Autonomous Assembly Process Planning According to the Production Line Configuration
Yasuhiro Sudo and Michiko Matsuda
Kanagawa Institute of Technology
1030 Shimo-ogino, Atsugi-shi, Kanagawa 243-0292, Japan
In this study, a virtual production line is used to present a method for generating assembly process-relational plans for a product according to the configurations of the production line and verify the effectiveness of the proposed method. In an autonomous production system, process-relational plans are generated dynamically by agents based on process-relation graphs. Usually, such process-relation graphs are not determined uniquely and often have some degrees of freedom. Therefore, more practical and efficient assembly process-relational plans would be obtained if process-relation graphs were rewritten according to changes in the configurations of actual production lines. In the proposed method, process-relation graphs are rewritten dynamically by agents using two simple rewriting rules. The results from simulations on a virtual assembly line provided that the progress of the assembly job differs with the quantities of invested jobs and machine layouts. Accordingly, the simulation results prove the usefulness of rewriting process-relation graphs according to the configurations of actual shop floors.
-  H. Toba, “Segment-based approach for real-time reactive rescheduling for automatic manufacturing control,” IEEE Trans. on Semiconductor Manufacturing, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 264-272, 2000.
-  M. Sugi, M. Cheng, M. Yamamoto, H. Ito, K. Inoue, and J. Ota, “Online Rescheduling in Semiconductor Manufacturing,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 495-501, 2010.
-  L. Monostori, J. Váancza, and S. Kumara, “Agent-based systems for manufacturing,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.55, No.2, pp. 697-720, 2006.
-  N. Fujii and T. Kaihara, “Reactive Scheduling Strategy based on Production Agents Interaction,” Proc. of The 7th CIRP Int. Seminar on Intelligent Computation in Manufacturing Engineering (ICME2010), (CD-ROM), 2010.
-  M. Matsuda, Y. Ishikawa, vspace-2pt and S. Utsumi, “Configuration of Machine Tool Agents for Flexible Manufacturing,” Proc. of the 39th Int. Conf. on Manufacturing Systems, pp. 351-357, 2006.
-  M. Matsuda and N. Sakao, “Configuration of An Autonomous Decentralized Digital Factory Using Product and Machine Agents,” Innovation in Manufacturing Networks, IFIP Vol.266, pp. 215-222, 2008.
-  H. V. Brussel, J. Wyns, P. Valckenaers, L. Bongaerts, and P. Peeters, “Reference architecture for holonic manufacturing systems: Prosa,” Computers in Industry, Vol.37, Issue 3, pp. 255-274, 1998.
-  D. C. McFarlane and S. Bussman, “Developments in Holonic Production Planning and Control,” Production Planning and Control, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 522-536, 2000.
-  N. Sugimura, R. Shrestha, and J. Inoue, “Integrated process planning and scheduling in holonic manufacturing systems – Optimization based on shop time and machining cost,” Proc. of the 2003 IEEE Int. Symposium on Assembly and Task Planning, pp. 36-41, 2003.
-  N. Sakao, M. Matsuda, and Y. Sudo, “Assembly planning for an autonomous decentralized manufacturing system led by a product part agent,” Proc. of 42nd CIRP Int. Seminar on Manufacturing Systems (CD-ROM), 2009.
-  Y. Sudo, N. Sakao, and M. Matsuda, “An Agent Behavior Technique in an Autonomous Decentralized Manufacturing System,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design Systems and Manufacturing, Vol.4, No.3, pp. 673-682, 2010.
-  Y. Sudo, K. Kasiwase, and M. Matsuda, “Verification of scheduling efficiency of an autonomous assembly system using the multi-agent manufacturing simulator,” Proc. of the ASME Int. Symposium on Flexible Automation (CD-ROM), 2012.
-  M. Matsuda and F. Kimura, “Configuration of the Digital Eco-Factory for Green Production,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.3, pp.289-295, 2012.
-  G. Boothroyd, “Product design for manufacture and assembly,” Computer-Aided Design, Vol.26, Issue 7, pp. 505-520, 1994.
-  E. Morinaga, M. Yamada, H. Wakamatsu, and E. Arai, “Flexible Process Planning Method for Milling,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.5, pp. 700-707, 2011.
-  E. Arai and N. Uchiyama, “Manufacturing Data Separation Based Plan Generation in Single Batch Assembly Systems,” Systems Contorol and Infomation, Vol.39, No.10, pp. 541-548, 1995.
-  L. S. Homem de Mello and A. C. Sanderson, “A correct and complete algorithm for the generation of mechanical assembly sequences,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 228-240, 1991.
-  Y. Sudo, K. Kashiwase, and M. Matsuda, “The Implementability of Agent Based Autonomous Decentralized Assembly System,” Proc. of Int. Symposium on Scheduling, pp. 101-106, 2011.
-  Y. Sudo and M. Matsuda, “The Rewriting Strategy of an Assembly Process Plan for Production Efficiency in an Agent-Based Manufacturing,” Proc. of the ISCIE/ASME Int. Symposium on Flexible Automation, (CD-ROM), 2014.
-  Kozo Keikaku Engineering Inc., Artisoc User Manual English Edition, http://mas.kke.co.jp/modules/tinyd0/index.php?id=9 [accessed December 1, 2014]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.