Dynamic Simulation of an Electric Stair-Climbing Wheelchair
Giuseppe Quaglia*,†, Matteo Nisi*, Walter Franco*, and Luca Bruzzone**
*Politecnico di Torino
Corso Duca degli Abruzzi 24, 10129 Turin, Italy
**University of Genoa, Via Opera Pia 15A, 16145 Genoa, Italy
-  B. Sapey, J. Stewart, and G. Donaldson, “The social implications of increases in wheelchair use,” Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK, 2004.
-  N. Vignier, J. F. Ravaud, M. Winance, F. X. Lepoutre, and I. Ville, “Demographics of wheelchair users in France: results of national community-based handicaps-incapacites-dependance surveys,” J. of rehabilitation medicine, Vol.40, No.3, 231-239, 2008.
-  U.S Census Bureau, “Americans with Disabilities: 2010,” 2012.
-  L. Bruzzone and G. Quaglia, “Review article: locomotion systems for ground mobile robots in unstructured environments,” Mechanical Sciences, Vol.3, pp. 49-62, 2012.
-  T. He, M. Bando, M. Guarnieri, and S. Hirose, “The Development of an Autonomous Robot System for Patrolling in Multi-Floor Structured Environment,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 13-21, 2012.
-  J. Han, X. Li, and Q. Qin, “Design of Two-Wheeled Self-Balancing Robot Based on Sensor Fusion Algorithm,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 216-221, 2014.
-  S. Yu, T. Wang, Y. Wang, D. Zhi, C. Yao, X. Li, and Z. Wang, “A tip-over and slippage stability criterion for stair-climbing of a wheelchair robot with variable geometry single tracked mechanism,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Information and Automation (ICIA), pp. 88-93, 2012.
-  R. T. Quigg, “Stair-climbing wheelchair,” U.S. Patent No.6, 857, 490, Feb. 22, 2005.
-  M. J. Lawn and T. Ishimatsu, “Modeling of a stair-climbing wheelchair mechanism with high single step capability,” Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 323-332, 2003.
-  R. Morales, V. Feliu, A. Gonzalez, and P. Pintado, “Coordinated motion of a new staircase climbing wheelchair with increased passenger comfort,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Orlando, Florida, USA, pp. 3995-4001, 2006.
-  R. Morales, V. Feliu, and A. González, “Optimized obstacle avoidance trajectory generation for a reconfigurable staircase climbing wheelchair,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.58, No.1, pp. 97-114, 2010.
-  J. Yuan and S. Hirose, “Zero Carrier: A Novel Eight Leg-Wheels Hybrid Stair Climbing,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.1, 44-51, 2005.
-  G. Quaglia, D. Maffiodo, W. Franco, S. Appendino, and R. Oderio, “The Epi. q-1 hybrid mobile robot,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.29, No.1, pp. 81-91, 2009.
-  U. Saranli, M. Buehler, and D. E. Koditschek, “RHex: A Simple and Highly Mobile Hexapod Robot,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.20, No.7, pp. 616-631, 2001.
-  G. Quaglia, W. Franco, and R. Oderio, “Wheelchair. q, a mechanical concept for a stair climbing wheelchair,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), Guilin, China, pp. 800-805, 2009.
-  G. Quaglia, W. Franco, and R. Oderio, “Wheelchair. q, a motorized wheelchair with stair climbing ability,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.46, No.11, pp. 1601-1609, 2011.
-  G. Quaglia, W. Franco, and M. Nisi, “Design of a Reconfiguration Mechanism for an electric Stair-climbing Wheelchair,” Proc. of the Int. Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition (IMECE), Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2014.
-  G. Quaglia, W. Franco, and M. Nisi, “Evolution of Wheelchair. q, a Stair-climbing Wheelchair,” Proc. of the 14th World Congress in Mechanism and Machine Science, Taipei, Taiwan, 2015.
-  G. Quaglia, W. Franco, and M. Nisi, “Analysis of the Static Stability for an Electric Stair-Climbing Wheelchair,” Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Robotics in Alpe-Adria-Danube Region (RAAD), Belgrade, Serbia, 2016.
-  G. Quaglia, L. Bruzzone, R. Oderio, and R. Razzoli, “Epi.q Mobile robots family,” Proc. of the ASME 2011 Int. Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, Denver, Colorado, 11-17 November 2011.
-  G. Quaglia, R. Oderio, L. Bruzzone, and R. Razzoli, “A modular approach for a family of ground mobile robots,” Int. J. of Advanced Robotic Systems, Vol.10, 2013.
-  G. Quaglia and M. Nisi, “Design and Optimization of a Self-Leveling Cam Mechanism for a Stair Climbing Wheelchair,” unpublished.
-  K. Kato, H. Seki, and M. Hikizu, “3-D Obstacle Detection Using Laser Range Finder with Polygonal Mirror for Powered Wheelchair,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.4, pp. 373-380, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.