Development of a Wide-Range Precision Positioning Sensor Based on Image Analysis of Diffracted Light
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Aichi Institute of Technology
1247 Yachigusa, Yakusa-cho, Toyota 470-0392, Japan
We propose a wide-range micro- and nano-positioning sensor based on an image sensor. The intensity distribution of a Moiré signal is measured on the image sensor and used for position sensing via Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) analysis. The FFT returns the frequency spectra and phase characteristics of the image. The frequencies caused by the beam divergence, the order of diffraction, and the Moiré signal can then be identified. The sensor can detect position with high accuracy using the phase shift of the Moiré signal. The results also demonstrate a measurement range of up to 6 mm and an estimated standard deviation of 3.3 nm under specified conditions. Moreover, the target position can be set arbitrarily by automatic PI control. This positioning sensor is characterized as using only one sensor to detect position with a high accuracy over a wide measurement range, making it easy to install in existing industrial machines and tools. Moreover, the accuracy and the measurement range are selectable by choosing the appropriate frequency component.
-  M. Madden, M. Aketagawa, S. Uesugi, T. Kumagai, and E. Okuyama, “Spindle Error Motion Measurement Using Concentric Circle Grating and Phase Modulation Interferometers,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.5, pp. 506-513, 2013.
-  Y. Ihara and T. Nagasawa, “Fundamental Study of the On-Machine Measurement in the Machining Center with a Touch Trigger Probe,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.5, pp. 523-536, 2013.
-  K. Fan, K. Zhang, Y. Zhang, and Q. Zhang, “Development of a Non-Contact Focusing Probe for the Measurement of Micro Cavities,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 156-162, 2013.
-  T. Nozaki and J. Otsuka, “Reduction of Thermal Deformation in a Motor Precision Positioning Device Cooled by Peltier Elements,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.5, pp. 544-549, 2013.
-  R. Fujiwara, T. Shinshi, and M. Uehara, “Positioning Characteristics of a MEMS Linear Motor Utilizing a Thin Film Permanent Magnet and DLC Coating,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 148-155, 2013.
-  T. Oiwa, M. Katsuki, M. Karita, W. Gao, S. Makinouchi, K. Sato, and Y. Oohashi, “Questionnaire Survey on Ultra-Precision Positioning,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.6, pp. 766-772, 2011.
-  S. Tsujimura, Y. Hashimoto, T. Matsuoka, T. Hirayama, and K. Sasaki, “Pneumatic Servo Bearing Actuator with Multiple Bearing Pads for Ultraprecise Positioning,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.5, pp. 498-505, 2013.
-  M. Shiraishi and H. Sumiya, “Sensing and Control of Friction in Positioning,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.5, pp. 476-481, 2013.
-  S. Jang, T. Asai, Y. Shimizu, and W. Gao, “Optical Analysis of an Optical Probe for Three-Dimensional Position Detection of Micro-Objects,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.6, pp. 862-865, 2011.
-  B. Choi, Y. Kanamori, and K. Hane, “A micro-displacement encoder using a thin-film resonant photodetector with directional sensitivity,” J. of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, Vol.9, pp. 1087-1094, 2007.
-  E. E. Moon, “Interferometric-Spatial-Phase Imaging for Sub-Nanometer Three-Dimensional Positioning,” Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2004.
-  H. Zhou and M. Feldman, “Sub-nanometer alignment system for x-ray lithography,” J. Vac. Sci. Technol., Vol.B12, pp. 3261, 1994.
-  S. Hattori, Y. Uchida, and V. Chitnis, “An Automatic Super-accurate Positioning Technique Using Moire Interference,” Bulletin of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 73-78, 1986.
-  Y. Uchida and M. Iwata, “Characteristics of Interferometric Measuring System for Sub-Nanometer Positioning,” EUSPEN Conf. Proc., Vol.1, pp. 224-227, 2009.
-  T. Higuchi, T. Kurihara, F. Ozaki, and Y. Uchida, “Micro-nano position control system using interferometric phenomena,” EUSPEN Conf. Proc., Vol.1, pp. 351-354, 2011.