Teleoperating System for Manipulating a Moon Exploring Robot on the Earth
Kiyoshi Hoshino*, Naoki Igo**,†, Motomasa Tomida***, and Hajime Kotani***
*University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
**National Institute of Technology, Asahikawa College
2-2-1-6 Shunkodai, Aasahikawa, Hokkaido 071-8142, Japan
***Crescent, Inc., Tokyo, Japan
Such a teleoperating system has been needed that enables scientists on the earth to make a moon-exploring robot carry out geological explorations on the moon by means of the same movements as their movements on the earth. Studies have been carried out on moon-exploring robot teleoperating systems to reproduce the operator’s movements. However, an existing complete-contact type of unit for measuring the movements has disadvantages in that it is large-sized, requiring skill acquirement and it is likely to restrict the operator’s free movements, making precise movements impossible. To overcome these disadvantages, we have made a study on a teleoperating system equipped with an almost non-contact type of movement measuring unit. It was verified whether our originally-developed teleoperating system proposed herein might be capable of making the robot perform fine hand movement tasks with no need for skill acquirement and no restriction on operator’s movements. The result demonstrated that the proposed teleoperating system is capable of manipulating the robot by means of operator’s movements, which reproduce those in geological explorations on the moon.
-  http://lunar.xprize.org/ [Accessed September 1, 2016]
-  http://kazusa.net/uzume/ [Accessed September 15, 2016]
-  G. Liu, Y. Liu, H. Zhang, X. Gao, J. Yuan, and W. Zheng, “The Kapvik Robotic Mast: An Innovative Onboard Robotic Arm for Planetary Exploration Rovers,” IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 34-44, 2015.
-  X. Ning and L. Liu, “A Two-Mode INS/CNS Navigation Method for Lunar Rovers,” IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol.63, No.9, pp. 2170-2179, 2014.
-  A. Omer, K. Hashimoto, H. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Study of Bipedal Robot Walking Motion in Low Gravity: Investigation and Analysis,” Int. J. of Advanced Robotic Systems, Vol.11, No.9, 139, pp. 1-14, 2014.
-  G. Hegde, C. Ye, C. Robinson, A. Stroupe, and E. Tunstel, “Computer-Vision-Based Wheel Sinkage Estimation for Robot Navigation on Lunar Terrain,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 1346 -1356, 2013.
-  K. Furutani, “Concept of Inflatable Outer Wheel Rover for Exploration of Lunar and Planetary Holes and Subsurface Caverns,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.10, No.4, pp. 584-590, 2016.
-  K. Hoshino, N. Igo, T. Motomasa, and H. Kotani, “A robot on the moon makes the same motions as you do on the earth,” Proc. 59th Space Sciences and Technology Conf., 2D14, pp. 1-3, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  S. Niitsu, R. Tamura, and H. Hiraoka, “Detection of Contact Point of Parts Using a Force Sensor for Remote-Controlled Assembly Using a 1DOF Haptic Device,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.6, pp. 747-755, 2015.
-  A. Alvarez-Aguirre, N. van de Wouw, T. Oguchi, and H. Nijmeijer, “Predictor-Based Remote Tracking Control of a Mobile Robot,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.22, No.6, pp. 2087-2102, 2014.
-  Y. Toda and N. Kubota, “Self-Localization Based on Multiresolution Map for Remote Control of Multiple Mobile Robots,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Informatics, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 1772-1781, 2013.
-  A. Wang, J. Ramos, J. Mayo, W. Ubellacker, J. Cheung, and S. Kim, “The HERMES humanoid system: A platform for full-body teleoperation with balance feedback,” 2015 IEEE-RAS 15th Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots, pp. 730-737, 2015.
-  M. Mitsuishi, A. Morita, N. Sugita, S. Sora, R. Mochizuki, K. Tanimoto, Y. M. Baek, H. Takahashi, and K. Harada, “Master-slave robotic platform and its feasibility study for microneurosurgery,” The Int. J. of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 180-189, 2013.
-  S. Ueki, T. Mouri, T. Endo, and H. Kawasaki, “Study on stiffness visualization and safety control based on will-consensus building for tele-palpation robot system,” Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 31-36, 2016.
-  K. Hoshino, T. Kasahara, M. Tomida, and T. Tanimoto, “Gesture-world environment technology for mobile manipulation – remote control system of a robot with hand pose estimation –,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 180-190, 2012.
-  K. Hoshino and I. Kawabuchi, “Pinching at finger tips for humanoid robot hand,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.6, pp. 655-663, 2005.
-  K. Hoshino, “Control of speed and power in a humanoid robot arm using pneumatic actuators for human-robot coexisting environment,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems, Vol.E91-D, No.6, pp. 1693-1699, 2008.
-  N. Igo and K. Hoshino, “Control of Pneumatic Robots Using Variable Offset Pressure Controller,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 1024-1030, 2011.
-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KWkUPNDziY/ [Accessed August 10, 2016]
-  K. Hoshino, “Ultraminiature Camera-based Hand Pose Estimation,” Proc. 18th Int. Conf. on Mechatronics Technology (ICMT), Vol.18, No.77, pp. 1-8, 2014.
-  M. Tomida and K. Hoshino, “Wearable device for high-speed hand pose estimation with a miniature camera,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.27, No.2, pp. 167-173, 2015.
-  K. Hoshino, S. Sugimura, M. Tomida, N. Igo, I. Kawano, and M. Sumitani, “Hand motion capture for medical usage,” Proc. 3rd Intl. Conf. Biomedical and Bioinformatics Engineering, pp. 1-5, 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.