Time-Resolved Oblique Incident Interferometry for Vibration Analysis of an Ultrasonic Motor
Yasuhiro Mizutani*,†, Takayuki Higuchi**, Tetsuo Iwata**, and Yasuhiro Takaya*
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Osaka university
2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
**Institute of Technology and Science, The University of Tokushima, Tokushima, Japan
This paper presents a technique that employs a stroboscopic oblique-incidence interferometer to visualize the motion of a vibrating object with a rough surface. An oblique-incidence interferometer is well suited to the analysis of a rough surface and micro displacement because light-scattering is reduced when a surface is rough. However, when continuous light is used, the fringe pattern on the vibrating surface in the ultrasonic region can not be observed for the analysis of a micrometer resolution profile. To overcome this problem, pulsed light synchronized with a vibrating sample is employed as a light source using an acousto-optic modulator (AOM). The timing between the vibrating sample and the observation light is controlled using a common oscillator, so that the time-resolved behavior of the stator can be measured. We successfully detect the periodic movement of a fringe pattern for a vibrating ultrasonic motor using the interferometer.
-  H. V. Barth, IBM Technical Disclosure Bull., Vol.16, p. 2263, 1973.
-  V. V. Lavrinenko, S. S. Vishnevski, and I. K. Karashev, “Izvestiya Vysshikh Uchebnykh Zavadenii,” Radioelektronica, Vol.13, p. 57, 1976.
-  T. Sashida and T. Kenjo, “An introduction to ultrasonic motors,” Oyo Butsuri, Vol.51, p. 713, 1982 (in Japanese).
-  A. Kumada, “A Piezoelectric Ultrasonic Motor,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol.24, Suppl.24-2, pp. 739-741, 1985.
-  H. Yoshioka, T. Gokan, and H. Shinno, “Design and Nanomotion Control of a Noncontact Stage with Squeeze Bearings,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.2, No.1, p. 18, 2008.
-  M. Kuribayashi, S. Ueha, and E. Mori, “Excitation conditions of flexural traveling waves for a reversible ultrasonic linear motor,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol.77, p. 1431, 1985.
-  K. Nishibori, S. Kondo, M. Nagasawa, and Y. Nichiguchi, “Driving characteristics of a traveling wave-type ultrasonic motor with three state PWM control adding a standing wave in its stator,” Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol.72, No.717, p. 1598, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  T. Maeno, T. Tsukimoto, and A. Miyake, “Finite-element analysis of the rotor/stator contact in a ring-type ultrasonic motor,” IEEE Trans. Ultrasonics, Feroelectrics, and Freq. control, Vol.39, No.6, pp. 668-674, 1992.
-  N. W. Hagood and A. J. McFarland, “Modeling of a piezoelectric rotary ultrasonic motor,” IEEE Trans. Ultrasonics, Feroelectrics, and Freq. control, Vol.42, No.2, pp. 210-224, 1995.
-  I. Okamura, “A Designing Method of a Bar-Type Ultrasonic Motor for Autofocus Lenses,” Proc. IFToMM-jc Intl., Symp. on Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, p. 836, 1992.
-  N. Umeda, “Observation of elliptical motion in the tortion coupler of ultrasonic motor using optical heterodyne interferometer,” IEICE Trans. on Electronics, Vol.J70, No.C-7, p. 1038, 1987 (in Japanese).
-  K. Nakano, G. Nishizawa, S. Okuma, K. Hane, and T. Eguchi, “Vibration measurement of ultrasonic motor using stroboscopic interferometry,” Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol.62, No.598, p. 2237, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  N. Abramson, “The interferoscope: a new type of interferometer with variable fringe separation,” Optik, Vol.56, p. 30, 1967.
-  N. V. Murty and R. P. Shukla, “An Oblique Incidence Interferometer,” Opt. Eng., Vol.15, No.5, p. 155461, 1976.
-  M. D. A. MacBean, “Oblique incidence interferometry of rough surfaces using a novel Dove-prism spectrometer,” Appl. Opt., Vol.23, pp. 4024-4028, 1984.
-  Y. Otani, N. Okuhara, and T. Yoshizawa, “Measurement of nonoptical surfaces for determination of Poison’s ratio by oblique incidence interferometry,” Opt. Eng., Vol.37, p. 261, 1998.
-  D. Boebel, B. Packroß, and H. J. Tiziani, “Phase shifting in an oblique incidence interferometer,” Opt. Eng., Vol.30, No.12, pp. 1910-1940, 1991.
-  C. F. Bohren and D. R. Huffirman, “Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles,” Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, 1998.
-  X. He, K. Torrance, F. Sillion, and D. Greenberg, “A comprehensive physical model for light reflection,” ACM SIGGRAPH computer graphics, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 175-186, 1991.
-  O. Y. Kwon, D. M. Shough, and R. A. Williams, “Stroboscopic Phase-shifting Interferometry,” Opt. Lett., Vol.12, No.11, p. 855, 1987.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.