A Simulation Study of Plasmonic Substrate for In-Process Measurement of Refractive Index in Nano-Stereolithography
Masaki Michihata*,†, Deqing Kong**, Kiyoshi Takamasu***, and Satoru Takahashi*
*Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo
4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro, Tokyo 153-8904, Japan
**Department of Advanced Interdisciplinary Studies, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
***Department of Precision Engineering, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Functional surfaces are in demand for recent value-added products. Stereolithography based on evanescent light has been proposed as a technique to fabricate surface nanostructures, but some fabrication error sources must be addressed. In-process measurement is an essential solution to improve the fabrication performance. For in-process measurement in stereolithography, the refractive index of resin is an inherent parameter for product and condition monitoring. This study proposes the in-process measurement of the refractive index of resin based on surface plasmon resonance (SPR). The optical phase response at SPR is highly sensitive to changes in the refractive index of resin but has a narrow sensing range. Therefore, we propose a substrate with a tunable sensing range using lanthanum-modified lead zirconate titanate (PLZT). The structural design was considered using numerical simulation. The SPR conditions were calculated with regard to thickness combinations of PLZT and metal (Ag) films. Depending on these combinations, a sensing range can be tuned on the order of 10-3 to 10-4 RIU with a sensitivity of 106 rad/RIU. However, to realize these performances, the manufacturing accuracy of Ag thin films must be better than 0.1 nm.
-  A. A. G. Bruzzone, H. L. Costa, P. M. Lonardo, and D. A. Lucca, “Advances in engineered surfaces for functional performance,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, pp. 750-769, 2008.
-  T. Jiang, Z. Guo, and W. Liu, “Biomimetic superoleophobic surfaces: focusing on their fabrication and applications,” J. Mater. Chem. A, Vol.3, pp. 1811-1827, 2015.
-  L. Li, M. Hong, M. Schmidt, M. Zhong, A. Malshe, B. H. in’tVeld, and V. Kovalenko, “Laser nano-manufacturing - State of the art and challenges,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.60, pp. 735-755, 2011.
-  Y. Suzuki, K. Suzuki, M. Michihata, K. Takamasu, and S. Takahashi, “Fabrication of functional microstructures by multi-beam interference lithography using evanescent light,” Proc. Int. Conf. on Precision Engineering (ICPE), pp. 686-689, 2016.
-  M. L. Anne, E. L. G. La Salle, B. Bureaua, J. Tristant, F. Brochot, C. Boussard-Plédel, H. L. Ma, X. H. Zhang, and J. L. Adam, “Polymerisation of an industrial resin monitored by infrared fiber evanescent wave spectroscopy,” Sensors and Actuators B, Vol.137, pp. 687-691, 2009.
-  W. S. Park, M. Y. Kim, H. G. Lee, H. S. Cho, and M. C. Leu, “In-process layer surface inspection of SLA products,” Proc. SPIE, Vol.3517, Intelligent Systems in Design and Manufacturing, pp. 70-78, 1998.
-  A. S. Jariwala, R. E. Schwerzel, M. Werve, and D. W. Rosen, “Two-dimensional real-time interferometric monitoring system for exposure controlled projection lithography,” ASME. Int. Symposium on Flexible Automation, pp. 457-464, 2012.
-  Y. Kajihara, T Takeuchi, S. Takahashi, and K. Takamasu, “Development of an in-process confocal positioning system for nano-stereolithography using evanescent light,” Int. J. of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 51-54, 2008.
-  M. Michihata, K, Takamasu, and S. Takahashi, “Proposal of in-process measurement for micro-stereolithography using surface plasmon resonance,” Physics Procedia, Vol.83, pp. 964-970, 2016.
-  J. de Boer, R. J. Visser, and G. P. Melis, “Time-resolved determination of volume shrinkage and refractive index change of thin polymer films during photo polymerization,” Polymer, Vol.33, No.6, pp. 1123-1126, 1992.
-  A. K. O’Brien and C. N. Bowman, “Impact of oxygen on photopolymerization kinetics and polymer structure,” Macromolecules, Vol.39, pp. 2501-2506, 2006.
-  S. Takahashi, Y. Kajihara, and K. Takamasu, “Submicrometer thickness layer fabrication for layer-by-layer microstereolithography using evanescent light,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, pp. 219-222., 2012.
-  M. Kagami, T. Yamashita, and H. Ito, “Light-induced self-written three-dimensional optical waveguide,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.79, No.5, pp. 1079-1081, 2001.
-  T. Hayashi, Y. Takaya, and D. Lee, “LCD microstereolithography of photosensitive resin with functional particles,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 12-189, 2008.
-  A. H. Harvey, S. G. Kaplan, and J. H. Burnett, “Effect of dissolved air on the density and refractive index of water,” Int. J. of Thermophysics, Vol.26, No.4, pp. 1495-1514, 2005.
-  J. Homola, S. S. Yee, and G. Gauglitz, “Surface plasmon resonance sensors: Review,” Sensors and Actuators B, Vol.54, pp. 3-15, 1999.
-  P. B. Johnson and R. W. Christy, “Optical constants of the noble metals,” Physical Review B, Vol.6, No.12, pp. 4370-4379, 1972.
-  G. H. Haertling, “PLZT electrooptic materials and applications – a review,” Ferroelectrics, Vol.75, No.1, pp. 25-55, 1987.
-  G. Yi, Z. Wu, and M. Sayer, “Preparation of Pb(Zr,Ti)O3 thin films by sol gel processing: Electrical, optical, and electro-optic properties,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol.64, No.5, pp. 2717-2724, 1988.
-  T. Goto, H. Sato, H. Takagi, A. V. Baryshev, and M. Inoue, “Novel magnetophotonic crystals controlled by the electro-optic effect for non-reciprocal high-speed modulators,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol.109, 07B756, 2011.
-  P. D. Thacher, “Refractive index and surface layers of ceramic (Pb,La)(Zr,Ti)O3 compounds,” Applied Optics, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 3210-3213, 1977.
-  X. Y. He, A. L. Ding, Y. Zhang, Z. P. Cao, and P. S. Qiu, “Influence of film thickness on optical properties of PLZT thin films derived from MOD method,” Key Engineering Materials, Vol.280-283, pp. 231-234, 2005.
-  S. Kondo, T. Yamada, M. Yoshino, T. Shiota, K. Shinozaki, and T. Nagasaki, “Significant suppression of island growth in epitaxial (Pb,La)(Zr,Ti)O3 thin films by two-step growth technique,” J. of the Ceramic Society of Japan, Vol.124, No.10, pp. 1127-1131, 2016.
-  Ø. Nordseth, T. Tybell, and J. K. Grepstad, “Epitaxial (Pb,La)(Zr,Ti)O3 thin films on buffered Si(100) by on-axis radio frequency magnetron sputtering,” Thin Solid Film, Vol.517, pp. 2623-2626, 2009.
-  I. Ishikawa, K. Sakura, D. Fu, S. Yamada, H. Suzuki, and T. Hayashi, “Effect of PbTiO3 seeding layer on the growth of Sol-Gel-derived Pb(Zr0.53,Ti0.47)O3 thin film,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol.37, pp. 5128-5131, 1998.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.