Development of an Automated System for the Selective Harvesting of Radicchio
Michele Gabrio Antonelli*,†, Pierluigi Beomonte Zobel*, Francesco Durante*, and Terenziano Raparelli**
*Department of Industrial and Information Engineering and Economics, University of L’Aquila
Via G. Gronchi, 18 67100 L’Aquila, Italy
**Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Politecnico, Torino, Italy
-  S. Y. Nof, “Handbook of automation 1st ed.,” Springer, 2009.
-  Q. Zhang, “Opportunity of robotics in specialty crop production,” IFAC Proc. Volumes, Vol.46, No.9, pp. 38-39, 2013.
-  M. Ruiz-Altisent, J. Ortiz-Cañavate, and C. Valero, “Fruit and vegetables harvesting systems,” Production Practices and Quality Assesment of Food Crops, Vol.1, Springer Netherlands, pp. 261-285, 2004.
-  Y. Nagasaka, N. Umeda, Y. Kanetai, K. Taniwaki, and Y. Sasaki, “Autonomous guidance for rice transplanting using global positioning and gyroscopes,” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Vol.43, No.3, pp. 223-234, 2004.
-  M. Iida, M. Suguri, R. Uchida, M. Ishibashi, H. Kurita, C. Won-Jae, R. Masuda, and K. Ohdoi, “Advanced Harvesting System by using a Combine Robot,” IFAC Proc. Volumes, Vol.46, No.4, pp. 40-44, 2013.
-  Z. Zhang, N. Noguchi, K. Ishii, L. Yang, and C. Zhang, “Development of a robot combine harvester for wheat and paddy harvesting,” IFAC Proc. Volumes, Vol.46, No.4, pp. 45-48, 2013.
-  C. W. Bac, E. J. van Henten, J. Hemming, and Y. Edan, “Harvesting Robots for High-value Crops: State-of-the-art Review and Challenges Ahead,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.31, No.6, pp. 888-911, 2014.
-  A. Bechar and C. Vigneault, “Agricultural robots for field operations: Concepts and components,” Biosystems Engineering, Vol.149, pp. 94-111, 2016.
-  S. Bachche, “Deliberation on Design Strategies of Automatic Harvesting Systems: A Survey,” Robotics, Vol.4, pp. 194-222, 2015.
-  A. Gongal, S. Amatya, M. Karkee, Q. Zhang, and K. Lewis, “Sensors and systems for fruit detection and localization: A review,” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Vol.116, pp. 8-19, 2015.
-  E. J. Pekkeriet, E. J. Van Hente, and J. B. Campen, “Contribution of innovative technologies to new developments in horticulture,” Acta Hortic., Vol.1099, pp. 45-54, 2015.
-  M. Monta and K. Namba, “Mobile Quality Evaluation Robot for Making Agricultural Products Traceable,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 238-242, 2014.
-  M. Yuasa and I. Mizuuchi, “A control Method for a Swarm of Plant Pot Robots that Uses Artificial Potential Fields for Effective Utilization of Sunlight,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.26, No.4, pp. 505-512, 2014.
-  N. Sivakumar, P. Kulkarni, and M. D. Nandesh, “Automatic Recognition and Harvesting of Ripe Tomatoes under Greenhouse Conditions – A Survey,” Int. J. of Innovative Research in Electrical, Electronics, Instrumentation and Control Engineering, Vol.3, No.12, pp. 40-42, 2015.
-  H. Mohamadi, M. Omid, and R. Alimardani, “Detection of red ripe tomatoes on stem using Image Processing Techniques,” J. of American Science, Vol.7, No.7, pp. 376-379, 2011.
-  N. B. Ghozlen, Z. G. Cerovic, C. Germain, S. Toutain, and G. Latouche, “Non-Destructive Optical Monitoring of Grape Maturation by Proximal Sensing,” Sensor, Vol.10, No.11, pp. 10040-10068, 2010.
-  Y. Sarig, “Potential Applications of Artificial Olfactory Sensing for Quality Evaluation of Fresh Produce,” J. AGric. Engng. Res., Vol.77, No.3, pp. 239-258, 2000.
-  M. Li, D. C. Slaughter, and J. F. Thompson, “Optical chlorophyll sensing system for banana ripening,” Postharvest Biology and Technology, Vol.12, pp. 273-283, 1997.
-  T. Raparelli, P. Beomonte Zobel, and F. Durante, “Development of a picking device of an orange harvesting machine,” ICFP Proc. of the 6th Int. Conf. on Fluid Power Transmission and Control, pp. 335-339, 2005.
-  N. Irie, N. Taguchi, T. Horie, and T. Ishimatss, “Development of Asparagus Harvester Coordinated with 3-D Vision Sensor,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.5, pp. 583-589, 2009.
-  N. Kondo and M. Monta, “Fruit Harvesting Robotics,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 321-325, 1999.
-  T. Mitsui, T. Kobayashi, T. Kagiya, A. Inaba, and S. Ooba, “Verification of a Weeding Robot “AIGAMO-ROBOT” for Paddy Fields,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 228-233, 2008.
-  J. Liu, P. Li, and Z. Li, “A Multi-Sensory End-Effector for Spherical Fruit Harvesting Robot,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Automation and Logistics, pp. 258-262, Aug. 2007.
-  M. G. Antonelli, L. Auriti, P. Beomonte Zobel, and T. Raparelli, “Development of a New Harvesting Module for Saffron Flower Detachment,” Romanian Review of Precisione Mechanics, Optics and Mechatronics, Vol.39, pp. 163-168, 2011.
-  T. Raparelli, P. Beomonte Zobel, M. G. Antonelli, and F. Durante, “An experience on the Automation of Plant Cutting Technique for Propagating Plants,” Proc. of the 7textrmth JFPS Symposium on Fluid Power, pp. 809-814, Sep. 2008.
-  B. Jia, A. Zhu, S. X. Yang, and G. S. Mittal, “Integrated Gripper and Cutter in a Mobile Robotic System for Harvesting Greenhouse Products,” Proc. of the 2009 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, pp. 1778-1783, Dec. 2009.
-  A. P. Chatzimichali, I. P. Georgilas, and V. D. Tourassis, “Design of an advanced prototype robot for white asparagus harvesting,” Proc. of 2009 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp. 887-892, Jul. 2009.
-  G. Belforte, R. Deboli, P. Gay, P. Piccarolo, and D. Ricauda Aimonino, “Robot Design and Testing for Greenhouse Applications,” Biosystems Engineering, Vol.95, No.3, pp. 309-321, 2006.
-  D. D. Bochtis, C. G. C. Sorensen, and P. Busato, “Advances in agricultural machinery management: A review,” Biosystems Engineering, Vol.126, pp. 69-81, 2014.
-  I. A. Hameed, A. la Cour-Harbo, and O. L. Osen, “Side-to-Side 3D coverage pathe planning approach for agricultural robots to minimize skip/overlap areas between swaths,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.76, pp. 36-45, 2016.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Aida, and T. Hashimoto, “Muscle Suit Development and Factory Application,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, pp. 709-715, 2009.
-  E. Yagi, D. Harada, and M. Kobayashi, “Upper-limb Power-Assit Control for Agriculture Load Lifting,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, pp. 716-722, 2009.
-  M. Lucchin, S. Varotto, G. Barcaccia, and P. Parrini, “Chicory and endive,” I. Vegetables, J. Prohen and F. Nuez (Eds.), New York, Springer, pp. 3-48, 2008.
-  M. M. Foglia and G. Reina, “Agricultural Robot for Radicchio Harvesting,” J. of Field Robotic, Vl.23, No.6/7, pp. 363-377, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.