Kinematics Analysis of a Novel 5-DOF Hybrid Manipulator
Wanjin Guo*,†, Ruifeng Li*, Chuqing Cao**,***, and Yunfeng Gao*
*State Key Laboratory of Robotics and System, Harbin Institute of Technology
92 West Dazhi Street, Nan Gang District, Harbin 150001, China
**School of Mechanical Engineering, Nanjing University of Science and Technology
Xiaolingwei 200, Nanjing 210094, China
***Wuhu HIT Robot Technology Research Institute Co., TLD.
E, Electronic Industrial Park, JiuJiang District, WuHu 241007, China
Application of hybrid robotics is a continuously developing field, as hybrid manipulators have demonstrated that they can combine the benefits of serial structures and parallel mechanisms. In this paper, a novel 5-degree-of-freedom hybrid manipulator is designed. The structure of this manipulator and its kinematics analysis are presented. An innovative closed-form solution was proposed to address the inverse kinematics problem. Additionally, the validity of the closed-form solution was verified via co-simulation using MATLAB and ADAMS. Finally, the reachable workspace of this manipulator was obtained for further optimizing the structure and motion control.
-  M. Okada, H. Kozuka, H. Tachiya, T. Iwasaki, and Y. Yamashita, “Burnishing Process Using Spherical 5-DOF Hybrid-Type Parallel Mechanism with Force Control,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, pp. 243-252, 2014.
-  B. Denkena and F. Flöoter, “Adaptive Cutting Force Control with a Hybrid Axis System,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, pp. 378-384, 2013.
-  Y.-T. Liu, H.-L. Wu, J.-Y. Wang, and Y. Yamagata, “Contact-Type Profile Measuring Device Using Laser Interferometry System Incorporating Hybrid Actuating System,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, pp. 489-497, 2013.
-  D. Pisla, A. Szilaghyi, C. Vaida, and N. Plitea, “Kinematics and workspace modeling of a new hybrid robot used in minimally invasive surgery,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.29, pp. 463-474, 2013.
-  P. Ben-Tzvi, “Experimental validation and field performance metrics of a hybrid mobile robot mechanism,” Journal of Field Robotics, Vol.27, pp. 250-267, 2013.
-  F. Xie, X.-J. Liu, Z. You, and J. Wang, “Type synthesis of 2T1R-type parallel kinematic mechanisms and the application in manufacturing,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.30, pp. 1-10, 2014.
-  F. Xie, X.-J. Liu, and T. Li, “Type Synthesis and Typical Application of 1T2R-Type Parallel Robotic Mechanisms,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol.2013, pp. 1-12, 2013.
-  O. Altuzarra, Y. S. Mart’in, E. Amezua, and A. Hernáandez, “Motion pattern analysis of parallel kinematic machines: A case study,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.25, pp. 432-440, 2009.
-  V. Sangveraphunsiri and K. Chooprasird, “Dynamics and control of a 5-DOF manipulator based on an H-4 parallel mechanism,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.52, pp. 343-364, 2010.
-  L. Wang, J. Wu, J. Wang, and Z. You, “An experimental study of a redundantly actuated parallel manipulator for a 5-DOF hybrid machine tool,” Mechatronics, IEEE/ASME Transactions on, Vol.14, pp. 72-81, 2009.
-  J. Wu, J. Wang, L. Wang, T. Li, and Z. You, “Study on the stiffness of a 5-DOF hybrid machine tool with actuation redundancy,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.44, pp. 289-305, 2009.
-  J. Wu, J. Wang, L. Wang, and T. Li, “Dynamic model and force control of the redundantly actuated parallel manipulator of a 5-DOF hybrid machine tool,” Robotica, Vol.27, pp. 59-65, 2008.
-  S. Jiang, J. Guo, S. Liu, J. Liu, and J. Yang, “Kinematic analysis of a 5-DOF hybrid-driven MR compatible robot for minimally invasive prostatic interventions,” Robotica, Vol.30, pp. 1147-1156, 2012.
-  B. Gherman, D. Pisla, C. Vaida, and N. Plitea, “Development of inverse dynamic model for a surgical hybrid parallel robot with equivalent lumped masses,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.28, pp. 402-415, 2012.
-  M. Zoppi, D. Zlatanov, and R. Molfino, “Kinematics analysis of the Exechon tripod,” ASME 2010 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp. 1381-1388, 2010.
-  H. Liu, J. Mei, X. Zhao, T. Huang, and D. G. Chetwynd, “Inverse dynamics and servomotor parameter estimation of a 2-DOF spherical parallel mechanism,” Science in China Series E: Technological Sciences, Vol.51, pp. 288-301, 2008.
-  H. Liu, T. Huang, J. Mei, X. Zhao, D. G. Chetwynd, M. Li, and S. Jack Hu, “Kinematic Design of a 5-DOF Hybrid Robot with Large Workspace/Limb-Stroke Ratio,” Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol.129, pp. 530-537, 2007.
-  T. Huang, M. Li, X. Zhao, J. Mei, D. G. Chetwynd, and S. J. Hu, “Conceptual design and dimensional synthesis for a 3-DOF module of the TriVariant-a novel 5-DOF reconfigurable hybrid robot,” Robotics, IEEE Transactions on, Vol.21, pp. 449-456, 2005.
-  J. Denavit, “A kinematic notation for lower-pair mechanisms based on matrices,” Trans. of the ASME. Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol.22, pp. 215-221, 1955.
-  B. Siciliano and O. Khatib, “Springer handbook of robotics,” Springer, 2008.
-  D. L. Peiper, “The kinematics of manipulators under computer control,” DTIC Document, 1968.
-  B. Roth, “Performance evaluation of manipulators from a kinematic viewpoint,” NBS Special Publication, Vol.459, pp. 39-62, 1976.