New Surgical Arm,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapy, Vol.5, No.7, pp. 1287-1289, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  J. Sasaki, K. Saito, and K. Izu, “Trial manufacture of a free-rotation neck deep-suturing needle holder,” J. of Japanese Association for Operating Room Technology, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 150-152, 1989 (in Japanese).
-  K. Nakamura, T. Yukawa, Y. Kuramochi, and J. Sasaki, “Development of a Surgical Arm with Multiple Passive Joints,” Kurihara Thyroid Clinic, No.12-3, Proc. of the 2012 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 2P1-V02(1), 2012.
-  T. Yukawa, R. Anbo, and J. Sasaki, “Development of Surgical Assist Manipulator with Sphere Joints and Inner-Outer Cables,” The Proc. of JSME annual Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics (Robomec 2013), ID: 2A2-L06, DOI:10.1299/jsmermd.2013._2A2-L06_1, 2013.
-  Tokyo Hatsujyo Manufacturing Co., Ltd. HP, Standards springs / Special orders, http://www.tohatsu-springs.com/english/product/ [accessed April 13, 2018]
-  K. Usami, T. Yukawa, H. Sato, T. Takahashi, and J. Sasaki, “Development of surgical assist manipulator with sphere joints and inner-outer cables,” The Proc. of Autumn Conf. of Tohoku Branch, ID: 234, DOI: 10.1299/jsmetohoku.2014.50.55, 2014.
-  H. Kasano, I. Nakahara, H. Matsumoto, and E. Tsuchida, “The Elastic Hollow Sphere under Concentrated Loads,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers), Vol.41, No.350, pp. 2847-2852, DOI: 10.1299/kikai1938.41.2847, 1975.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.