Investigation on Sensitivity of a Contact-Type Thermal Sensor for Surface Defect Inspections
Yuki Shimizu, Yuta Ohba, and Wei Gao
6-6-01 Aramaki Aza-Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
This paper presents an investigation on the sensitivity of a thermal sensor, which will be used as a contact detection sensor for surface defect inspections. In the proposed concept, frictional heat generated at a slight contact between a defect on a measuring surface and the thermal sensor will be utilized to find out existences of defects on the measuring surface. The frictional heat will be detected as a deviation of the electrical resistance of the sensing element in the thermal sensor. According to the principle, the sensor temperature will increase at the contact with defects. However, in the previous research by the authors, the sensor temperature was found to decrease at the contact with the glass-ball probe, whose tip diameter was on the order of several-ten μm. Following the experiments in the previous study, in this paper, further experimental investigation is carried out by employing an AFM probe as a nano-tip probe so that the sensitivity of the thermal sensor as a contact detection sensor for nano-scale defects inspection can be verified. Furthermore, a possible mechanism of the heat flow at the contact interface, which can explain the results observed in these experiments, is also introduced.
-  E. Brinksmeier, Y. Mutlugüunes, F. Klocke, J. C. Aurich, P. Shore, and H. Ohmori, “Ultra-precision grinding,” CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59. pp. 652-671, 2010.
-  B. Marchon and T. Olson, “Magnetic spacing trends: From LMR to PMR and beyond,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.45, pp. 3608-3611, 2009.
-  P. M. Lonardo, “Surface Characterization and Defect Detection by Analysis of Images Obtained with Coherent Light,” CIRP Annals- Manufucturing Technology, Vol.40, pp. 541-544, 1991.
-  K. Takami, “Defect inspection of wafers by laser scattering,” Materials Science and Engineering: B, Vol.44, pp. 181-187, 1997.
-  R. Brun, C. Moulin, and W. Schwarzenbach, “Defect Inspection Challenges and Solutions for Ultra-Thin SOI,” Proc. of The 23rd Annual SEMI Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Conf., pp. 67-71, 2012.
-  C. Xu, J. Lee, V. Sachan, and O. D. Patterson, “Defect Sampling Methodology For Yield Learning During 22nm Process Development,” Proc. of IEEE Advanced Semiconductor Manufavturing Conf., pp. 268-271, 2013.
-  J. Pan and D. H. Tai, “A new strategy for defect inspection by the virtual inspection in semiconductor wafer fabrication,” Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol.60, pp. 16-24, 2011.
-  C. M. Tan and K. T. Lau, “Automated Wafer Defect Map Generation for Process Yield Improvement,” Proc. of the 13th Int. Symposium on Integrated Circuits, pp. 313-316, 2011.
-  http://www.itrs.net [accessed Jan. 14, 2015]
-  D. Meshulach et al., “Advanced lithography: wafer defect scattering analysis at DUV,” Proc. of SPIE, Vol.7638, 76380K, 10pp., 2010.
-  O. Montal, K. Dotat, B. Mebarki, C. Man-Ping, and C. Ngai, “DUV inspection and defect origin analysis for 22nm spacer self-aligned double-patterning,” Solid State Technology, Vol.53, pp. 16-19, 2010.
-  C. Wagner and N. Harned, “EUV Lithography: Lithography gets extreme,” Nature Photonics, Vol.4, pp. 24-26, 2010.
-  R. Attota and R. Silver, “Nanometrology using a through-focus scanning optical microscopy method,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.22, 024002, 10pp., 2011.
-  S. Takahashi, R. Kudo, S. Usuki, and K. Takamasu, “Super resolution optical measurements of nanodefects on Si wafer surface using infrared standing evanescent wave,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.60, pp. 523-526, 2011.
-  Y. Shimizu, W. Lu, Y. Ohba, and W. Gao, “Feasibility study on the concept of thermal contact sensor for nanometre-level defect inspections on smooth surfaces,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.25, 064006, 11pp., 2014.
-  Y. Shimizu, Y. Ohba, and W. Gao, “Investigation on the contact detection sensitivity of thermal contact sensor for surface defect inspection,” Proc. of ICPE2014, pp. 231-234, 2014.
-  Y. Shimizu, Y. Ohba, and W. Gao, “Design of fabrication process of a thermal contact sensor for surface defect inspection,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.8, No.4, No.14-00099, 14pp., 2014.
-  W. Gao, “Precision nanometrology: sensors and measuring systems for nanomanufacturing,” Springer, 2011.
-  Y. Shimizu, Y. Ohba, and W. Gao, “Defect inspection on a nanometric smooth surface by a contact-type micro thermal sensor ?Improvement of a sensor profile and investigation on sensor sensitivity?” Proc. of JSPE, Q18, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  T. Asai, S. Ferfous, Y. Arai, Y. Yang, and W. Gao, “On-Machine Measurement of Tool Cutting Edge Profiles,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, 2009.
-  D. B. Asay and S. H. Kim, “Evolution of the Adsorbed Water Layer Structure on Silicon Oxide at Room Temperature,” J. Phys. Chem. B, Vol.109, pp. 16760-16763, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.