Precision Drilling of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics with Ball Nose End Mills
2-39-1 Kurokami, Chuou-ku, Kumamoto-shi, Kumamoto, Japan
†Corresponding author, E-mail: email@example.com
Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics (CFRP) is well known as a Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics (CFRP) is well known as a difficult-to-cut material that has very strong physical and mechanical characteristics. Drilling technique of CFRP that is one of the most important cutting operations is currently carried out in the aviation and automotive industries, among others. Parts manufactured from CFRP have many precision holes used as rivet holes and for various purposes. There are typicaly many problems involved in the precision drilling processes of CFRP plate such as burrs, chippings and delaminations of composite materials, and the rapid wear of the drilling tools. In this research study, various twist drill bits, square end mills and ball noses end mills made of materials including cemented-carbide, TiAlN PVD-coated cemented carbide, Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC) coated cemented carbide and high-speed steel, are tested. CFRP drilling tests without coolant are carried out on vertical machining centers. It is found that the ball nose end mill is the most suitable for drilling CFRP composite materials.
-  Composite product solutions, http://www.sandvik.coromant.com [accessed Jan. 24, 2016]
-  E. Brinksmeier and R. Janssen, “Drilling of Multi-Layer Composite Materials consisting of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics (CFRP),” Titanium and Aluminum Alloys, Annals of the CIRP 51, pp. 87-90, 2002.
-  C. C. Tsao, “Investigation into the effects of drilling parameters on delamination by various step-core drills,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.206, pp. 405-411, 2008.
-  I. Shyhaa, S. L. Sooa, D. Aspinwalla, and S. Bradley, “Effect of laminate configuration and feed rate on cutting performance when drilling holes in carbon fibre reinforced plastic composites,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.210, pp. 1023-1034, 2010.
-  E. Brinksmeier, S. Fangmann, and R. Rentsch, “Drilling of composites and resulting surface integrity,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.60, pp. 57-60, 2011.
-  U. Heisela and T. Pfeifroth, “Influence of Point Angle on Drill Hole Quality and Machining Forces when Drilling CFRP,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 471-476, 2012.
-  V. A. Phadnis, F. Makhdum, A. Roy, and V. V. Silberschmidt, “Experimental and numerical investigations in conventional and ultrasonically assisted drilling of CFRP laminate,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 455-459, 2012.
-  H. Tanaka, K. Ohta, R. Takizawa, and K. Yanagi, “Experimental Study on Tilted Planetary Motion Drilling for CFRP,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 443-448, 2012.
-  V. Krishnaraj, A. Prabukarthi, A. Ramanathan, N. Elanghovan, M. S. Kumar, R. Zitoune, and J. P. Davim, “Optimization of machining parameters at high speed drilling of carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) laminates,” Composites, Part B 43, pp. 1791-1799, 2012.
-  Composite Machining Guide, http://www.kennametal.com [accessed Jan. 24, 2016]
-  Machining carbon fibre materials, http://www.sandvik.coromant. com [accessed Jan. 24, 2016]
-  H. K. Tönshoff, T. Friemuth, and M. Groppe, “High efficient circular milling – A solution for an economical machining of bore holes in composite materials (CFK, Aluminium),” Proceedings of 3rd international conference on metal cutting and high speed machining, pp. 287-296, 2001.
-  E. Brinksmeier, T. Koch, D. Kube, and A. Walter, “Orbital milling of multi-layer composite materials consisting of aluminium alloy, carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP) and titanium alloys,” Production Engineering Vol. XI/1, Annals of WGP, 2004.
-  S. Sakamoto, Y. Kajiwara, and H. Yasui, “Study on drilling process of CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics), – Influence of cutting tools on machining accuracy –,” Proceedings of autumn conference of JSPE, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  T. Inoue and M. Hagino, “Cutting Characteristics of CFRP Materials with Carbon Fiber Distribution,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.3, 2013.
-  M. Hagino and T. Inoue, “Effect of Carbon Fiber Orientation and Helix Angle on CFRP Cutting Characteristics by End-Milling,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.3, 2013.
-  J. Fujiwara, R. Nagaura, and T. Tashiro, “Drilling of CFRP/Ti6Al4V Stack Board,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.4, 2013.
-  K. Kerrigan and G. E. O'Donnell, “Temperature Measurement in CFRP Milling Using a Wireless Tool-Integrated Process Monitoring Sensor,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.6, 2013.
-  K. Akai, Y. Kageyama, K. Sato, N. Nishino, and K. Kageyama, “AHP Analysis of the Preference of Engineers for Suitable CFRP for Automobile Parts,” International Journal of Automation Technology,” Vol.9, No.3, 2015.
-  S. Tamura and T. Matsumura, “Cutting Force Prediction in Drilling of Unidirectional Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics,” Int. J. of Automation Technology Vol.9 No.1, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.