Effects of Adhesives on Reliability in Interfacial Strength Evaluation Method for Plasma-Sprayed Hydroxyapatite Coating
Yuichi Otsuka†, Yoshihisa Hiraki, Yuki Hakozaki, Yukio Miyashita, and Yoshiharu Mutoh
Nagaoka University of Technology
1603-1 Kamitomioka, Nagaoka, Niigata 940-2188, Japan
The purpose of this study is to evaluate interfacial strength of plasma-sprayed HAp coating by using more general adhesives. Plasma-sprayed HAp coating has been applied to bond bones with the surfaces of artificial hip joints. However, HAp coating is subjected to crack or delamination by mechanical loading. Conventional standard codes for measurement of interfacial strength of calcium phosphate coating determine the use of a specific adhesive irrationally. Our group previously proposed pre-immersion treatment process in preparation of interfacial testing specimens in order to obtain valid value of interfacial strength. However, the type of the adhesive was for medical purpose and not general one. To widen applicability of the proposed method, a selection policy of adhesive is indispensable. Metal Lock Y610 (ML adhesive) was selected as one of general adhesives. Interfacial strength tests by using ML adhesive were conducted. The results of interfacial strength test were compatible with the one reported by previous study, which suggest that the selection of general type of adhesive was successful. Raman spectroscopy analyses were also conducted to confirm a suppressed infiltration of ML adhesives.
-  L. Sun, C. C. Berndt, K. A. Gross, and A. Kucuk, “Material fundamentals and clinical performance of plasma-sprayed hydroxyapatite coatings: A review,” J. of Biomedical Materials Research, Vol.58, No.5, pp. 570-592, 2001.
-  G. Y. Lee, A. Srivastava, D. D. D’Lima, P. A. Pulido, and C. W. Colwell Jr., “Hydroxyapatite-Coated Femoral Stem Survivorship at 10 Years,” The J. of Arthroplasty, Vol.20, Supplement 3, pp. 57-62, 2005.
-  X. Zheng, M. Huang, and C. Ding, “Bond strength of plasma-sprayed hydroxyapatite/Ti composite coatings,” Biomaterials, Vol.21, No.8, pp. 841-849, 2000.
-  H. Guo, K. A. Khor, Y. C. Boey, and X. Miao, “Laminated and functionally graded hydroxyapatite/yttria stabilized tetragonal zirconia composites fabricated by spark plasma sintering,” Biomaterials, Vol.24, No.4, pp. 667-675, 2003.
-  A. Moshaverinia, S. Ansari, M. Moshaverinia, N. Roohpour, J. A. Darr, and I. Rehman, “Effects of incorporation of hydroxyapatite and fluoroapatite nanobioceramics into conventional glass ionomer cements (GIC),” Acta Biomaterialia, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 432-440, 2008.
-  J. Sakurai and S. Hata, “Characteristics of Ti-Ni-Zr Thin Film Metallic Glasses / Thin Film Shape Memory Alloys for Micro Actuators with Three-Dimensional Structures,” Int. J. of Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.6, pp. 662-667, 2015.
-  J. M. Fernández-Pradas, M. V. García-Cuenca, L. Clèries, G. Sardin, and J. L. Morenza, “Influence of the interface layer on the adhesion of pulsed laser deposited hydroxyapatite coatings on titanium alloy,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.195, No.1-4, pp. 31-37, 2002.
-  T. Matsuya, Y. Otsuka, M. Tagaya, S. Motozuka, K. Ohnuma, and Y. Mutoh, “Formation of stacked luminescent complex of 8-hydroxyquinoline molecules on hydroxyapatite coating by using cold isostatic pressing,” Materials Science and Engineering C, Vol.58, pp. 127-132, 2016.
-  K. Gross, W. Walsh, and E. Swarts, “Analysis of retrieved hydroxyapatite-coated hip prostheses,” J. of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 190-199, 2004.
-  T. Laonapakul, Y. Otsuka, A. Nimkerdphol, and Y. Mutoh, “Acoustic emission and fatigue damage induced in plasma-sprayed hydroxyapatite coating layers,” J. of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, Vol.8, pp. 123-133, 2012.
-  T. Laonapakul, A. R. Nimkerdphol, Y. Otsuka, and Y. Mutoh, “Failure behavior of plasma-sprayed HAp coating on commercially pure titanium substrate in simulated body fluid (SBF) under bending load,” J. of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, Vol.15, pp. 153-166, 2012.
-  A. R. Nimkerdphol, Y. Otsuka, and Y. Mutoh, “Effect of dissolution/precipitation on the residual stress redistribution of plasma-sprayed hydroxyapatite coating on titanium substrate in simulated body fluid (SBF),” J. of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, Vol.36, pp. 98-108, 2014.
-  Y. Otsuka, Y. Miyashita, and Y. Mutoh, “Effects of delamination on fretting wear behaviors of plasma-sprayed hydroxyapatite coating,” Mechanical Engineering J., Vol.3, No.2, Paper No.: 15-00573, 2016.
-  Y. Otsuka, H. Kawaguchi, and Y. Mutoh, “Cyclic delamination behavior of plasma-sprayed hydroxyapatite coating on Ti-6Al-4V substrates in simulated body fluid,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, Vol.67, pp. 533-541, 2016.
-  Y. Otsuka, D. Kojima, and Y. Mutoh, “Prediction of cyclic delamination lives of plasma-sprayed hydroxyapatite coating on Ti-6Al-4V substrates with considering wear and dissolutions,” J. of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, Vol.64, pp. 113-124, 2016.
-  ISO13779-4:2002, “Implants for surgery – Hydroxyapatite – Part 4; Determination of coating adhesion strength,” Int. Organization for Standardization, 2002.
-  ASTMF1147-05, “Standard test for tensile test of calcium phosphate and metallic coatings,” ASTM International, 2005.
-  S. S. Scherrer, P. F. Cesar, and M. V. Swain, “Direct comparison of the bond strength results of the different test methods: A critical literature review,” Dental Materials, Vol.26, No.2, pp. e78-e93, 2010.
-  Y. Hakozaki, Y. Otsuka, Y. Miyashita, and Y. Mutoh, “Effects of adhesives on validity of interfacial strength of plasma-sprayed hydroxyapatite coating,” The 10th Asia-Pacific Conf. on Fracture and Strength (APCFS2016), 2016.
-  O. Shiho, G. K. Y. Koichiro, F. Yuji, K. Wataru, O. Naoki, and M. Hiroyuki, “Mechanical properties of newly developed PMMA resin cement,” Adhesive Density, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 8-16, 2008.
-  R. B. Heimann, “Thermal spraying of biomaterials,” Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol.201, No.5, pp. 2012-2019, 2006.